Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-11-23, 4:40am

Default Safety questions and studio setup

Hello all. Im new to lampworking and im setting up my studio. I have 2 spots where i could work. One is in my house.I have a space that is kind of an open floor plan that i would perfer. These are the pictures below.Studio

My torch will be placed on the white table mounted in front of the window.
For ventalation im unsure what to do. I planned on having a double window fan blowing fumes out of the studio. I just dont know how to have recurtulated air come in as its a large space. It is in a room off the living room and its winter so opening another window could be problematic. Im unsure how i would vent this space.

My other problem is that the flooring is carpet. I can lay stuff on top of the carpet to protect the floor but im unsure of what to use. Any tips wpild be helpful.

in the pictures you can see a above my kiln is where my circut panel where i can prob run hoses inside for the oxy and propane. so thoes can be safetly stored outside.

My other question is i wear glasses so i would like to know what type of glasses i can use. Clip on would be good. I plan on doing 104 glass and boro.

My other spot which may be a better option is in the attic of my garage. Sorry no photos of the spot but the garage is a 2 car garage with a pretty steep roof. running down the center of the attic space is a roughly 4 foot wide and runs the length of the garage. it is wider but the roof frame is its kind of hard to explain. there are 2 vents on the front and back of the garage. also the attic roof doesnt go all the way across the roof there is a 3 foot spot running down the length of the garage where the wall meets the roof. on both sides. The floor of the attitic is 3/4 inch plywood. so it would need to be covered with something to prevent fire. my problems with this spot are its in the garage (not an issue but there is no heat). the attic is open the whole length of the garage.(I may beable to room off a small area and have a small heater.) Ill upload photos later today of the attic space.

I have a champ xl kiln in my house right now what im afraid of is if i move it to the garage my fusing projects will be subjected to the cold. and crack.

oh woe is me lol decisions decisions lol

I would like your tips on how and where you would set up this studio.

Thank you alot Jamie

Im a Veterinary Technician full time at an Emeregency Veterinary Hospital
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-11-25, 11:33am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Nobody has answered any of your questions so I'll try to answer a couple.

With such a big open space connected to the rest of the house you shouldn't need a dedicated 'makeup air' source. Plenty of air and air leakage in the typical house to supply your makeup air. There are dozens of pics of how people have put vent systems in a window either in front of their torch or close by. Depending on the window it can be as simple as building a frame or insert for the window that holds a fan and hood.

I would move that kiln from below the wooden cabinet or circuit panel as that is very dangerous considering the amount of heat generated by the kiln. Also I would avoid running a fuel gas line inside the circuit panel even though it may be very convenient; also very dangerous.

The carpet can be covered with plywood which is in turn covered with Hardibacker or cement board. Not the best looking solution but very flame/fire proof.

There are a bunch of suitable glasses clipons available and lots of discussion here re those. It's somewhata personal preferrance thing as long as the protection aspect is covered. Some people like Aura, some like Philips, there are others. If you use both boro and soft glass you may preferr a seperate pair for each glass or use a lighter shade of green. ie. #3 instead of the popular #5.

Without pics is it aimpossible to comment on the garage attic area. It is possible to wall off a smaller portion of the attic and insulate it so that may be a better solution.

"oh woe is me lol decisions decisions lol'.... it seems that way to a lot of people when they start to plan a studio. Some research and thought will eventually crystalize into a plan and understanding so keep at it and you will prevail.
Old 2011-11-25, 11:47am
Wonder-wench

I set my studio up in the garage here are pros/cons
  • Can leave it messy
  • Lots of space to configure any way, easy to "annex" additional space as needed
  • Concrete floors, no fabric curtains or carpet to worry about
  • I can crank the tunes any time day or night
  • Damn cold in winter
  • Damn hot in summer
  • No running water or bathroom

I got #3 shades, a little too dark for soft glass. Next time I'll pay the extra $$ and get split lenses with #3 on bottom, didymium on top.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.