No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-08, 10:16am
ninja thread killer

Default A different way to blow hollow beads

I've never seen it done this way before. Is it just me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnT1B...eature=related
Old 2012-09-08, 11:01am

I don't know which fascinated me more, the technique, or the tool! Found them for sale here: http://www.nwartglass.com/Online+Cat...04&ItemId=5231

This is sooooo going on my Christmas list!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-09-08, 11:09am
grama punky - class junky

whoa...very cool. anyone used? love that doesnt need O2... am looking at trying to move from hotheads for students but having 02 issue...this may just fix it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-08, 11:33am

That is sooooo cool! How much is it? I can't see the prices.

Old 2012-09-08, 11:33am
Mr Brutus RIP

cool video, anyone know how much?

Old 2012-09-08, 4:10pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

That is cool. That is the smallest glory hole I have seen. Great way to get more out of a propane torch.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-09-08, 4:38pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Wow, I'd love one of those, I'd have melted glass all over the inside of it though where my shaky hands hit the side or my glass got too hot.

I love the little rod rest.

Too cool, thanks for posting that and does anyone know what it costs or how hard would it be to make one?

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2012-09-08, 5:46pm
Alaska Boro

One could use a 6 inch OD or so pipe and use a castable refractory such as Kast-O-Lite 26 LI for temps in the range of 2600 F or Versaflow 60 Plus for 3100 F. For the holes, depending on the cure temperature of the refractory a candle could be used and then melted out.

Looks like an interesting project that would be suitable for use with soft glass.
Old 2012-09-08, 8:48pm

Um, whaaa? I am very impressed by your knowledge and even more impressed with your vocabulary...
Old 2012-09-08, 8:56pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tumblingdragonz View Post
Wow, I'd love one of those, I'd have melted glass all over the inside of it though where my shaky hands hit the side or my glass got too hot.

I love the little rod rest.

Too cool, thanks for posting that and does anyone know what it costs or how hard would it be to make one?

namaste
Rowyn
I dunno, did you notice he left the rod of glass sitting in the crucible while he marvered the bead, it mustn't stick

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-09-09, 7:59am
ninja thread killer

If you haven't clicked through his other videos, this one you can actually hear him talk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O954n...hannel&list=UL

And this is his website. He created the Volcano. This page explains it but I'm not finding anything about where or how to buy it. You'd probably have to contact him.
http://www.designsinglass.de/volcano.htm

Oh, duh. Northwest Art Glass. Has anybody bought from them before? You need an account to log in and get the price.

Last edited by Keewin; 2012-09-09 at 8:07am.
Old 2012-09-09, 8:01am

You can buy it from Northwest Art Glass, but you have to have a wholesale account. Somebody needs to start selling these things!

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-09-09, 8:14am
ninja thread killer

I like his little upright stands from his webpage!
Old 2012-09-09, 11:49am
Curmudgeon Engineering

This came up somewhere about a year or so ago IIRC and I seem to recall finding some/enough info that would have made it very easy to reproduce (make) one. A bit impractical for most bead making styles though. It would be fun to play with. My idea was to make it slightly differently and hold a crucible of clear and use it 'hot shop' style and for encasing.
Old 2012-09-09, 6:24pm
Naysayer

Oh man, now that is an idea! The crucible for clear I mean.

The volcano is cool, but I also see a lot of limitations, decorating etc
Old 2012-09-12, 7:47am

One problem I see is that you are sitting almost on top of the exhaust plume and there is virtually no ventilation. It's an interesting idea but I wouldn't want to be breathing all of that stuff.

Robert
Old 2012-09-12, 4:01pm
Unmedicated since '62

good point

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-09-12, 4:22pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
My idea was to make it slightly differently and hold a crucible of clear and use it 'hot shop' style and for encasing.
And where is this said idea?????
Old 2012-09-13, 7:17am
Carpe beadum

I love the hollow method! The torch would make me buggers. You can't see what you are doing, it limits your movement and it sounds like a blast furnace. Besides the fumes issue as well.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 2012-09-13, 7:38am
Who me?

Whoa, that would be a neat tool for encasing....
Old 2012-09-13, 10:14am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I'll get around to it one of these days.... maybe!
Old 2012-09-13, 10:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
One problem I see is that you are sitting almost on top of the exhaust plume and there is virtually no ventilation. It's an interesting idea but I wouldn't want to be breathing all of that stuff.

Robert
Yes. also, the insides of these are un coated loose frax fiber which is quite carcinogenic. Make your own out of refractory cement and then ventilate it VERY well.
Old 2012-09-13, 12:21pm
Playing with Fire!

Dudley Giberson re-invented the ancient bead-making volcano furnace in the early 90's, using modern materials. We actually worked with one at Haystack in a workshop he gave there around 1992.

Dudley has drawings for building this type of burner in the book. "A Glassblower's Companion" by Dudley Giberson.
http://www.joppaglass.com/book/Lit_page.html#Dream)

He also has a video for sale of the "Volcano" being used at the bottom of that page.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2012-09-13, 1:04pm
Playing with Fire!

The insides of Dudley's volcano were made of tamped fiberfrax that were chopped up in a food processor along with colodial silica for a binder, these wet fibers were packed on top of a form to shape the cone (almost like applying paper mache).

After initial burnout of the binder, the entire cone, inside and out was coated with a very heavy paste made from colloidal silica and finely milled zircon power. This created a very ridged surface that completely binds up the frax, and is a refractory surface which is flame friendly.

He fired the original one with wood, dung, grasses, etc. just like the ancient ones. The final version used a simple burner head on a venturi, and was fired with propane for fuel. Much hotter than using a plumbing torch... but much more to build. We experimented by making small cones by the same technique, and then suspending them over a very large bunsen burner.

Playing with Fire!

Last edited by Ed_Slawson; 2012-09-13 at 1:07pm.
Old 2012-09-13, 2:45pm

You could make your own volcano out of some carved out 2800F firebrick cemented together with a hole for the torch/burner and put it on your bench under your exhaust fan. Probably take a half hour to make...
I would probably turn it on its side and raise it up so you work through the front.
There is a Bazillion ways to melt glass!
Old 2012-09-13, 3:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
This came up somewhere about a year or so ago IIRC and I seem to recall finding some/enough info that would have made it very easy to reproduce (make) one. A bit impractical for most bead making styles though. It would be fun to play with. My idea was to make it slightly differently and hold a crucible of clear and use it 'hot shop' style and for encasing.
the first time i saw that i thought the same thing....mini crucible kiln for furnace style marble encasement.
Old 2012-09-14, 3:53am
Run Free Sweet Boy

you can make a great little table top glory hole with a stainless steel pot and either fiber frax or castable

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-09-16, 12:20pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Mike H,
Good to see you here. I haven't seen anything from you here in ages. You, I know, have a fair bit of experience with home made 'crucible' kilns and such so your input is valuable.
PJH

Now where can I get some castable refractory and a stainless steel can? A 6" piece of SS tube and weld a bottom on it and.....