Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-10-31, 11:30am

Default Newbie please help

Hey everyone,

I am currently working with a hothead setup. I want to move up to a big boy torch.lol. I was looking at the kit that is below( with the mega minor torch), I was hoping someone could tell me if it was a decent price, and quality. If anyone has a better website, please let me know.

Thank you for your time,
Mrcorriveau

.sundanceglass.com/kitslamp4.htm
Old 2013-10-31, 12:38pm
kinda torching....

Make sure you shop around, I've always heard the Sundance kits to be way overpriced and not always have what you really need.

Check out devardi, abr, artcoinc, wale, mtn glass, etc.
Shop around and you will find some good deals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-11-01, 4:43am
Slogan Challenged...

Hi Welcome to LE!

If you already have a setup for the hh, then I wouldn't see a need to go with a kit as you probably already have the odds and ends that you start with. Pick up what you need to upgrade first, so find a torch - ArtGlassHouse has some good prices for the torches...and I would get the hoses there too if you get the torch (they can check the hose fittings are the right ones for the torch).

Regulator/s - I would get at Devardi. Good price and works fine, (I bought mine there). They also have the best prices on marvers, rollers, fiber blankets, and not bad on mandrels- lots of variety. They have some torch marvers too, those are new so I don't know how they work but you can always pick one up later - I don't think that is a deal breaker.

Oxycons - HobbiesforUs can be recommended sometimes (lowest price and reliable), other vendors as well here, but they are more expensive although they have warranties. A lot of folks pick them up locally from Craig's List, so there is some advice on threads here about what to look for.

If you want to do tanks, many recommend opening an Airgas account to keep the prices down, as you go through them fast.

You're going to have fun, enjoy

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2013-11-01, 9:30am

I dont like starter kits. I think researching and buying the individual tools is an important part of the learning curve so dont short change yourself. Malcolm at Artcoinc.com is a great source for GTT torches and Mountain Glass Arts and ABR cant be beat for materials.
Old 2013-11-01, 3:59pm

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate all of your input. I get my soft glass from devardi. I saw the "Spartan" torch. Has anyone tried it?
Old 2013-11-08, 10:21am
honorary bead lady

Someone had reviewed it with a thumbs up (former member long story) but of course he was getting a lot of free stuff from them
Old 2013-11-08, 12:16pm

I just bought a Spartan from DeVardi. I am a newbie, but I think it is great. And, it has a great price!

Bob Keyes

There is no more powerful cleaning fluid than the spit from your Mother's tongue.