The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-31, 4:37pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondanse View Post
Squid, your posts work just like a tonic on me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-12-31, 4:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieBSmith View Post
Jumping in!

Studying the published works of others is a viable, tried and true, completely legitmate method of research.

No modern thesis paper is ever written without research. No new business is launched without research. Research is the groundwork one lays before discovering that there's no point writing a thesis on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, because your point has been made. Or opening a Jimmy John's sub shop right next to Subway because you didn't check out the leaseholders...

If you are wondering if your point has been made, then researching the other tutorials on that subject makes sense.

Given the atmosphere, care will need to be taken. Your original post alludes to that need for care...so you understand....
yes. yes. but. dunkin donuts still opens across the street from starbucks. people make a choice. usually one of them eventually goes away...but that is how a free market should work.

research is good. information is power. almost always good (except in medical stuff, starting to think you can have too much information there...but that's a whole other thread).

IMHO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-12-31, 4:57pm

I have to wonder if K. F.M. wanted to write a tut on goddesses she would be getting the same advice?
Old 2008-12-31, 5:01pm
Oh No You Didn't!

What does the F stand for? Just curious.

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-12-31, 5:05pm
da General

F = Fowle

Kate Fowle Meleney

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-12-31, 5:08pm
Born Facing Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
I have to wonder if K. F.M. wanted to write a tut on goddesses she would be getting the same advice?
Unlikely, because she's already written one, it can be found in the Jim Kervin book that's devoted to her work.

Old 2008-12-31, 5:10pm
Mom to 20 paws

This is getting ridiculous!!!!!! Write a tut on what you want to, sell it where you want to and charge what you want to. My God dont worry about the watch dogs of LE they are not the end all be all of everything. I think people are getting tired of hearing from them.

Heres a thought , do you think Walmart asks Sears what they can sell or what to sell it for, or even if they have something similar to it. This is a free world and you are entitled to do what YOU want, especially when you know the facts you are not copying anyone else.

Jen

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2008-12-31, 5:15pm
Sparkle Strumpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensy View Post
This is getting ridiculous!!!!!! Write a tut on what you want to, sell it where you want to and charge what you want to. My God dont worry about the watch dogs of LE they are not the end all be all of everything. I think people are getting tired of hearing from them.

Heres a thought , do you think Walmart asks Sears what they can sell or what to sell it for, or even if they have something similar to it. This is a free world and you are entitled to do what YOU want, especially when you know the facts you are not copying anyone else.

Jen
You're right, of course...however, the market here can rise up and bite you in the butt.....I never heard of Mr Sears chastizing Sam Walton in a public forum. (I know that they are (1) both dead and (2) of different eras....)

I think....and I could be wrong (I was once...) that the original poster doesn't want a public autopsy when she is still living and breathing....

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2008-12-31, 5:31pm
Mom to 20 paws

One of the reasons Mr.Sears and Mr.Walton probably didnt get into to it was because they understood everyone running there own business and had respect for competition.

I think it is high time we as a public forum do not tolerate such behavior as the lynch mobbing we all just witnessed and let everyone run and worry about their own business. It only keeps happening because people feed into it.

Jen

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2008-12-31, 5:39pm
Storm Queen

Old 2008-12-31, 5:43pm
Sparkle Strumpet

Quote:
One of the reasons Mr.Sears and Mr.Walton probably didnt get into to it was because they understood everyone running there own business and had respect for competition.

I think it is high time we as a public forum do not tolerate such behavior as the lynch mobbing we all just witnessed and let everyone run and worry about their own business. It only keeps happening because people feed into it.

Jen
If you can figure that one out, go for it.....I'd have your back.....I'm sick of rancor, the preaching, the rancorous preaching, the chastizing, accusing, misunderstanding, denying, the polarization, flaming and all the rest of the negative stuff people do to each other....

Old 2008-12-31, 5:44pm
Cancer SUCKS!

THis is a no win situation for all involved. It saddens me to see the bickering continue. I'm hoping that in 2009 that we can all put more energy into melting glass, making tuts and supporting people.

Old 2008-12-31, 5:45pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:

Jen
You also don't see Mr. Walton reverse engineer Mr. Sears' invention and write a book on how to make it - when the same book had already been written by Mr. Sears.

Apples and oranges. The lynching happened because she did something unethical.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-12-31, 5:49pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
You also don't see Mr. Walton reverse engineer Mr. Sears' invention and write a book on how to make it - when the same book had already been written by Mr. Sears.

They either don't get that or they choose to look the other way.

Old 2008-12-31, 5:50pm
Sparkle Strumpet

Quote:

Have I missed something? Someone reverse engineered a publsihed tut?

I don't believe in trying to break the code to the secret sauce...I do believe in getting a feel of the lay of the land before trying to plow it...research what's already out there....

Last edited by LaurieBSmith; 2008-12-31 at 5:53pm. Reason: premature enter....
Old 2008-12-31, 5:54pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Have I missed something?
Certain people keep slamming "the lynch mob", the "LE tutorial police", etc etc ad nauseum. We all know exactly what thread they are talking about. People pointing out someone doing something unethical doesn't make the people that pointed out the problem a lynch mob.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-12-31, 5:55pm

I followed a recent thread where a new tutorial was "discussed" and my main thought was "ouch!" Here are some of my opinions on tutorials: As a newbie, I love dots. As such, I see a "dot" tutorial or book...I buy it! I have loads of them...probably too many, but that doesn't mean that I won't buy another. After reviewing a few, I see lots of repetition, but I find that each teacher / author has offered a little something extra...that personal touch. I'm now on an "implosion" kick....I'll buy anything with the word "implosion" in the title. My point is that if I decide that I want to try making a "goddess," then I'll probably buy all of the tutorials I might be lucky enough to find. There is so much talent out there, and although some of the instruction tends to overlap a bit...I think there is room for everyone. For me, the only exception would be a word for word production. Hope this makes sense.

Old 2008-12-31, 5:56pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Have I missed something? Someone reverse engineered a publsihed tut?

I don't believe in trying to break the code to the secret sauce...I do believe in getting a feel of the lay of the land before trying to plow it...research what's already out there....
I see you edited your post after I quoted it - so I will expound. Someone reverse engineered a bead on which there had already been a tut published - and then did their own tut even after they were told the other tut existed.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-12-31, 5:59pm
Sparkle Strumpet

Quote:
Certain people keep slamming "the lynch mob", the "LE tutorial police", etc etc ad nauseum. We all know exactly what thread they are talking about. People pointing out someone doing something unethical doesn't make the people that pointed out the problem a lynch mob.
Nothing new then? Although I don't need to know....I can't fix it....

I'm tired of the negative threads...so I don't read them after a certain point, but I know that they exist. I also know that I can get all fired up over things I'm not even really interested in....

(I edited my post, because I had a "premature enter"...Snort....)

Old 2008-12-31, 6:00pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Nothing new then? Although I don't need to know....I can't fix it....

I'm tired of the negative threads...so I don't read them after a certain point, but I know that they exist. I also know that I can get all fired up over things I'm not even really interested in....

(I edited my post, because I had a "premature enter"...Snort....)
better than, you know - the other thing.....

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-12-31, 6:00pm
Sparkle Strumpet

Quote:
I see you edited your post after I quoted it - so I will expound. Someone reverse engineered a bead on which there had already been a tut published - and then did their own tut even after they were told the other tut existed.
LOL....we are chasing the edited post....

yuck....that's not valid on any level in any industry, not matter the size...

Old 2008-12-31, 6:01pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
LOL....we are chasing the edited post....

yuck....that's not valid on any level in any industry, not matter the size...
I agree - and no more editing

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-12-31, 6:02pm
Sparkle Strumpet

Quote:
better than, you know - the other thing.....
My thoughts exactly....giggle...it's New Year's...gotta start the year just right, ya know...

They say what you are doing at midnight, you'll do all year....I have a plan....not telling everything...

Old 2008-12-31, 6:03pm
Sparkle Strumpet

It's so tempting to edit that post to add

Happy New Year!

Old 2008-12-31, 6:03pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

LOL

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-12-31, 6:09pm

Quote:
They say what you are doing at midnight, you'll do all year....I have a plan....not telling everything...
Uh-oh. I was reading negative threads at midnight.

|
|
|
Old 2008-12-31, 6:10pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post
doh!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-12-31, 6:19pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Oh...you are just jealous because you don't blog!

Sara-who doesn't blog either

Old 2008-12-31, 6:19pm
Sparkle Strumpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post
Maybe if you throw a pinch of salt over your shoulder.....or break a mirror...or walk under a ladder....you can break the curse....

Old 2008-12-31, 6:20pm
Life is change. Love it

Hey Squidly, how come I can't send you a pm? Pm me and let me know!!