No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2014-08-06, 8:21am
ChiWowWow Mom

Default Tucson - 2015 ???

Does anyone still do the Tucson shows? My niece wants to go next year to SHOP. We did B&B together last year and had a blast. I've been to Tucson twice, but it's been 8 years...are the shows as good as they were?

We'd be buying lampwork, seed beads, findings, jewelry tools, kits, and some semi-precious.

Has anyone signed up for Bead Fest - Santa Fe in 2015?

Are there any other good shows we should consider?

Last edited by DebAnderson; 2014-08-06 at 12:08pm.
Old 2014-08-06, 10:14am

I have been there the last two years, and will be there again in 2015.
The Best Bead Show is changing, but still the best place for handmade beads. I think it is the only one that has lampwork tools. Another show for handmade beads and lots of tools and high end findings is the Pueblo Gem Show. It is on the strip of shows on the I10, so when visiting this one, it is easy to have a look at a few more varied shows.
For the greatest variety of stuff, I would recommend the Gem Mall. It is a wholesale show only. I understood that they will have both the Holidome and the Gem Mall all in one this time. To Bead True Blue is great for nice findings and also home to quite a few lampworkers.
Finally, if you can make it: Do not miss the Flame Off at the Sonoran Glass school. It is a great event, with flameworkers doing a challenge, both individually and as a team, and the pieces are autioned off. On the night itself, tools from several dealers are sold.

I love Tucson! I love it so much, that I wrote a book about the show. I interviewed 20 people ranging from collectors, rock hounds, the people selling food, the shuttle bus driver, and two glass artists: Joanne Zekowski and Kevin o' Grady. You can download the book for free in a PDF format her: http://www.beadmuseumonline.com. It also includes some do's and don'ts and links and such.
Old 2014-08-06, 12:02pm
ChiWowWow Mom

Thanks Floor, I haven't shopped the Pueblo show before, will add it to the list. I let my wholesale license expire so I won't be doing those shows.

The last time I was there it was easy to buy nice semi-precious, but good (sterling) findings and seed beads were pretty scarce.

Do you sell or shop?

Thanks for the link to the beadmuseumonline have to spend more time there...some great info.

Last edited by DebAnderson; 2014-08-06 at 4:49pm.
Old 2014-08-06, 1:08pm

I am there to shop, but mostly to meet people. For bead collectors it is the main event of the year. Guess like the gathering for lampworkers. There are very few bead collectors in the Netherlands or even from Europe, so it is a great treat to get to see so many people and talk old beads all the time. Now that I also do beadwork and lampwork, it is an even better event. There are nearly 40 shows, and I have been to pretty much all of them.
The show at Simpson Street is a varied, fairly laid back show. They usually have a very good sterling findings dealer. Also, the Gem Mall has a few. You want to see a bit closer to the date if others you know are going. It is fairly easy to be registered as a guest or an additional buyer on one of the other people's badges when they register. Fairly sure that that To Bead True Blue or Tucson Bead Show, both at the Doubletree also have some good quality findings dealers.

About seed beads: depends on what you are looking for. For Japanese seed beads, the Best Bead show has two dealers who both fill up an entire room of them. For Czech seed beads, there are several dealers at the Gem Mall, but they can also be found at Best Bead, to Bead True Blue and Tucson bead show, including vintage seed beads.
Old 2014-08-06, 2:16pm

Default Tucson Show

Hi there! I live in AZ and go down to Tucson every year. In my opinion it's not as great as it used to be, but still so much to do and see! I would highly recommend spending a day "researching" as many of the vendors see it as an opportunity to hike up prices, simply because of all the hype for this show. The previous poster hit all the prime spots for sure. I am a wholesale buyer and it would be beneficial to you to renew your license before going, or find someone willing to allow you be a member of their company, shouldn't be too hard
Old 2014-08-06, 2:39pm

There's a new show opening up next year. I've been approved to be in it, so that's where I'm going.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/tgabf/

-Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Donna Felkner -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
Old 2014-08-06, 4:51pm
ChiWowWow Mom

Floor, thanks for the additional information. Glad I put the thread here so I can refer back to it later.

I have a friend with a wholesale license....may have to see if I can bribe her into getting us in.
Old 2014-08-12, 11:16am

CGBeads is correct. I too will be at this new show. This is where the lampworkers will be.
Old 2014-08-12, 6:26pm

Any suggestions for lodging while in Tucson for show?
Old 2014-08-13, 12:46am

I think where to stay really depends on how long you will be there, if you want to see many shows, if you will have a car, and which shows you want to be closest too. The last two years I stayed, through Airbnb, in a vintage RV parked in a garden just outside the Convention center. Close to the Simpson Street Shuttle hub, walking distance to all the I10 shows, downtown and 4th avenue for going out, and we rented bikes for going further out. Parking can be tricky and time consuming at quite a few of the shows. If you look into the shuttle routes, they can save you a lot of time. However, sometimes, you can just be stuck somewhere just waiting for a shuttle that only comes once an hour. This new show is quite far out of the city center, but pretty close to Gem Mall, Joggs and some other shows. I expect (hope) there will be one or two shuttle routes going to it.
For us, where we stay is the perfect location, and very affordable to. But if you are just going for a weekend, and you only want to see two or three shows, it's quite different.

Many of the cheap motels have very high prices during Gem show season, but they are often still the cheapest bet. Someone described them to me, including some that are show locations, as hooker hotels all year round, and making all their money during the Gem show. It used to be that these were all full up if you did not book way in advance. Nowadays, I've been told it is still quite possible to get a place to stay last minute.

If you have a bit of money to spare, and you have a car: there are some great resorts to the North of Tucson, beautiful scenery, relaxing, etc.
Old 2014-08-13, 8:27am

Thanks for your lodging reply. Here is a link to shuttles and parking (schedules and maps) for the winter show- just scroll down past the fall show info:
http://www.tucsongemshows.net/coming.html
Old 2014-08-13, 9:31am

Thanks. I think the shuttle list they link to is the one from 2014, and not 2015.
The shuttle schedule is usually put together pretty last minute. Something to do with who pays for what, and at which interval they can afford to run.

Seems to me, that the new lampwork show is not on the list yet. Would love to know more about who is going to be showing there, and also if people will be selling tools and glass. I have requested to be added to the facebook group, so I'll know more soon enough.

I think you can not start planning for Tucson too soon!
Old 2014-08-15, 7:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorkasp View Post
and also if people will be selling tools and glass.
Yes and Yes. (fyi, I'll have my tools, and will also be selling beads). There will be a 'showroom' and people will also sell out of their rooms. I opted for selling from a suite, so don't forget to go looking them, they'll be around the pool and I'm sure there'll be plenty of signage for directions.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2014-08-16, 5:10am

Going into the rooms at these shows is half the fun! Sometimes it can be akward, but usually it is well signposted and not to be missed. At some of the Tucson shows that are mostly geared towards fossil dealers, the hotel rooms had an interesting 'vibe'. Mostly older men, looking at some precious fossils laid out on the bed, with the wife in the back of the room watching TV. Every show truly has it's own subculture. From the fancy AGTA Gem dealers from all over the world, to the Chinese dealers at the Holidome, the Morrocan fossil dealers with tons and tons of stuff, and the dealers of 'metaphysical' crystals and such at one of the I10 shows.

I am sure your suite will be a delight to visit, and I will see you there!
Old 2014-08-27, 8:49am

Barb and I will also be selling out of a suite. Doug lowered the prices a couple weeks ago.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/tgabf/
Old 2014-08-27, 9:03am
Flame Dames Rule!

Suites around the pool? That sounds just like the Best Bead when it was at the HoJo. I started doing that show back in 1998 and stayed with it every year till I had to stop 3 years ago because Life got in the way. Hope its a success!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2014-11-27, 10:57am

We have been selling at the Tucson shows now for 20 years, We have seen many changes thru the years. Some are good and some not so good. One of the biggies this year for us is that the G&LW wholesale show has merged the Gem Mall and Holidome together at one location. It will all be the Gem Mall location. See the info below.
Jan 31 to Feb 13
GL&W Wholesale Show
Look for us in the Cactus Tent, Booth #1132 Purple
4475 S Country Club Rd
Tucson, AZ
Daily Hours Open:
10am to 6pm
Feb 13, LAST DAY
Open 10am to 3pm

That means there will be 4 large tents all at one location. We hope to see you there!