Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-05, 9:43pm
I'm a lilac!

I finally have a couple new pics! Most of the beads I made were in my rock tumbler, and I overloaded it last night so they weren't ready today.

Here are the ones I didn't tumble:

Z-673 Metallic Blue on a base of clear:

Z-75 Light Blue on a base of Reichenbach Yellow Ochre:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-05, 9:45pm
I'm a lilac!

I was bad. Really bad. I ordered more frit.

I need to stop...

Old 2011-02-05, 9:49pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I was bad. Really bad. I ordered more frit.

I need to stop...
What kind?
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-02-05, 9:53pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillianbeads View Post
I made a clear core first, encased it with Z87, then stripes of R108.
I figure that since the Zimmermann cane is almost gone, I'm going to maximize what I can get out of it.

Being furnace cane it's also really saturated...I blew a small ornament with it tonight, and I'll see how it looks in the morning.
Thanks for the answer - I figured as much but wasn't sure.
Why waste premium or rare glass if you can stretch it out?
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
Old 2011-02-05, 10:53pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana View Post
What kind?
More Zimmerman opaque colors; Light gray, light beige (2 SHADES... WHY?) more dark gray (oops) blue olive, and dark olive brown.

The light beige looks pretty unremarkable. Hopefully when I cook it up it will be worth it, because otherwise I have a whole kilo of beige frit! The other colors look really pretty though.

I think I might have to sell off some of the Reichenbach colors I barely use to pay for this...

Old 2011-02-05, 10:58pm
I'm a lilac!

Somehow, like magic, tumbling fixed the weird textural issues I was having with the salmon pink. Pics tomorrow.

Old 2011-02-06, 2:46am
><>

Quote:
More Zimmerman opaque colors; Light gray, light beige (2 SHADES... WHY?) more dark gray (oops) blue olive, and dark olive brown.

The light beige looks pretty unremarkable. Hopefully when I cook it up it will be worth it, because otherwise I have a whole kilo of beige frit! The other colors look really pretty though.

I think I might have to sell off some of the Reichenbach colors I barely use to pay for this...
I've had a 'little problem' with frit this week myself, lol.
My husband got irked at me when we were both tired and I was trying to explain z-99 and why it was so cool. ha ha He just didn't give a crap about
some obscure glass bits.
Old 2011-02-06, 6:39pm
formerly Marella

Here's one with Z75 (same light blue as Kalera's frit beads just a couple of posts back), with Z87 swirls, encased in clear

The Z75 has just a hint of violet to it...more than Moretti Light Periwinkle

~
~
~
Old 2011-02-07, 11:27am
I'm a lilac!

I finally have pics of the beads I've been making with all the various colors I ordered. So far, I think my favorite is the Dark Gray 961:

Here's more of the rather erroneously named Gray Blue 76:

Blue Grass Green 772:

Light Blue 75:

Last edited by Kalera; 2011-02-07 at 11:31am.
Old 2011-02-07, 11:38am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Oh Kalera, thanks for showing the metallic blue. I have a big bag of it & can't play because of my broken arm. I'm dying here & want to make beads so bad!!!!!! I was making them but the last time I made some, I dropped the mandrel & burned my good hand. I figured it was time to stop!!!!

Vivian

-

Old 2011-02-07, 11:47am
I'm a lilac!

More... first, the Salmon Pink 353 that I thought was so funky:

Also in powder:

Dusty Rose 854 powder:

Seashell 351:

Light Amethyst 853:

Old 2011-02-07, 11:54am
I'm a lilac!

Ivory 86 (it's reacting with the R-108 powder):

Amethyst 75:

Coral Pink 352:

Last for now, Blue Violet 852 powder:

Old 2011-02-07, 11:55am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianLampwork View Post
Oh Kalera, thanks for showing the metallic blue. I have a big bag of it & can't play because of my broken arm. I'm dying here & want to make beads so bad!!!!!! I was making them but the last time I made some, I dropped the mandrel & burned my good hand. I figured it was time to stop!!!!
You're totally welcome! I hope your arm heals up soon so you can torch!

Old 2011-02-07, 12:09pm
Angie09

Hi Kalera,

What are the base colors you used on the various frit pics you just posted?
Old 2011-02-07, 12:33pm
I'm a lilac!

All 96 white, and the ones with the yellow in them are rolled in R-108 frit size 00 under the Zimmerman frits.

Old 2011-02-07, 1:05pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

The ivory is reactive? There's finally a reactive ivory discovered and it's discontinued?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-02-07, 2:01pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I have tried to purchase 5 oz of frit size #1 of 850 and also 971 without any success. I was already prepared to buy them at what ever form I can, but they just seem to have disappeared from all the vendors that I know of. Is anyone willing to sell any of their stash?
Old 2011-02-07, 2:01pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
The ivory is reactive? There's finally a reactive ivory discovered and it's discontinued?
YEP.

Old 2011-02-07, 2:09pm
Angie09

Hey Pia,

Olympic says they have 850

http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...cID=27&pID=505
Old 2011-02-07, 2:32pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Hey Pia,

Olympic says they have 850

http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...cID=27&pID=505
Their website isn't updated to reflect stock on hand, so you actually have to call and ask.

Old 2011-02-07, 2:44pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

They dont have it... they just havent updated their website. They also dont have any of the 971...
But thanks for keeping your eyes open for me!
Old 2011-02-07, 2:58pm
Lampworkaholic!

Mark your calendars for Valentine's Day!

Here are some beautiful colors from Zimmermann Glass company, which has ceased production of this beloved glass. For a very short time until our stock is depleted, we will be offering Purple Rose Z-99, Lilac Rose Z-851, Lilac Z-850, and Mountain Blue Z-971.

COE 96

Sold in 2 oz. bags (by weight)

02/07/2011: More Zimmerman frits will be available the week starting 02/14/11.

http://www.eplanetglass.com/catalog.php?category=7

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-02-07, 3:00pm
Lampworkaholic!

Leslie still has a few colors in stock.

http://www.thatfritgirl.com/category_29/Opaque.htm

http://www.thatfritgirl.com/category_30/Transparent.htm

http://www.thatfritgirl.com/category...man-Blends.htm

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-02-07, 3:19pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Yes, I have checked with her (thatfritgirl), and she is out of both of them. And I would have ordered the 2.2 lbs from OCR if they would have had any, I could always have been able to sell the rest of it.
But thank you so much for the heads up on the eplanet thang!!! Wooohoooo!

Last edited by Pia Kaven; 2011-02-07 at 3:26pm.
Old 2011-02-07, 3:51pm
Tonbodama Murrini maker

Kalera, those beads are stunning. Can i ask if you thumble etch or acid etch them?

I have 98 colors of frit in different sizes. They are all in a box haven't tried them jet. But after seeing your beads! I will devote a whole onth just playing with zimmermann but it will have to wait untill after classes with Margaret Zinser and the Flame Off UK in April

I do have al the enamels still in stock. I will have to update the website when i have a chance.

Kalera don't stop showing your beads!!!!

Currently on a Knight Bullet and 2 oxycons and tanked oxy

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 2011-02-07, 3:57pm
I'm a lilac!

Thanks Christina! I tumble etch them for 6-10 hours with 220 silicon carbide grit and abrasive tumbling media.

Old 2011-02-07, 4:09pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
I just ordered rod & frit and I'd happily split some with you, if you like.

Old 2011-02-07, 4:52pm
Angie09

Quote:
I've re-read the blog and can't figure out what "reactive ivory" you all are talking about .... help please!!!
Old 2011-02-07, 5:12pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
YEP.
For real

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-02-07, 5:41pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
I've re-read the blog and can't figure out what "reactive ivory" you all are talking about .... help please!!!
An ivory that reacts like Effetre ivory does to silver or copper... something that every COE except 96 has!