LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-28, 5:34pm

I'm now hoping for a really expanded pallet and a color sheet that shows the colors really well by number. The auctions do really well at showing the current colors but they don't use numbers. I love being able to re-order knowing I'm ordering what I want.

thinking my order will go in middle of next month. what are the chances out of stock colors will be back by then? slightly less than none?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-01-28, 5:39pm
Trying to Hope!

I didnt try to get the raku to pop but i also didnt try not to I just played I made a little salmon one tady we will see how it tunes out as well as a few others with didffrent colors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2009-01-28, 6:09pm
Does my glass look 2 big?

Yikes! I hadn't read about the encasing!

Ok, today I got my order and made a large focal with both the light blue opalino and light green opalino looking ones, and pulled thick stringers since the rods are very big.

Heavily encased with both Diamond Clear and two Effetre transparent colors, guess we'll see tomorrow!

I'll post a picture.

Old 2009-01-28, 7:05pm
Just me

Olimpia,
You should be okay with the light blue and the light green semi-opaques. I have encased them both with no issues.
It's the darker periwinkle blue color that has been acting difficult.

I made two beads with it and cooled in a fiber blanket and they both cracked.
I have some other things to try to see if it's possible to encase it successfully.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2009-01-28 at 7:08pm.
Old 2009-01-28, 7:43pm
Does my glass look 2 big?

Oh that's good news, thanks Bubby!
I really liked the bead so it'll be fun opening the kiln tomorrow!

Old 2009-01-28, 8:36pm
da General

Natasha,

Is it possible to request for 5-6mm rods from the factory? I did some tests (hope to post pictures and report soon!) and found that the thicker rods are usually the ones that are shocky. I have a Carlo Dona Rod Warmer so the rods are usually preheated (I use a lot of Lauscha so are comfortable working with 10mm rods) . . . the shock happens when I am winding the glass and it breaks off about 1" from the tip of the molten rod. I find that some of the Vetrofond Odd lots have similar issues. . . very annoying when you are making a disc! lol!

Thanks again for being so responsive!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-28, 8:38pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Thumbs up

You should try the salmon for stuff in your naughty bits exchange. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyki View Post
I didnt try to get the raku to pop but i also didnt try not to I just played I made a little salmon one tady we will see how it tunes out as well as a few others with didffrent colors

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2009-01-28, 10:21pm
da General

I have a rod warmer (it's like a hot plate - it's what the Italians use with their 10mm rods) so I don't have any problem of the glass being shocky when I start working with it. It shocks in the middle of winding the glass on and it breaks 1" from the molten tip. I do heat the rod further up and not just the tip and do place them back on the rod warmer between applications.

Also, some of the rods have a hollow tube running all the way down the core and leave bubbles while winding. The thinner rods don't seem to have that at all.

I will give you a detailed report when I have the photos ready.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-28, 11:45pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Default BGSO...

I received my pound of Baby Green Semi-Opaque glass today. Quick service! The glass arrived in fine shape however, I too would suggest using bubble wrap in place of the batting. Just a thought.

I did some melting this evening and will post a review when I have time to take some pics of what came out of the kiln.

I WILL say it was a good experience and the beautiful pastel green color that resulted, reminded me of candy mints!! Lickable.

Good night,
Jack

Old 2009-01-29, 12:11pm
yukue fumei

Hi everyone--
I still have alot of testing to do, but my initial results are mixed-- some good, some not so good.
I am getting some shattering of rods similar to Hayley. These are not from the size of the rods, since I got them with the thin 5mm opaque olive rods as well. I think it is due to the small bubbles running the length inside of the rod.

Compatibility testing on some color combos needs to continue. I did get incompatibility cracks when used with Cim Peace. It's too bad because I liked the bead I made!
The clear is nice for the price. The one rod I got with very little scratches was very good. The other two had scratches and scummed a bit, but not too bad. My encasements had bubbles from the rods, but over all it is nice.
The light rose had some kind of film on it that wouldn't come off with alcohol. I'm going to try scrubbing it to see what happens. This film makes the glass foam. I don't get the foam on the transparents that don't have this film, so I think it is whatever this coating is....
The opaque purple turned grey(thanks for posting that Suzanne! I was curious, so I tried it and it is grey...). I did get some soot on some of the colors. I was surprised because that doesn't usually happen with me because I tend to run my flame oxidizing.
The dark red transparent got the brown reduction but the orange was nice and clean. The metallic black was nice-a bit different than the DSP--I have yet to be able to get a rainbow effect, but I did get a nice shiny pewter.
If you can get rods that are thinner with fewer bubbles and scratches, this would be a very nice glass!
I still have a ton of compatibility testing ahead, but that's it for now.
I still would like to know more about the company! you had said you would post the info, and when you have time, please do!
thank you!
I would love for the rods to have labels, thank you.

pic of the bubbles running down the length of the rod.

incompatibility cracks--bead is a base of CiM Peace with Devardi Purple and Amethyst with Devardi clear casing.

I love this bead...but unfortunately it is cracked. Base of CiM Peace, Devardi Purple with Terra stripe, encased in Devardi clear. I am going to retry this with a different base....

encasement...the amber bead is the one with light rose...

nagi

Last edited by nagibeads; 2009-01-29 at 12:20pm.
Old 2009-01-29, 12:13pm
yukue fumei

egads!! Sorry for the giant pics--why did some get huge and others small?
anyhoo, sorry!!!--at least you can see the clear encasement...

nagi

Old 2009-01-29, 12:15pm
da General

Natasha - there is no initial cracking when heating for it sometimes happens after I have already wound quite a few wraps on the mandrel (when making a large bicone).

As for the bubbles - there are two different scenerio. One is that the glass contains LOTS for bubbles and it's actually kind of cool (as in the transparent purple rod) . . . the one that is problematic is the one hollow tube down the center of the rod for it leaves random large bubbles and if you are wrapping a disc for a round bead, there is not way to keep your footprint and get rid of the bubble. The beautiful semi opaque marine and Transparent Marine Green are two I find with that problem. You can literally see the hollow tube in the rod if you hold the Trans Marine Green in the light.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-29, 12:34pm
da General

Hi Denise! Good to know that I am not the only one who got shattering rod problem!

Here is my testing report:

I would like to preface this by saying that none of my sampler pack was labeled so I am just GUESSING on the name of the glass! Perhaps Natasha can confirm on the ones I include the rod with the bead.

OVERALL IMPRESSION
As Cynthia commented on an earlier post, this glass is a lot stiffer than regular COE 104 glass. That has both benefits and pit falls. It's much easier to shape the ends of a long bead and having the ends hold their shape. But it's almost impossible to use too much of this glass in a twisty. I thought my bead was going to crack coz I was taking so long laying down the twisty!

WITH SILVER GLASS

Double Helix Aura (Pinky Purple Luster) on Transparent Orange
I think this is Transparent Orange tho it's almost red - thinner rod, no major issue with this glass. Minimum bubbles.

Double Helix Odd Psyche Dark n Transparent Rose
This is a 9mm rod and has the shattering issue - breaking 1" from the molten tip. It also has bubbles and scum, made more conspicuous by its light color.

Precision 104 Garzoni on Transparent Olive
The bead is a lot darker than the rod - it's almost black. Garzoni reacts beautifully on this base. Thinner rod, thus no major issue.

Double Helix Triton on Transparent Purple
Triton fumes this base and the entire bead is iridescence, very pretty. This glass is probably what Natasha was talking about in an earlier post - it's FULL of bubbles and actually is a pretty cool effect. I try to capture that with a second photo - you can see the "texture" inside the bead. This also has the shattering issue 1" above molten tip.

More in the next post!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-29, 12:38pm
A True Woofer

I got my 10 lb sampler, with a few breakages. I would definitely stop using the batting and opt for a more insulating material. Plus the batting fibers are all over the glass and I'll have to pick them off.

The glass itself does look nice and I can't wait to try it. There are some very pretty colors.

Old 2009-01-29, 12:47pm
da General

This is the twisty bead I was having a hard time laying down the twisty for the glass is so stiff. Twisty is made with Semi Opaque Red, Black Metallic, Double Helix Aether and Khaos. I picked too dark a color for the base Transparent Dark Purple with Clear core . . . I will try it again on a lighter base next time. Bead is 64mm long.

Gravity wave bead with Opaque Marine Green (shattering!) with TAG 104 Odd Green Dalai and Psyche Dark dots

Transparent Aqua, Transparent Burgundy with Garzoni stripe and Aura dots

Not sure about the base - it looks like Transparent Dark Amber in rod form but the bead is red, with Black Metallic shards - both glass have shattering issues.

Black Metallic with Precision 104 Diamond Clear decoration. It's interesting to note that applying Clear AFTER oxydizing results in lots of bubbles under the Clear (you can see that under the leaves). Apply Clear BEFORE oxydizing just gives you black (as in the lines). Bead is 52mm long.

This is my favorite - the semi opaque colors. I love the Semi Opaque Marine, yet it's the one glass that gives me the most problem with shattering. This is Semi Opaque Marine, Semi Opaque White (I think it's white but it's more a pale blue), Opaque Violet and Double Helix Terranova 2. Bead is 60mm long.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-29, 12:56pm
da General

IN CONCLUSION
For $6.00 a pound, this glass is definitely worth trying. It seems that the transparent and semi opaque have more shattering issues than the opaque colors but personally, I love the semi opaque best. Black Metallic is a lot of fun too.

There seems to be no compatibility issue with silver glass (so far - the beads are only one day old! ). I will work on encasing next.

Lastly, it may not be a glass for someone on a hothead (too stiff). I work on a Barracuda and actually had to turn on the outer fire to melt down the twisty - something I have never done before. The up side is that because the glass is so stiff, with the raging flame, I was able to keep the shaped ends pretty intact. It's probably perfect for using as stringers for surface decorations.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2009-01-29 at 1:04pm.
Old 2009-01-29, 1:03pm
da General

Natasha - I hope you understand that we are not saying that you didn't tell us about potential issues with this glass. You have been up front about this being not the best glass but an affordable decent glass. Bottom line is that we all have to decide for ourselves if the trade offs are worthwhile.

As mentioned in our email correspondences, I completely understand why the sampler packs are not labeled. I have to say so again here for if someone likes the colors of a glass on one of my beads, I want to make sure that she/he doesn't run out and get 5 lbs of that glass without confirming the name!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-29, 1:06pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Default Photo heavy...

I tested the "Baby Green" that I received and had only one instance of shattering. I believe it was caused by "operator error"... I didn't warm it enough. I love the color and the reaction with Ivory and Silver Rattan. I also had no problems with the S.B.G.Stringers.
I'm using a Cricket with a pair of Invacare concentrators. The annealed color turned out to be just like the rod color. A nice pastel "Minty" green. I really like this color!

Jack

Old 2009-01-29, 2:07pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyangel View Post
Also, when you mix Devardi with any type of glass, you should anneal immediately upon completion, as outlined in the description. This greatly reduces incompatibility problems.
Hi Natasha-
thanks--I don't think this is my problem because I anneal all my glass and put them in the kiln as I make them.
I think the Devardi and CiM Peace is not a compatible combination.

nagi

Old 2009-01-29, 2:09pm
yukue fumei

Hayley-thanks fro the detailed report--this is a good glass for the money. Care must be taken to test with different color combinations.

Natasha-I will try working cooler--the rods are very thick and I think it takes a long time to melt and that could be a contributing factor to the color burning out...

Jack-beautiful beads!

nagi

Old 2009-01-29, 2:23pm
Just me

Nagi, Jack and Hayley, excellent beads and information.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Nagi, I'm sorry to see your hearts cracked, they're lovely.
Have you encased the CIM Peace with Effetre or Vetro colors without issues? I don't have many CIM colors so I haven't much experience using them and haven't used Peace at all.

Hayley, There are a couple of Double Helix glasses you mentioned that I hadn't heard of.
Aura and Aether. Are these colors available now, past colors or colors to come? (I don't have these darnit and am now feeling I should! )

Old 2009-01-29, 2:40pm
da General

Denise - I agree that it's decent glass for what you pay for it. It will be nice glass if they can solve issue of the hollow tube down the center of the rod.

Barb - Aura is the test batches Pinky Purple Luster (M-166, M232a/b, M235) . . . DH is planning on releasing that as its regular production glass, renamed Aura. Aether Clear is the newest DH Clear, not sure if it will be released for sale or not, Frantz was giving a rod away for every x amount of glass purchase last month. I tested it and it's the best clear ever! Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be in the regular line up one day!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-29, 2:55pm
Just me

Thanks Hayley,
I will be watching for these two.
Most especially the clear. We always need a good clear! (or I do for good clean encasing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Denise - I agree that it's decent glass for what you pay for it. It will be nice glass if they can solve issue of the hollow tube down the center of the rod.

Barb - Aura is the test batches Pinky Purple Luster (M-166, M232a/b, M235) . . . DH is planning on releasing that as its regular production glass, renamed Aura. Aether Clear is the newest DH Clear, not sure if it will be released for sale or not, Frantz was giving a rod away for every x amount of glass purchase last month. I tested it and it's the best clear ever! Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be in the regular line up one day!

Old 2009-01-29, 3:04pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

Wow, it's really great to see what everyone is doing with this glass. I got mine today and have not yet melted it.
I will say that the rods definetly need to be cleaned as they all look a bit dusty and filmy.
The color that I ordered look very nic in rod form though. I got a pound each of baby green semi-opaque and the trans. burgundy, olive(I think) and and orange color that also looks semi-opaque.

I will say that the packaging was very sturdy, no broken rods! I also got a free rod of black. I am assuming it is metallic black. I'll do some torching tonight and post my results in the am.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2009-01-29, 4:51pm
product of the universe

I got mine today. There were a few broken rods but in 10lbs of glass i think its acceptable. There was a great variety of colors in the sampler. One color that interests me is a transparent orange looking color with a opaque core.

The rods are fat which is kind of nice. Some of it was a little shocky. The sky blue is a very nice color. Well actually all the opaque blues i got look good. i made some spacers with the sky blue they look the same color as when i started. This glass seems much stiffer than effetre/vetro which for me being a boro worker is pretty nice. I even used a rod with cooling marks on it that look like splits in the glass none of it popped. The stringers i pulled down from the broken ends held up nicely.

All in all i'm happy with this glass as of now. I'm gonna spend some more time tonight playing with it and see where it goes.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-01-29, 5:05pm
Devardi Glass

Great start, Chris. Thanks for the post. Have fun. Natasha

Natasha's GlassArt

Old 2009-01-29, 6:00pm
just plain silly

Denise- It's interesting that your CIM Peace and Devardi purple have incompatibility cracks. I made the exact same combo. It's a flat heart and has no cracks. I even stacked up 2 pair of strong glasses to recheck it and it's good... at least sooo far I wonder if smashing it made the difference???

Thanks for all the testing info and pics everyone. There are some really beautiful beads on this page!!! Off to try the violet with a COOLER flame... hehe if that is at all possible with me!!!

Suzanne
Old 2009-01-29, 6:16pm
product of the universe

How big does this stuff come? I just worked a large red rod like 12mm, I placed it in a kiln at 1050 let it sit in there for awhile. Then i took a 15mm solid boro rod flattened the end. I took the red rod out of the kiln with a pair of gloves and started working it with a red max into a gather on the end of the boro. Then with tweezers i pulled it down to about 3 feet of 6mm rod.The color turned from red to carrot red which is cool. So i guess i ask about the size is i would like to get it in these larger size rods to make quick big gathers for prep.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-01-29, 6:29pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbyanne View Post
Nagi, Jack and Hayley, excellent beads and information.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Nagi, I'm sorry to see your hearts cracked, they're lovely.
Have you encased the CIM Peace with Effetre or Vetro colors without issues? I don't have many CIM colors so I haven't much experience using them and haven't used Peace at all.

Hayley, There are a couple of Double Helix glasses you mentioned that I hadn't heard of.
Aura and Aether. Are these colors available now, past colors or colors to come? (I don't have these darnit and am now feeling I should! )
thanks Bubby!
I have used CiM Peace before and it has been fine for me so far(knock wood). I will do some testing tonight with equivalent Effetre glass with a CiM Peace core to see if it is okay.
I like the way this glass plays with silver, but having had problems before with other glass and silver glass, I am proceeding with utmost caution.

Hayley, I forgot to say just how beautiful your beads are--sorry about that!
Your Aura beads really are beautiful but even more beautiful in person. Double Helix really hit a home run with that glass and I am keeping my fingers crossed it comes out soon. I am as you are--dying for Aether to come out!!

Chris--the orange with the core is really nice--you will like it!

Natasha--I hope you don't feel like I am upset with the glass--I'm sorry if it came across that way. I am trying to show my results objectively, as I do with all the glass I buy and test. I am wishing out loud for things like thinner rods and fewer scratches, but I do have an understanding that this is how this glass comes..... I think if you happened to be around for our discussions on a good clear you would understand that we are wishing, not demanding....this clear is nice and has the potential to be very competitive if there were fewer scratches, is all I wanted to say--not that it is bad...just the opposite.
Hi Suzanne-interesting! Thank you for your results!
Which combination was the one that worked?--the Devardi Purple and Amethyst over CiM Peace encased in Devardi clear or the Devardi Purple over CiM Peace swizzled with Terra and encased with Devardi clear?
Or did you try just the Devardi Purple over the CiM Peace? I have not tried that combo yet....

nagi

Old 2009-01-29, 7:23pm

Chris,
If you get a chance would you mind blowing a little for me. This glass being thicker sounds good for blowing.

Thanks,

Tags
devardi, missing posts?