Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-01, 4:24pm
KAS Lampwork Beads

I finally put a few rods into the flame this afternoon. Like most everyone said earlier, the semi-opaques are a bit bubbly and the regular rods have to be heated slowly to avoid shocking. But I was overall very happy with the glass. Devardi is a bit stiffer than other glass so it's fantastic for using as a base when making floral beads. The base stays firm so you can manipulate the heck out of the flowers and surface designs. Will be buying lots more! Kas

My ETSY STORE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-01, 6:46pm
KAS Lampwork Beads

Hi Natasha!
Do you have a list of the glass colors that are still available? I'd like to place another order but don't know what colors are still for sale. Thank you! Kathleen (KAS)

My ETSY STORE:

Old 2009-02-01, 8:52pm

Bubbyanne, I just take my peanuts to Mail Box Etc. for recycling....
Old 2009-02-01, 9:35pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyangel View Post
Hi everyone. Thanks for all the suggestions. It's too bad we can't just beam the glass to people like they do on Star Trek.
Have you tried?
Old 2009-02-01, 11:43pm
Ad astra per aspera

DD was thrilled with my packing. She's been knitting little Japanese character figures (harajuku?) and jumped on the packing as stuffing. It certainly kept the glass secure.

Old 2009-02-02, 12:35am

Default Cracks :(

Still no pictures -- can't stop buying glass long enough to save up for a new camera!!!

Have run into major problems with the first round of test beads that I did a couple of weeks or so ago. All of the beads had Devardi bases with various Effetre, Vetro, and silver glass added, and all were encased in the new formulation of Lauscha Soft Clear. All of them cracked! I'm having lots of trouble with cracks showing up in Lauscha encasing after two or three weeks in non-Devardi beads, too.

None of the beads that were Lauscha-less cracked, so at lease some of my pretties have survived. Well, one bead cracked, but it was the one that I stared at way too long before putting it in the kiln. oops!

Spent an evening pulling stringers and making twisties and striped cane for raised florals. Devardi is wonderful for stringer work! I'm madly in love with the way even skinny little 1mm stringers hold their shape and stay firm enough to apply without turning into blobs and splotches, which is my usual style of stringer decorations.

Happy melting,
Birdy
Minor and 5lpm oxycon
Old 2009-02-02, 6:01am
Certified Glassaholic!

Am I the only person who gets some sort of script error notice every time I try to view one of these auction listings?

I keep wanting to check out this glass but every time I run into this script it stalls my computer and just makes me close down that page.

Old 2009-02-02, 8:48am

Hi Natasha,
The glass look great.
I know I am wierd but I hate ebay and paypal. Is there any plan in the future for a more conventional selling outlet?
Old 2009-02-02, 9:12am
Burning through glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepers View Post
Am I the only person who gets some sort of script error notice every time I try to view one of these auction listings?

I keep wanting to check out this glass but every time I run into this script it stalls my computer and just makes me close down that page.
I do too....it's not her auction, it's the scripts with IE. Just hit continue when it pops up the message, and it should load. It can be fixed, you might want to do a Google search on 'fixing script errors', or something to that effect.

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2009-02-02 at 9:17am.
Old 2009-02-02, 9:56am
da General

I have the script errors too on Firefox - I am on a Mac.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-02-02, 12:21pm

These are some of my sample beads made with Devardi Glass. It is a little stiffbut, I love it. It will work with other glass. On the pics, Devardi Black and TerraNova 2, Devardi Green, Coral, & silver ivory, Lt. Op purple with Mor. Transparent Purple and then incased, Devardi Dark Brown, Devardi Op. Red,Devardi Lt. Green and incased

http://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/15...425x425Q85.jpg

Last edited by LawsonsForkGlassBeads; 2009-02-02 at 12:24pm.
Old 2009-02-02, 12:24pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetAge Studio View Post
I do too....it's not her auction, it's the scripts with IE. Just hit continue when it pops up the message, and it should load. It can be fixed, you might want to do a Google search on 'fixing script errors', or something to that effect.
I use Firefox and am on a Mac. I generally tend to shy away from anything that runs a script especially if it generates an error. I don't get a script error with any other Ebay listings just these ones.

Old 2009-02-02, 12:56pm
moth to the flame

I'm on Firefox and I got the error. I just click the stop script and it loads the page. I can't see any difference between loading and not loading the script. Must be in the coding, I don't know.

Pretty beads Lawsons!

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-02-02, 10:02pm

Sorry I can't see the pictures ... got my glass today and having a devil of a job matching it up with the names. For instance I have two possibilities for smoke!

Yes please ... a small bundle bound in saran wrap with one label (I'd pay a dollar more a pound for that). I actually think the rubber bands were so tight they crushed the glass and I have shorts where the glass broke. At this price I won't grumble though and can marry the pieces back together.

I'll be doing some testing tomorrow - I'm home sick (no really I am)! Just making some basic spacers to see how it works and looking for those reactions I am so fond of! At first sight that semi opague green looks very promising color wise. I'll be looking for those colors that maintain that property (love semi op/trans glass).

As long as this glass is compatible I won't complain ... it's cheaper than clear and can be used as a base for beads if the colors don't inspire!

Old 2009-02-03, 11:15am

I have to say that if none of the rods are labeled, that would be the deal breaker for me. I need at least one labeled rod from each color I order, so I know what I have, what I need to re-order etc. I pass up even dirt cheap glass that is not labeled. Any glass that loses its label in my studio is tossed out as soon as I find it and I do label every rod. I have to many types not to go that route. So evidently I won't be ordering as I planned to.

Old 2009-02-03, 1:08pm

I was able to finally play with my glass. I should have purchased more! I liked the glass being a bit stiffer. For my current abilities it works great. The metallic black turned metallic very easy. Easier than Triton. I only had a few minutes so I did not turn on the kiln-just used my blanket. So the pretty bead I made had a thermal crack. But it was a mix of vetro, moretti and the devardi. There were no incompatibility cracks so far. I will keep it so that I can see if any show up.
The colors are pretty and the price is right! I will definitely order more after and if I survive tax season!
Beth
Old 2009-02-03, 3:28pm

Quote:
We are now labelling one rod per color. Thanks, Natasha
great. thats all I need personally.

Old 2009-02-03, 4:00pm
Devardi Glass

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
I was able to finally play with my glass. I should have purchased more! I liked the glass being a bit stiffer. For my current abilities it works great. The metallic black turned metallic very easy. Easier than Triton. I only had a few minutes so I did not turn on the kiln-just used my blanket. So the pretty bead I made had a thermal crack. But it was a mix of vetro, moretti and the devardi. There were no incompatibility cracks so far. I will keep it so that I can see if any show up.
The colors are pretty and the price is right! I will definitely order more after and if I survive tax season!
Beth
Thanks Beth for the info and review. I hope you continue to have great fun and success. Best wishes, Natasha

Natasha's GlassArt

Old 2009-02-03, 4:35pm

Quote:
Hi, just thought I'd post some feedback reviews that people have sent outside LE about our Devardi Glass. Thanks so much everyone. You can find these in more depth on eBay. Usernames have been removed here. Best wishes, Natasha

Fast shipping, and great products!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buyer:
( 1259) Feb-02-09 17:47
1lb Devardi Glass Rods Lampwork COE 104~OP Butterscotch (#320335136385) US

Really, really gorgeous glass, can't wait to see this one etched! Thanks!! Buyer:
( 137) Feb-01-09 19:36
1lb. Devardi Glass Rods Lampworking COE 104~Tr Lt. Rose (#320333670741)

Gorgeous glass, great customer service! I'll be back! Buyer:
( 137) Feb-01-09 19:35
1lb. Devardi Glass Rods Lampworking COE 104~Tr Burgundy (#320335431122) US

LOVE this glass!! Soooo much prettier and easier to deal with than the Moretti! Buyer:
( 137) Feb-01-09 19:34
1lb. Devardi Glass Rod Lampwork COE 104~Op Metallic Blk (#320333360076) US

This company has GREAT customer service! I highly recommend them! Buyer:
( 137) Feb-01-09 19:33
1lb. Devardi Glass Rods Lampworking COE 104~Op Salmon (#320333359369)

I LOVE this color!! LOVE this seller too! I'll be back! Buyer:
( 137) Feb-01-09 19:31
1lb. Devardi Glass Rods Lampworking COE 104~Op Olive (#320333359342)

Nice ! Great seller ! Fast shipping ! A+++++++ Buyer:
( 661) Jan-29-09 18:01
1lb. Devardi Glass Rods Lampwork COE 104~Trans Amethyst (#320333105127) US

LOVE IT !!!!!! Will order again Buyer:
( 42) Jan-29-09 09:32
1lb. Devardi Glass Rods Lampworking COE 104~Tr Lt Ameth (#320333670900) US

Seriously bright color! Buyer:
( 437) Jan-26-09 06:19
1lb. Devardi Glass Rods Lampworking COE 104~Trans Cit. (#320331383722) US

Excellent seller, great communication Buyer:
( 442) Jan-24-09 11:51
1lb. Devardi Glass Rods Lampworking COE 104~Op Salmon (#320333105325
Natasha if you are going to use the forum to sell you may want to consider becoming a vendor.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-02-03, 4:44pm

Jealous ?????
Old 2009-02-03, 5:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
Jealous ?????
Are you serious YellowBird???
I only buy my glass from factories that do not use child labor.
For those of you importing and buying inexpensive glass you may want to read this:

http://www.dol.gov/ilab/media/report...weat/india.htm

Or let me make it easier for you:
From the above U.S. Labor website:

"Glass and Glassware

In 1992, India exported more than $2 million worth of glass and glassware to the United States.56 Estimates of the number of children working in the glass industry range from 8,000 to 50,000.57 The glass and glassware industry in India is concentrated in Ferozabad. The glass factories of Ferozabad produce a number of glass items, such as bangles, chandeliers, wine glasses, beads, crockery, bulbs, and cut glass items. The factories also produce test tubes, beakers, and laboratory glass products.58

The ILRERF Report referred to a glass-factory floor as Dante's "Inferno" due to the intense heat of the furnace (between 1,400-1,600 celsius), lack of ventilation, broken glass everywhere, dangling electric wires, and workers with no protective equipment (no shoes, gloves or goggles).59 Both adult and child workers stand outside furnaces dipping iron rods into molten glass, bringing it out, and throwing it to glass molders or blowers. Boys as young as 11 or 12 sit on the floor for long hours in front of the pot furnaces, melting and fastening glass bangles and beads.60 Often glass splinters injure the workers, and pieces of glass cut into the bare feet of the children. The children bump into each other as they have to run very fast before the molten glass can cool, and may scorch each other's bodies.

An earlier study in 1987 by Cox newspaper reporters found boys under 14 running from the furnaces to the glass blower carrying molten glass.61 The glass blower would then throw the hot iron pole, javelin style, to a child several feet below him, who would put water on it. The reporters observed children walking barefoot over glass littered floors, some with scarred eyes and burnt scalps.

In addition, children of the glass factories in Ferozabad suffer mental retardation,62 asthma, bronchitis, eye problems, liver ailments, skin burns, chronic anemia, and tuberculosis.63 A recent study by Dr. Asha Singh of the Maulana Azad Medical College in New Delhi revealed genetic damage in the body cells of the laborers working close to furnace heat for three years or more.64"

I sleep quite well at night knowing that I have nothing to do with this!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-02-03, 5:05pm

Mmmmm. That's harsh. Its tough times for people at the moment and Paula is only trying the keep the forum tidy and abiding by the protocol. I am sure Natasha understands.

Kym
Old 2009-02-03, 5:21pm

goy
Old 2009-02-03, 5:41pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
goy

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-02-03, 6:42pm

I ordered several pounds of this glass on Friday, 01-30-09, and it was delivered to my door on Monday, 02-02-09. From the state of Washington to Virginia. I have never ordered glass from any vendor and had it delivered that quickly. There was some breakage of mostly one color. I also think that this was due to the irregular rods and the rubber bands being to tight.

I played with the glass today. I like it. As others have stated it is a bit stiffer. I thoroughly abused this glass and did not get it to burn, bubble or loose color. I love the brown. OMG, for those of you who are looking for a dark choc brown, this is it. The white works nicely as a core, it does not bleed up on the edges of the transp. The Burgundy is very dense and looked best as stringer or as a light encasing over the white. The semi-op Marine is a lovely color by itself. I tried it with Dk Ivory. I really abused these two because I like the look of Dk Ivory over heated. This did make the color of the Marine a greener color and a dark center line in the Dk Ivory. V.272 works its magic as a base with stringer of Brown or Semi Op Marine. The stringer has a metallic edge. I was able to get the metallic fumed look but no edge with the Burgundy. I do not see any incompatibility cracks so far. None of the beads made have broken. I will post pictures when I get a chance to take them.
Old 2009-02-03, 9:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I have to say that if none of the rods are labeled, that would be the deal breaker for me. I need at least one labeled rod from each color I order, so I know what I have, what I need to re-order etc. I pass up even dirt cheap glass that is not labeled. Any glass that loses its label in my studio is tossed out as soon as I find it and I do label every rod. I have to many types not to go that route. So evidently I won't be ordering as I planned to.
ROB!!!
*some* of us would happily give your "mystery" cast offs a good home & use them for PPP spacers you know
(lots of cash-strapped folks are willing to make special spaces for a little pile for "unknown coe soft glass" to use for practicing presses, or making spacers only!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-02-04, 8:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillfulOne View Post
I ordered several pounds of this glass on Friday, 01-30-09, and it was delivered to my door on Monday, 02-02-09. From the state of Washington to Virginia. I have never ordered glass from any vendor and had it delivered that quickly. There was some breakage of mostly one color. I also think that this was due to the irregular rods and the rubber bands being to tight.

I played with the glass today. I like it. As others have stated it is a bit stiffer. I thoroughly abused this glass and did not get it to burn, bubble or loose color. I love the brown. OMG, for those of you who are looking for a dark choc brown, this is it. The white works nicely as a core, it does not bleed up on the edges of the transp. The Burgundy is very dense and looked best as stringer or as a light encasing over the white. The semi-op Marine is a lovely color by itself. I tried it with Dk Ivory. I really abused these two because I like the look of Dk Ivory over heated. This did make the color of the Marine a greener color and a dark center line in the Dk Ivory. V.272 works its magic as a base with stringer of Brown or Semi Op Marine. The stringer has a metallic edge. I was able to get the metallic fumed look but no edge with the Burgundy. I do not see any incompatibility cracks so far. None of the beads made have broken. I will post pictures when I get a chance to take them.
I am looking forward to seeing the beads, especially the one with the dark brown metallic edge.
Jim
Old 2009-02-04, 12:53pm
KAS Lampwork Beads

Yes, it would be great to have the glass packed differently and at least one rod labeled but oh Sadie, please don't suggest a price increase as an exchange for different packaging or the rods to be labeled. So many of us (me included) couldn't afford to pay a higher price right now. This is wonderful glass at an affordable price offered at a time when a good deal is hard to come by.

Anyway, that said, I have a question for the Devardi testers. Have you tried the glass in a press yet? The past few days I've been making Anne's Chintz beads using Lauscha, Moretti and Devardi for the bases. None were encased but all were pressed in a lentil press. At least half of the Devardi beads cracked down the middle along the mandrel line. All others were fine. Any thoughts? I do plan to try again but will heat the press on a heat plate. Thanks for any help. Kas

My ETSY STORE:

Old 2009-02-04, 1:14pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
Yes, it would be great to have the glass packed differently and at least one rod labeled but oh Sadie, please don't suggest a price increase as an exchange for different packaging or the rods to be labeled. So many of us (me included) couldn't afford to pay a higher price right now. This is wonderful glass at an affordable price offered at a time when a good deal is hard to come by.

Anyway, that said, I have a question for the Devardi testers. Have you tried the glass in a press yet? The past few days I've been making Anne's Chintz beads using Lauscha, Moretti and Devardi for the bases. None were encased but all were pressed in a lentil press. At least half of the Devardi beads cracked down the middle along the mandrel line. All others were fine. Any thoughts? I do plan to try again but will heat the press on a heat plate. Thanks for any help. Kas
I haven't played with Devardi, but I'm sure you already know that cracking along the mandrel is a thermal crack. When I 1st switched to 96, I had that problem a couple of times because the stiffer glass cooled more quickly. Here's what I learned:

1. Make sure your glass is hot and press quickly.
2. You may have to press multiple times, but be sure to reheat after each press.
3. Have your press elevated to the level of your torch so that you don't have to travel as far to press (losing heat in the meantime).

After a while, you get used to the way the glass works and you won't have any issues. I no longer have to repress multiple times, for the most part because I know exactly how hot to get the glass and how fast to move.

Old 2009-02-04, 2:25pm
KAS Lampwork Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
I haven't played with Devardi, but I'm sure you already know that cracking along the mandrel is a thermal crack. When I 1st switched to 96, I had that problem a couple of times because the stiffer glass cooled more quickly. Here's what I learned:

1. Make sure your glass is hot and press quickly.
2. You may have to press multiple times, but be sure to reheat after each press.
3. Have your press elevated to the level of your torch so that you don't have to travel as far to press (losing heat in the meantime).

After a while, you get used to the way the glass works and you won't have any issues. I no longer have to repress multiple times, for the most part because I know exactly how hot to get the glass and how fast to move.
Thank you Shawnette! I'll take your advice and press more quickly. I really do like the new glass and was hoping it was my fault for the cracked beads. Enjoy the day! Kas

My ETSY STORE:

Tags
devardi, missing posts?