Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-22, 12:13am
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I ordered 9 lbs tonight with shipping, only $63.. can't beat that. Am anxious to play with them. Even if all I could do is use them singly or with a little surface decoration, it would be worth it.
Old 2009-01-22, 12:20am
Just me

I'm not Natasha but I'm up late and can share my experience if that's okay.
I made a bead with the purple transparent and it was a lovely color. More like a blue purple not a red purple like the amethysts. Kind of like grape koolaid.
The second bead in this pic is white encased with the purple. I had no problems with this color or bubbles. It was really nice to work with and a color I would like more of.
I forgot to say: This bead looks darker in the picture than in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Natasha,

I'm curious about the Purple Transparent. Is it like the Moretti Amethyst? Lauscha Purple? Or is it as scrumptious as the picture shows?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2009-01-22 at 11:24am. Reason: clarifying what I meant
Old 2009-01-22, 1:27am
Previously silverfaeriedesigns

Very interesting glass, I think I'm going to have to keep an eye on this thread. I agree with others- we can NEVER have enough glass to play with!

I look forward to more test photos.

~

~

Nortel Minor with oxycon and NG
Old 2009-01-22, 3:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Natasha,

I'm curious about the Purple Transparent. Is it like the Moretti Amethyst? Lauscha Purple? Or is it as scrumptious as the picture shows?!
I'll let you know Aleta--that's one of the couple I ordered--I figured if it wasn't as good as it sounded (ie: non-compatable) then it would make lovely "beads-of-courage-hearts", which is what happens with any non-compatable purple glass around here . I purple, (and pink!) so I snagged that one, & the light rose ('cause I figured the same thing--hearts, toss on cord, done ) & burgundy transparent. It'll prolly be a couple weeks before I get to melt it, but, I'm really fascinated by anything "new", so even if it's just PPP glass for spacers, shapes & presses, the price was right & the colors were pretty

After seeing that marine semi-opaque, I'm wishing I had snagged some of that..it's purty!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-01-22, 8:17am

The metallic black has a nice, shiny surface. What is the metal on this surface?

Robert
Old 2009-01-22, 8:50am
Logan's mommy

Natasha,

I just sent you an email through ebay. I'd like to place an order direct for a total of 6 pounds. Could you please contact me at your convenience but before the colors I want run out? lol.

Thank you.

Old 2009-01-22, 10:06am

Default What is Natasha's e-mail adress

Does any one have Natasha's e mail. Ive been looking through the thread and can't find it. I am not signed up with e-bay and would like to order some glass direct from the seller.
Bob Proulx
Old 2009-01-22, 10:44am
da General

Bob, you can pm her through this forum.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-22, 10:53am

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Bob, you can pm her through this forum.
Thank you Hayley I didn't think of that.
Bob
Old 2009-01-22, 12:09pm

I have placed my order and look forward to trying the glass!

Beth
Old 2009-01-22, 5:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post
I know that selenium is used for reds... Satake orange is more of a yellow-orange, it's called "Mango" and it's probably more yellow than orange, come to think of it. The yellows don't react with turquoise either though. Satake is pretty non-reactive in general.
Just in case no one says this in the next couple pages I haven't gotten to yet (whew!) they use CADMIUM for the yellows.

And hey Sarah? Please take that bottom line off your posts and stick around!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-01-22, 5:25pm

Me too. I placed my order today and look forward to trying it. Thanks Jim for the info you posted on the glass.

Old 2009-01-22, 6:23pm
da General

My order was shipped today! I will do a thorough testing with silver glass and report back once I receive my goodies!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-22, 6:34pm
product of the universe

I ordered some today, getting the 10 lb sampler. I can't wait to try it out.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-01-22, 7:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
My order was shipped today! I will do a thorough testing with silver glass and report back once I receive my goodies!
Oh YAY!! Thank you, Hayley!! Cross-reactivity is a good thing to check out.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-01-22, 7:44pm
Burning through glass

Oh yeah, I wanna see that too!

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2009-01-22, 8:25pm
Just me

Update on the copper/sulphur reaction testing.
I made a couple more small spacer sized test beads last night to see if yellow would react and to test the orange again. The two top beads are the new beads and are not annealed. (Devardi Opaque Orange and Opaque Saffron bases with Effetre Lt. Turquoise stringer)
Here they are small, about twice as big as they are in real life. I used a 1/16th mandrel.

With the naked eye I cannot see the reaction with the bottom orange bead, which is the one I have already posted, the other orange bead is hard to tell if it's there or not, and with the yellow bead I can see it just fine.
I took large close up pictures to see what the camera sees and as you can see it picks up a slight reaction on all three beads. I think the reason it's hard to see with the naked eye is the Devardi glass is opaque in the core of the bead but the surface looks like it's been thinly encased with a transparent, that and I made small beads.

Now about the effetre stringer. On the first bead I made and already posted (bottom bead) I grabbed a stringer, I had pulled some time ago, out of my lt turquoise glass cubby and with the new beads I just made I pulled a new stringer from a full rod. (I couldn't find the previous stringer I had used on my messy work table).
Well, by looking at my beads the first one I made looks lighter and I'm wondering if a lt. sky stringer made it into my lt. turquoise cubby by accident, which would be reactive anyway.

So what I'm saying is there is a slight reaction but it's hard to see. I am going to try making larger beads and see if it's anymore visible to the eye. I just wanted to share what I've done and will update again when I get back to the torch with more tests.

Here they are blown up really big to see what the camera picked up.

Old 2009-01-22, 10:55pm

Default Devardi time!

I'm a complete glass addict, and emailed Natasha to see if she would like a volunteer to test glass for her. As she stated earlier, they do not send out free samples of glass unless you are placing an order. Since I had bid on eBay, and placed an order directly, Natasha was nice enough to send a small testing sample of some additional colors when she shipped my order. For full disclosure: I don't have any connection to Natasha and Daniel, Devardi glass, or anything else that might compromise my opinion of Devardi glass. I'm just an old computer geek from way back, used to doing lots of beta testing and have done product testing in every field that I've ever worked in, and continued that practice when I got into glass.

My order arrived yesterday, and I started melting right away. I couldn't wait to just "play" with some colors, so I made several beads with various combos of Devardi, CIM, Effetre, Vetro, Lauscha, and a few silver glasses. The Devardi is totally different in consitancey from any other brand I've used - it melts quickly and stays extremely thick and viscous - didn't get runny no matter how hot it got. Some colors were thicker than others, but none were even close to something like Effetre White. Only the Opaque colors showed any tendency to shockiness, and my impatience didn't help! I seldom wait for glass to warm up slowly, unless it's horribly shocky. None of the Devardi colors were too bad. I did put a really gorgeous color rod in the kiln to anneal after it shot off a few chips -- it was just way too beautiful to risk a bit of!

One surprising bead was a base of Butterscotch, topped with dots of Psyche. Major reactions from the Psyche immediately. Just barely touched with a redux flame and the Psyche went bonkers. Also tried Miro, Aion2, and VanGogh. All reacted quickly with no scary results.

Finally stopped playing long enough to do a few stringer pulls for compatibility. Tested Devardi Amber against Lauscha Soft Clear. One set of pulls was with some older clear, and the other was the newest version. All pulls were approx. 28" long, and looked quite straight - no extreme curl in any sample. When laid out on a grid, the curvature measured 6-9mm on all pulls, and all curved towards the Devardi.

Beads were all garaged and then annealed overnight in a digitally controlled kiln running my regular 104 schedule. The only cracked bead was one that I stared at so long it broke before getting to the kiln. That bead was an unidentified Op. Blue that turned a beautiful coppery-red and oilslick looking when heavily reduced. I smeared some clear on the reduction, and it held perfectly in the kiln.

Now, here's the bad news: my camera is out of commission. Sorry. Tried getting a shot of the reduced blue with the webcam, but it came out looking like something from a bad sci-fi movie.

Birdy
PS: Please shout if you have any suggestions for tests that need to be done.
Old 2009-01-22, 11:14pm
Creatrixie

Oooh, sounds yummy, Birdy...I hope that you manage to get pictures somehow soon! Thanks for reporting on your experiments!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-01-23, 2:13am

Oooh, who lives near Birdy? Quick, go take some pictures--I wanna see the pysche bead...ooh, Hayley--do that test! (oh, wait...I've only got one short piece of psyche & didn't order butterscotch....or *any* opaques...what's wrong with me?? what silver glass works on transparents?? !!!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-01-23, 5:22am
Logan's mommy

Oh I'm dying to see that psyche bead also. I just placed an order for 6 pounds of glass. Some of the metallic black, semi-op white and dark purple. It seems really promising and Natasha has been quite available and quick to respond. I'm getting very excited.

Old 2009-01-23, 8:58am

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

:::waves::::
When is it a good morning ?
When your mail man runs before 10 am and he has a box of glass !!
Yup, its a good morning . Thanks Natasha !

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2009-01-23, 10:37am
Devardi Glass

You're a sweetie, Silkys. Thank you too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkys View Post
:::waves::::
When is it a good morning ?
When your mail man runs before 10 am and he has a box of glass !!
Yup, its a good morning . Thanks Natasha !
Old 2009-01-23, 1:04pm
Just me

Birdy,
For reference could you tell us what torch you're using? HH or oxy/propane set up?
I'm glad you did the stringer testing, I really wanted to get that done but didn't have the time.
So much more I'd like to do.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2009-01-23 at 1:57pm.
Old 2009-01-23, 2:55pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbyanne View Post
I made a bead with the purple transparent and it was a lovely color. More like a blue purple not a red purple like the amethysts. Kind of like grape koolaid.
now you all are making ME want to order some. I blue purple? must. resist. for. now....

--
--
--

Old 2009-01-24, 1:18am

Default details!

Good question, Bubby! Sorry that I didn't think to include that. I'm using a Minor with 1 oxycon.

Birdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbyanne View Post
Birdy,
For reference could you tell us what torch you're using? HH or oxy/propane set up?
I'm glad you did the stringer testing, I really wanted to get that done but didn't have the time.
So much more I'd like to do.
Old 2009-01-24, 6:05am
I poop flowers.

Can someone post the link again to where we can order this glass direct? TIA!!

Velvet

"There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate." ---Charles Dickens
Old 2009-01-24, 6:46am
See my quote!!

Kahlamodie, this is what I was able to find.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Lampwork...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Hope this works.

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2009-01-24, 6:47am

Mailbuggy General Store <helpdesk@mailbuggygeneralstore.com>

This is the one that will get you Natashia.
Old 2009-01-24, 6:48am

Question? Do you think the postage is steep or fair?

Tags
devardi, missing posts?