Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-03-01, 9:24pm
Eugene, Oregon

Good idea on the dymo. I'll have to put that on next years christmas list.

Personally I think that every sample pack should have labels. I hate it when I'm given one that is not. It tends to make me not want to touch it for fear I will love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2011-03-02, 7:03pm
Debra Clutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leia View Post
Yup I label every rod of mine with the color and coe using my dymo label maker. the labels dont come off on their own, i have to force them off
Yes, the labels stick until you burn them off! LOL! I haven't been on LE for a while, nice to see ya Leia!

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2011-03-03, 4:20am

DO those labels stick well to the glass? I've had problems with that!!

Thanks,
Mary
Old 2011-03-03, 10:34pm

I make a table in word, each cell is 1/2 inch tall by 1 inch long. 7 cells per row and as many down that will fit on the page. I type the letter for each glass type at the top, the last 3 numbers after the letter and the name below. EX: M212 Pea Green, I then cut and paste the info after highlighting the number of cells I need.

I cut them all out then tape them to the end of the rod with 3/4" scotch tape. I clean the rods with alcohol and put them in the 'rack'. The racks are made with different diameter PVC pipe. It's all very neat and tidy. I can stand back and know what is what, the moretti on top, a few Lauscha, CIM on the bottom. BE is in a bundle across the room and I have no boro.

It doesn't take long unless you don't do it for awhile. I've been in the studio cleaning all the glass and organizing it the past 3 days. I have a ton of CIM that I got in Tucson last year, sadly it's sat there gathering dust unmarked all this time. Some very pretty glass in that bunch!!

Anybody that wants the table can send me an email, I'll be happy to send it to you.

More glass coming for Melanie Moertel's class in a few weeks. Getting ready!!!

Last edited by cc2; 2011-04-06 at 2:11pm. Reason: added email offer of word table
Old 2011-03-18, 5:33pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!
Default Labelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
It's actually faster to use the tiny return address labels. You can print a whole sheet and then just peel and stick.
Yes, I agree with Shawnette. The Brother labels tend to come unstuck I find.

And yes, I've labelled every rod I have ... took for EVER ... as there's over 3-400 lbs of glass ...!!!
Old 2011-04-06, 2:14pm

Shoot me an email and I'll send you the word table if you want. YOu don't need Microsoft on your machine to read it, you can download from the internet. CC

Old 2011-04-06, 4:35pm
Bad Cat Glass

This may sound silly, but I label as I go. When my glass arrives, I make sure that one rod of each color is labeled, and don't use that rod until I buy more. When I need a rod, I just write up an Avery label right at my torch -- two second with a Sharpie. Seems less time consuming than labeling every rod up front, and all of the rods on my bench at any given time are labeled.
Old 2011-04-07, 7:45am
Somewhat out there!

My handwriting is horrid. Horrid. I like to think that the neater my labeling the more organized I am (yeah right) a girl can dream. And thanks to CC2 for the label table.

Julianne
Old 2011-04-08, 9:26am

Thanks so much CC2 for the table.

Wondering though, to where you "then cut and paste the info after highlighting the number of cells I need" ?
Old 2011-04-08, 11:11am
Somewhat out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillipgoodie@yahooot View Post
Thanks so much CC2 for the table.

Wondering though, to where you "then cut and paste the info after highlighting the number of cells I need" ?
I think you write in your own label once, than copy/cut/paste it to the rest of the cells. Haven't used it yet though. Looks pretty straight forward

Julianne
Old 2011-04-11, 9:32am

I change the files out as I go, puttin an R for Reichenbach, or CIM, or TAG.......the number behind the letter, then type the glass color, I let the text wrap inside the cell otherwise it won't copy/paste in each cell. I also now label the glass as it arrives.

If I have 4 pounds of Dark Ivory, I type it in the first cell, then copy and paste that cell to the whole page. This way I don't have to type each one. Make sense? If not, shoot me an email, (you can do that under my profile). I'll walk you thru it. CC2

Old 2011-04-11, 9:50am

Very clear even for a slow learner like me! Thanks again,
Cyndi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc2 View Post
I change the files out as I go, puttin an R for Reichenbach, or CIM, or TAG.......the number behind the letter, then type the glass color, I let the text wrap inside the cell otherwise it won't copy/paste in each cell. I also now label the glass as it arrives.

If I have 4 pounds of Dark Ivory, I type it in the first cell, then copy and paste that cell to the whole page. This way I don't have to type each one. Make sense? If not, shoot me an email, (you can do that under my profile). I'll walk you thru it. CC2
Old 2012-01-15, 8:22pm

I label all my rods. I get the permanent labels at the office supply store. I didn't realize there was a difference in labels and it was a pain when the non permanent all fell off. I put it at the very base of each rod. It really doesn't take long and it is worth it. I don't have to guess what color I have. I still have a tray of unknowns from the days before I did this. It it also really helpful when I do inventory.

Old 2012-01-17, 10:24am

I put my labels on with the non-shiny scotch tape, get it just a little wider than the labels, it holds but doesn't have so much 'stick' to the glass that I have a blob of residue on the glass after I remove the label. I only do that right before I use up the rest of the rod.

Old 2012-01-17, 7:11pm
Can't you see I'm busy???

I have to mention StashMaster again. It can help you print labels with whatever bits of data you want, but it can do so much more! Things like keeping track of the various batches of a single color (Effetre Coral!), keeping your torch notes, etc. Not to mention keeping your inventory and flagging items to order (or to never order again). Really worth a try!
Old 2012-01-18, 6:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassPuppy View Post
I have to mention StashMaster again. It can help you print labels with whatever bits of data you want, but it can do so much more! Things like keeping track of the various batches of a single color (Effetre Coral!), keeping your torch notes, etc. Not to mention keeping your inventory and flagging items to order (or to never order again). Really worth a try!
LINK?

Old 2012-01-20, 10:59am

Stashmaster: http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182298