No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-07-21, 1:17am
all for the love of glass

Default Help connecting OxyCon

We've moved from Israel (where I purchased the unit) to Qatar in the Middle East..not a whole lot of resources here. Just unwrapped the unit and it seems something is missing. Can anyone tell me what it is?! There are no other pieces in the wrapping and I did not ever put together or bother with it while using so I don't know what should be here but of course it won't connect like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2014-07-21, 3:41am

looks to me that you are trying to attached a flash back arrestor (or check valve...can't tell from pic) to the oxycon.
all you need is hose and hose clamps. put the hose on the barb and clamp her down. no fba's needed on an oxycon.
Old 2014-07-21, 5:27am

theres nothing on the oxycon unit itself though..nothing to thread anything onto.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2014-07-21, 5:47am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Can you post pics of all of the front surfaces of the oxycon - there should be a nipple poking out somewhere that you push the hose onto.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2014-07-21, 6:03am
Gentleman of Leisure

What is make and model of unit? I'm not seeing anything to connect hose (FB arrestor or check valve) to... Need pic from further back that shows more of front of machine, pic you have posted shows to little of details...

Its quite possible if there was a hose protruding out of unit, to connect to, it possibly has fallen back inside unit during shipping...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2014-07-21 at 6:10am.
Old 2014-07-21, 7:52am

That's what we thought Dale but no rattling inside, I'll try to check that out further with flashlight. Thanks everyone..will post more pics shortly.

Old 2014-07-21, 8:34am

Sorry for the poor lighting..
Our things went through a grueling customs check..there's a possibility a small piece was misplaced at that time..not sure what I'm looking for. I've looked at NewLife site for replacement parts but not seeing any help there. Just checking with you all before I research further. My guy says silicone it on...

Old 2014-07-21, 12:07pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

What's the model number?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2014-07-21, 12:10pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

That part that sticks out in the middle is where you connect. Look from the floor up and you will see the connection hole.

Look at the pic on the first page here and you can see where the hose conencts.

http://www.cairemedical.com/getattac...6f910b5e/.aspx

It does appear that you need the piece that screws in to the unit that is supposed to protrude out.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2014-07-21, 12:11pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

If you look at figure 5 on page 18 (labeled page 12) of the link above, you can see the plastic piece that is missing.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2014-07-21, 12:14pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I am thinking Kimberly with Pyronamix would be able to sell you one.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2014-07-21, 12:17pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Sorry I am posting so much - but I just figured out your first pic. It looks like the piece you screw the plastic piece to is also missing. I would expect there to be a metal threaded piece coming out of that hole in your first pic - and the plastic would screw to that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=oxyg...tm%3B222%3B111

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2014-07-21, 7:06pm
Dancing in the Flame

Squid is right - the threaded 'femaile' connector is missing as is the barbed end that the hose fits onto.

mine is not the same model - but it does show where the barb should be. You should be able to get the right connector online.

Old 2014-07-21, 10:16pm

sorry guys..I was zzzz. Time difference. I'll check online..such a bummer, I've been without this for so long and now I have to sit on my hands some more.

Thanks for the help!

Editing to add Ive emailed Kim with Pyronamix..thanks for that Squid

Last edited by flamemoth; 2014-07-22 at 1:18am.
Old 2014-07-23, 12:46pm
PyronamixK

It looks like the threaded DISS fitting is gone. Normally, the brass B-fitting from an oxygen hose would simply screw onto the machine's threaded DISS fitting and for people using tubing with the B-fittings on the end, there is what's called a Christmas Tree adaptor that screws onto the threaded DISS fitting onto which a tube can be slipped. I'll see if I can take a picture of one of mine to show you what I'm talking about.
Old 2014-07-23, 2:19pm
Alaska Boro

A brass barb with nut can be used in place of the plastic one, depending on what is locally avaialble.

Old 2014-07-23, 2:37pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

the problem is that what the plastic piece is supposed to screw onto is also missing.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2014-07-23, 4:32pm
Alaska Boro

The simple "duct tape" solution is to take the covers off. Find the end of the plastic hose, take it off the internal connection and add your own longer hose. That way finding a replacement fitting will be moot.

It is nice to have the proper fitting/s, but not at all required to make use of the unit. Thus the "duct tape" backwoods solution!!
Old 2014-07-24, 2:19am

thanks for your thoughts everyone..I'm going to try the part Kim has and see if that's the ticket..[meanwhile. I like the way you think Alaska ]