Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-03, 12:19pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
. I made the 4 beads exactly the same using only a graphite marver to shape the beads. I did notice that the Curdled Ivory melted quicker and, if I wasn't paying attention, it would drip off the rod. With the finished product thought, sadly, I didn't notice much of a difference. The beads on the left are made with Dark Ivory and the beads on the right are with the Curdled Ivory from ABR.

Tammy: this is just how my dark ivory looked when I used to work on a HH.

Could that make a difference?

Sara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-03, 2:16pm
offically down under

I am working on a minor but when I was on a hot head, the beads would be the same. As I mass produce these beads, I don't spend a whole lot of time frying them. Make, shape and move on with these babies. I'm going to try the CI with lots more heat to see what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-07, 11:07am
Life is change. Love it

Thank so much Nagi!!!! I got the curdled ivory today

I now have several samples of curled ivory and have made some test beads. I will post pics tomorrow

Old 2009-01-07, 11:42am
yukue fumei

you're very welcome Carolyn!
Can't wait til you post the results

nagi

Old 2009-01-07, 12:20pm
Entropy increasing....

Here is the goddess I posted in the Gallery last night made out of the ivory I got from ABR. What do you think of the glass? Is it curdled or not?

Old 2009-01-07, 12:26pm

Good question, Kevan -- you might have to try another one without any silver or silvered glass to see if it breaks up the same way. Another excuse for a great goddess!

I did notice the sparkles when I first got some of this glass last summer, and asked if anyone else noticed that. But it doesn't see to me that this so-called curdled batch is all *that* different from those over the last few years, in the finished product.

That said, my tolerance for variation between batches has shot sky high working with all these silvered colors, lol! We get variation *within* a batch, not just between batches. That can make you crazy -- I am living proof. ;->

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-01-07, 12:42pm
Entropy increasing....

Does anyone think that maybe there is no curdled ivory and that we have all been played? lol
Old 2009-01-07, 1:25pm
Gimme that silver glass!

LOL Than the vendors did a good job . No matter what, I LOVE dark ivory by Effetre and I have a good stock as well. I'm pretty sure it will be gone anyway within 6 months .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-01-07, 1:25pm
Gimme that silver glass!

BTW, love that goddess Kevan !!!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-01-07, 2:45pm
yukue fumei

Kevan-
Gorgeous goddess!
Like Jenny says, Curdled Ivory can curdle without the use of silver. Try it plain and see The old old Dark Ivory I have will also curdle without silver....

My regular dark ivory does very little curdling without silver but will curdle nicely with silver.

nagi

Last edited by nagibeads; 2009-01-07 at 2:51pm.
Old 2009-01-07, 3:01pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Does anyone think that maybe there is no curdled ivory and that we have all been played? lol
well, there is a definite difference in rods cold between my Frantz/LBS rods and my MGA rods. The Frantz/LBS rods are the rough ones with the sparkles when it is worked. The MGA rods are smooth and no sparkles (I am pretty sure MGA gets their glass from someone other than Frantz).

I have found that they work up VERY similarly to each other - the only realy difference I noticed is that the Frantz/LBS glass is slightly more silver reactive.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-07, 5:16pm
jamieincharlotte

Does anyone know where I can get silvered ivory? Thanks.
Old 2009-01-07, 5:19pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Jamie - You make silvered Ivory yourself. Roll the top of a rod of Ivory over a sheet of silver leaf or silver foil (usually covers about 2 inches of the rod) then heat it into a blob and pull stringers from it.

Old 2009-01-08, 1:18pm
Entropy increasing....

Thanks for the compliments on the bead. Whatever kind of ivory it is, it's a nice ivory. I have A LOT of it.lol
Old 2009-02-15, 3:58pm
yukue fumei

Galaxy Glass has some Dark Ivory if anyone is looking for some--can't tell if it's Curdled Ivory, but it sure looks like it curdles good....
Galaxy Glass Curdled Ivory?

nagi

Old 2009-02-15, 4:47pm

My batch is doing what Kevin's does but I have just a few lbs left. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-02-15, 5:04pm

Galaxy's Ivory looks gorgeous.
Old 2009-02-15, 7:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
For the life of me, I can't remember which post it was, but it wasn't the vendors who named it curdled ivory. It was an innocent comment by one of us on LE about ivory that looked like it was curdling that took on a life of its own. I talked with a couple of vendors who were taken completely by surprise. As far as I know, it's just a particularly fun batch of Dk Ivory.

Linda
Old 2009-02-15, 10:22pm
Lampworkaholic!

There is definitely a batch of dark ivory that webs more and reacts more with silver. I accidentally got some just because I bought ivory in that time frame. I think it was Bill Thornton who dubbed it "curdled" but I may be mistaken. But I just got an order of Vetrofond Dark and it's quite like the Effetre curdled. Maybe some common ingredient in the glass manufacturing process caused the change? We may never know.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2009-02-16 at 12:05pm.
Old 2009-02-16, 9:09am
yukue fumei

ooh! I'll have to check my Vetro...thansk for the tip!

nagi

Old 2009-02-16, 9:15am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

The Curdled name came from someones blog.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-02-16, 9:19am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Found it:

http://dragonjools.blogspot.com/2008...new-batch.html

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-02-16, 9:30am

There was definitely a difference in the "curdled" ivory. Not only did it crackle, but when you used reducing silver glass it fumes much much much more. I hate it!
But it is lovely in other applications.
Kevan - your goddess is just incredibly lovely!

Amy

Old 2009-03-13, 1:48pm
Oooooh Sparkly!

Has anyone compared the newest batch of dark ivory with the orig. "curdled ivory" ? Thanks in advance
Old 2009-03-13, 2:33pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

Mike from Franz said that his current batch of ivory reacts like curdled ivory. Let me find the thread.....

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123612
Old 2009-03-14, 4:07pm
Oooooh Sparkly!

Thanks Damsefly
Old 2009-03-16, 11:56am

I have a refill on my dark ivory and it's all "curdled." I think most of the suppliers have it now. Kevan that goddess is gorgeous!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !