AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2010-04-07, 2:45am

Default Feedback on HellCat

Has anyone any feedback on the HellCat ? I specifically want to know how big the outer flame is, whether it is a soft or an agressive flame (I don't like the latter) and if it would run on two 5 lpm concentrators.
And what about the WildCat ?

Thanks !

Sea Rocks Tutorial
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Ebook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2010-04-07, 7:21am

I used the WildCat in a class that I taught. I really liked it. The flame was not agressive, but not to soft either (sound like Goldilocks) it was just right. The flame was large enough for my big beads too. I thought about getting one but never did because I really don't need another torch. If I were to get another one though, I would seriously consider that one.

Old 2010-04-07, 8:36am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

I have a wildcat. I love it. I like making goddesses and mermaids several inches long, and bug millefiore gathers to pull. I can adjust the flame to be smaller like a mini CC, or bigger if I wanted to do boro. It's nice and hot and great for melting the glass faster on tanked oxy.

I also have two 5 LPM oxy cons. I had my mini cc hooked up for about a year, but I didn't like using it due to how much oxy they need as it maintained a very weak flame, so I recently exchanged the cc for my Lynx to see how that it would do. Much better. Clearly the Lynx uses less oxygen. I have not hooked up the wildcat. Being that the mini CC has 7 ports, and the wildcat has 19, I assume that it wouldn't be hot enough.

If you have tried the mini CC, the flame is similar in shape to the wildcat. It has a bit of fluff to it for radiating heat to keep bigger work warm, but it doesn't bother my hands for working.

In conclusion, I love my wildcat on tanked oxygen, but not on two 5 lpm. oxy cons.

Old 2010-04-07, 10:56am
Torch junkie

I have a hellcat and also love it. Like Cynthia, I find that the outer flame is not too soft and not too aggressive, it's just right. Two 5 lpm concentrators will run the center fire ok for soft glass but it's a bit weak for boro. I had a wildcat for a while but ended up selling it to trade up to the hellcat, because I couldn't get the small minni cc center fire on the wildcat that I can get on the hellcat. I think the hellcat is the best of both worlds, you can get a tiny flame like with a minni cc, but then when you need the extra heat and power you can turn on the outer flame and get the large flame. I would say that the flame sizes you can get range from a small needle flame to a large 1 to 1¼ inch flame. I have made small beads as well as 2 inch soft glass marbles with the hellcat and can easily do anything in between. It also has plenty of power for working boro glass, but the boro works better with tanked oxy.

"It's not the torch you have that makes you better. It's what you learn to do with the torch you have, that makes you better."
Old 2010-04-07, 11:33am
Mandrel Slayer

I have a Hellcat and love it. I use 2 m-15s and with both burners it is not going full tilt but its good enough for what I do. You can always combine the 5 lpms for the inner flame and hook up a tank to the outer. For beads, I rarely ever need the outer; I use it for big beads and off mandrel implosions.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.

Last edited by playingwithfirebeads; 2010-04-07 at 11:33am. Reason: sp
Old 2010-04-07, 11:51am

Sounds like the Hellcat is the kind of torch I'm looking for. How does it compare with the Lucio burner ?

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2010-04-07, 12:59pm
Torch junkie

I tried the Lucio burner at the gathering and found it was a lot like the wildcat. It's a great torch and has a lot of heat, but I couldn't get the tiny focused flame like I can with the minni cc or the hellcat. I guess it just depends on the type of work that you do, if you make everything from small beads to large sculpture and marbles, then I would definitely pay the extra cost and get the hellcat. But if you mostly do medium to large work, then the wildcat or the Lucio burner would be great!
I run the center fire of my hellcat on the concentrators and have the outer flame on the tanked oxy. I find this setup offers me a lot of versatility and saves me on the cost of tanked oxy. When I find I need something larger, I then switch over to my full sized Carlisle CC and proceed to warm up the sweat shop nicely.

"It's not the torch you have that makes you better. It's what you learn to do with the torch you have, that makes you better."
Old 2010-04-08, 2:18am

Thanks, that helps. I somehow had the idea that the Lucio burner would use less oxy than the Hellcat but that's probably not true. I want to be able to work small without having to revert to a different torch anyway so the Hellcat sounds like the better option.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2010-05-05, 10:14am

Does anyone have experience with both the Hellcat and a Barracuda? I'm wondering what the differences are. I only have experience with the Barracuda.
Old 2010-05-05, 10:31am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhousedc View Post
Does anyone have experience with both the Hellcat and a Barracuda? I'm wondering what the differences are. I only have experience with the Barracuda.
The Hellcat is twice the torch the Barracuda is. Not size-wise, but heat-wise. The Hellcat is hotter than the Tiger Shark I had, which is a step above the Barracuda.

Old 2010-05-05, 6:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Londez View Post
Sounds like the Hellcat is the kind of torch I'm looking for. How does it compare with the Lucio burner ?

I really like the Lucio ! It's a fantastic torch for larger soft glass pieces. I run it on natural gas, and two concentrators.

Old 2010-05-05, 7:53pm

The HellCat is a 2-stage torch, just like the Knight Bullet Burner (it has been said that the HellCat and the Bullet Burner are the same inside) and the Barracuda. As a 2-stage torch, the HellCat will be more versatile than the single stage Wildcat.

The inner flame of the HellCat is the same as the Mini-CC. The Mini-CC likes a lot of oxygen, so two 5lpm concentrators might run the inner flame of the HellCat, but not both the inner and outer flame.

The Wildcat and the Lucio are single stage torches. The Lucio has a large, softer flame ... well suited for the soft-glass sculptural work that Lucio himself does.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-05-06, 6:34am
ManBearPig

Actually, the center fire on the Hellcat is a little more focused than a Mini CC. When you run it wide open, it's not as wide as a Mini CC. Seems a little hotter too.

Old 2010-05-17, 8:05am

The Hellcat and Bullet Burner are both great torches. I like the design of the Bullet a little better, but they are pretty comparable in flame and heat.

Old 2010-06-30, 9:08am
ilene

So... are we posting here that two 5 lpm concentrators might run the Hellcat (inner and outer flame) well enough to consider purchasing that torch, instead of waiting for the Scorpion????

Please guide me with your thoughts on this.
Old 2010-06-30, 9:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icre8art View Post
So... are we posting here that two 5 lpm concentrators might run the Hellcat (inner and outer flame) well enough to consider purchasing that torch, instead of waiting for the Scorpion????
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
The inner flame of the HellCat is the same as the Mini-CC. The Mini-CC likes a lot of oxygen, so two 5lpm concentrators might run the inner flame of the HellCat, but not both the inner and outer flame.
Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-06-30, 9:44am
ilene

Thanks~
Old 2010-06-30, 10:12am
Button Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhousedc View Post
I've been working with the Barracuda for a couple of years now. I recently got a 4-stud Hellcat so I can use a foot pedal. I LOVE it for boro. I think it's a hotter torch. But I like the smaller flame I can get with the Barracuda for soft glass.
Old 2010-09-15, 1:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR Dave View Post
The Hellcat and Bullet Burner are both great torches. I like the design of the Bullet a little better, but they are pretty comparable in flame and heat.
I just received the used Hellcay from E-Bay today! Thank Ross and everyone again. It was doubled boxed with more peanuts than an elephant would eat in a day! Now way you could have hurt the thing without just running it over with a steamroller! I appreciate all the information and commnication from ABR as well. Very nce people to deal with. There was even the offer to drive up and test it and some others out before I bought it.

A friend told me you could not go wrong dealing with ABR and they lived up to every claim he made. Can not wait to get to go into in tonight to check it out! I was expecting something smaller really, but think I made a very good choice for my first torch! I was glad I was able to find so much information on here before I bought it. Thanks to everyone on here for their 2 cents!

I did notice one thing about the Crowley Marver I did not like and made a few modifications to the mount. When the mounting bracket was placed on the back of the torch base, the knobs were a little hard for me to get my big fingers on. (I guess being designed for the mini cc, with only 2 valves, there no such issues). I moved the mount plate to the front of the torch base to mover the marver more forward. This made the knobs much easier to get to. This also made the corners of the marver mount rub one of the oxygen feed tubes. I just rounded out the 2 corners of the mount a little bit and now there is just enough clearence between the torch and mount and no sharp edges that could damage or puncture the tube.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me find my first torch!
Old 2010-09-19, 10:10pm

I got to run the Hellcat tonight and my friend/teacher checked it out too and made a simple one inch imploded flower marble on it in less than 20 minutes. I pulled some latti's and made a nice 6-7 inch inside out piece with it. I have to say this is way more of a torch than I have been use to with the GTT hand torch (Lynx). The better heat made the work much faster. The range of flames is amazing and there was plenty of heat. I try to run a torch as silent as I can and this thing can produce heat while being quite. My friend even felt he was able to get a center fire that was very similar to his GTT center fire too when he ran more oxy. He also felt the center fire was not as pin point as the CC he use to use but he had never used a mini CC, so he could not compare them. Working only with boro, off tanks and with 5 GTT's in the shop, we both were very impressed for only a few hours of playing with it. I am very happy with the Hellcat since a Phantom was a little out of my budget right now. Cant wait to get it hooked up to a foot petal.