Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-05-02, 6:51am

Default curdled ivory

Hi everyone! OK, I KNOW I "mis-use" most silver glass but What's up with curdled ivory? A couple of months ago I bought some that was definitely labelled "curdled" ivory. The times I've used it nothing much happens at all.
Do I heat the snot out of it, reduce it, I know I should know how to use this glass but I'm drawing a blank.

Thanks

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-05-02, 7:04am
Student!

I love this stuff! I've had no trouble getting it to react with silver but yes, I've had to cook the snot out of it. But then, I have a bad habit of doing that anyway...though I am getting better.

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Old 2013-05-02, 10:28am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Heating and cooling even without silver usually gets some great patterns developing. I usually work a bit hot, so I'm not sure if I am heating the snot out of it. I was told there is a pale crescent moon shape in the end of the original curdled ivory rods. That was the "magic" batch for me. Then came a second batch that I was told was curdled and it wasn't nearly as much fun, darn it.
Old 2013-05-02, 10:31am
Live and Let Live

The CI itself is not a 'silver glass'. Repeated high heat and cool cycles produce the best webbing if you are not adding silver to it.

Old 2013-05-02, 11:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
The CI itself is not a 'silver glass'. Repeated high heat and cool cycles produce the best webbing if you are not adding silver to it.

Thanks, Lisa! I haven't exactly gone this route before so I'll give it a try!

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2013-05-02, 12:29pm
Tweedle Dumb

Duane, after you get it shaped the way you want it, fume it with some silver (or silver glass) and then gently reheat. I don't add the silver to the bead, just the fume... well, most of the time any way.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2013-05-03, 8:33pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Ooooo. Have to try that!
Old 2013-05-03, 9:55pm

one thing about curdled ivory you don't have to do anything to get the reaction
it just happens the minute you put it in the flame.
and the tag says dark ivory

anyway that is what I have
Old 2013-05-05, 4:56am

if you want to have some fun with effetre ivory, do this.

take your silver coin (or silver whatever) and a fine file. file some silver powder off the coin and put that on a pickup plate or marver.
melt a rod or two of ivory into a largish gather, then roll the gather in the silver powder.
heat the shit out of it, and twist it up, then pull out to rod size. you'll get some seriously neat reactions.
Old 2013-05-05, 6:37am
SCIENCE Teacher!

anyone know how much it goes for these days? not that I would part with any of mine!
Old 2013-05-05, 8:27am
uncouthful cats

As I remember reading in many threads, there is curdled ivory, & then there is Curdled Ivory. Like most glass, every batch seems to be a bit different &, while some of the curdled ivories apparently started to curdle just approaching a heat source, others had to be coaxed or coerced, & some never rose to their expected performance levels at all. Those who got Curdled Ivory can feel blessed beyond reason, & those who got the lesser performers have had to make do with what they got.

I hope yours turns out to be one of the better performers, although it sounds like it's not in the Curdled Ivory camp.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2013-05-07, 12:55am
Naysayer

^yes this, but even within batches it seems. Frantz is selling curdled, (not marked as such but he posted that it is), first batch I got was very dark, second was 'just' ivory. First batch rods were lumpy rough.

I prefer the regular dark ivory though! This last batch was just so dark right out of the gate for my tastes.
Old 2013-05-07, 3:48pm

I have some of that lumpy stuff, but haven't melted it yet. How do you find it on the "curdled" scale?

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-05-07, 11:49pm
Naysayer

It's nice, it's dark but reacts well
Old 2013-05-08, 12:09am
Entropy increasing....

I have bunches and I'm keeping it. This is what it does by itself with no "curdle boost" from silver glass. This is etched.

_DSC0021 by Kevanaponte, on Flickr
Old 2013-05-08, 12:17am
Naysayer

Oh that's pretty

And I wish the last batch was curdled and light like you've shown, this almost is too dark. It's like this photo but actually darker like honey most times, add silver and it's very dark. http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=3294
Old 2013-05-08, 1:42pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

I like the darker color. Wanna trade some for bead release?
Old 2013-05-08, 1:50pm
Entropy increasing....

The longer you cook it, the more curdly it gets.
Old 2013-05-08, 9:12pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I'm not buying 'Curdled Ivory' ever again. Paid a motza for it, yet my ordinary Ivory performed much, much better. Definitely wasn't worth either the effort or the price, for being such a hit-and-miss proposition.
I'm happy to work on the ordinary stuff to get it happening when I have to.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2013-05-08, 9:20pm
Wonder-wench

don't know what kind I have, it's just labeled Dark Ivory. I have found that the more heat, like dripping off the mandrel heat, you cook it with the more the color seems to separate (curdle).

Add a bit of silver and/or intense black and whoa baby, you can get some fantastic organic looks.

enameled stringers (enamel over ivory, then pulled into stringer) applied to ivory and opaque gray (probably works with other colors, but this I know) will web and crackle very nicely as well and you can go nuts with all the colors available in the enamels

Old 2013-05-08, 10:29pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
I like the darker color. Wanna trade some for bead release?
I would but I only have one rod, that's why I ordered more...or so I thought I was!

essiemessy I agree, and all dark ivory will curdle, some just does it faster. There are many threads with some of us wondering what the what But this batch was nice with silver I will admit.
Old 2013-05-08, 10:32pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Yeah, it's not as if it's not useful, eh? And yes, Elizabeth, I couldn't agree more. Dark Ivory is one of the most fun, versatile glasses around, IMHO.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2013-05-08, 11:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphousDesigns View Post
don't know what kind I have, it's just labeled Dark Ivory. I have found that the more heat, like dripping off the mandrel heat, you cook it with the more the color seems to separate (curdle).

Add a bit of silver and/or intense black and whoa baby, you can get some fantastic organic looks.

enameled stringers (enamel over ivory, then pulled into stringer) applied to ivory and opaque gray (probably works with other colors, but this I know) will web and crackle very nicely as well and you can go nuts with all the colors available in the enamels
Thanks! I'm going to have to try the enameled stringers one day. I have some "dark ivory" I haven't touched yet, and some opaque gray- didn't know that about opaque gray. I use CIM Hades as a cheap substitute for intense black.