No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2014-02-02, 1:19pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Default Weird noises from gauge cluster on Oxygen tank

I'm running a Mini CC on tanked oxygen. I'm on maybe my 5th or 6th K tank, ran one out yesterday, switched over to the new tank this morning.

Shortly after I lit the torch - long enough to get halfway through a fairly complex bead, maybe 5-6 minutes - there started to be a really weird noise coming from the gauge cluster, sort of an intermittent clicking or popping sound, with the flame fluctuating when the noise happened.

I finished the bead, then shut down the tank and spent the rest of the afternoon on the HotHead. (At some point it occurred to me that the noise might have been coming from the flashback arrestor, and maybe finishing the bead was not an act of genius...)

It's an outside studio in upstate NY, so temps fluctuate from 15 below to maybe in the 60s when I've got the heat on. I'm running a propane space heater, so it gets VERY damp in there, especially since I sometimes run the heat when I'm not torching, so the ventilation isn't on.

Any suggestions? I've got a show coming up in 8 weeks, and really need to work on inventory, but not bad enough to blow myself up...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-02-03, 8:20am

I read somewhere on this forum that the only time temperature really affects an oxy tank is when it changes drastically (up or down ~20 degrees in a few minutes)

It sounds like you might be in that situation? There isn't anything wrong with keeping the oxy tank outside in the cold - if you can easily move it as a test, give it a try.
Old 2014-02-03, 6:14pm

Did you remove the flashback arrestor and check it?
I wonder I the valve is stuttering and causing a fluctuation in pressure.

Old 2014-02-03, 6:44pm
Alaska Boro

One could take only the regulator in for a day and see if once warmed up the issue continues. Also assume that the "T" handle is returned to its no pressure setting once the oxygen is bleed from the system and that a wide range of pressures can be set.

If a name brand regulator, check with Air Gas, Air Liquide or other welding supply shops and ask their opinion as to the issue, repair or replacement.
Old 2014-02-05, 3:20am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Whatever the problem was, it resolved itself - I lit the torch yesterday, used it for an hour, and couldn't get it to make the noise again. The only thing different was that after I shut it down the other day I took a wrench to every connection point, but I'd swear that none of them budged, so I doubt that was it.

I'm betting it was weather related, it's been SO cold off and on, maybe a little ice crystal or something.

L-111

Old 2014-02-19, 4:04am

it's the diaphram in the reg just acting up...they make noise in the cold.

next time, don't switch torches. just turn off reg, bleed lines and then reset everything. it'll go away.