No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-11-09, 5:14pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Default JoolTool

I have been looking at this for a while. Just wondering if anyone here has used it for their beads or gems. Looking for some opinions. Thanks.
Old 2014-11-10, 12:22am
Corgi Cult Member

I have one and love it! I use mine for jewelry work. Cleanup and buffing on sterling have never been so easy. The backpads really do change as fast as they show in the videos. I'm continually switching between the scothbrite pad and the felt wheel.

I haven't ordered the lapidary disks yet, they are rather pricey. My Jooltool came with the water tray, so I should be able to use it as a flat lap once I have those disks.

This summer when there was a lot of humidity in the basement the thinner disks started to peel off the backpads. I was rather bummed, but once I pressed them back down they worked fine.

Before I ordered, I called with a couple questions. To my surprise the lady who created the Jooltool, Anie, placed the return call. She was so helpful and suggested what disks would best suit my needs. Had it not been for her suggestion, I wouldn't have ordered the Scothbrite pad that I now use continually.

The disks and backpads are rather expensive but last a very long time. I have found it to be a very worthwhile purchase!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-11-10, 7:56am

link?
Old 2014-11-10, 9:07am
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

www.jooltool.com a little cheaper on Amazon, but there are about 5 or 6 different prices depending on which one and how many disks are with it.

Kathy, I would love to have your list of what you got from her as far as polishing when you have time if it is not too much trouble? Thanks for all the info. I see one in my future.
Old 2014-11-10, 9:47am
Corgi Cult Member

I ordered the Pro Kit from Amazon then added the Scoth-brite 3s, muslin buffing wheel and finger wrap. I very seldom use the muslin wheel since I like the felt pad so much and I've never used the finger wrap but that might be useful when using more abrasive disks. I have used the ceramic purple for something but can't remember what, (perhaps grinding mandrels?), just remember it worked well. Haven't really used the trizact discs yet. The radial brush takes longer to polish than the felt, but can reach into tight places.

For fabricating sterling, I use the Scothbrite pad a lot. It smooths edges like a dream and cleans up any place I have too much solder. It will also work out any deep scratches. I think it would be possible to give a piece a nice satin finish with this disc.

After cleanup, I use the felt pad to buff the piece. The rouge is a small white bar. It works well and isn't as messy as some others I've used. I have to reapply it often so thought the little bar would be gone in no time, but have been surprised how long it lasts. You do need to follow their directions and condition the felt wheel before using the first time.

After buffing I usually tumble the pieces to harden them, otherwise on larger pieces I would probably give them a final buff with the muslin buffing wheel.

If you think you would like to use it for lapidary, you may want to get the bigger kit. I hated to spend the extra money when I ordered and now wish I had.

My kit came with a DVD which was very helpful. You really can see through the back pads as you work just like it shows.

Can you tell I'm in love with it!

Oh, I noticed when ordering mine the kit names do not necessarily contain the same items depending on the seller, so a Pro kit on Amazon is different than a Pro kit from Jooltool. Made it confusing when deciding where to order because it was harder to compare prices. I decided on Amazon because I was inpatient and could get it shipped Prime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by artwhim; 2014-11-10 at 9:53am.
Old 2014-11-10, 2:20pm
Must..have..more...glass

I fell in love with this at the Metal Clay By The Bay conference in September where I got to try it on some of my metal clay pieces. You really can see through the wheel as you're polishing. I had decided to buy one, but have been told the I'M GETTING ONE FOR MY BIRTHDAY! Can't wait.

Facebook: