Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2017-02-23, 1:17am

Default Marble bead help?

I have been trying (mentally) to visualize how to get a swirled marble effect done in a bead. I mean the kind that have several colors in one swirl and a second swirl of other colors. Just like an old fashioned marble marble. Do you think its made sort of like a tornado bead? would you first make a ribbon of colors and then attach and swirl it around a core at 90 degrees and then fill in w/clear? or am I totally off. How about swirling/corkscrewing/applying to the core, like the tornado start but adding different colors building out horizontally on top of the twirl you began? Anyone have any experience making a marble bead?

appreciate your skills/opinions

della
Old 2017-02-23, 7:29am

With borosilicate it would be very easy making it from tube,opposing spirals or anything.
Even use big tube put the color inside, twist up, pull down and make the beads by the dozen at once from pulling the big tube down to size, cutting them to length with diamond shears. ISo beads would look awesome.

In soft glass on a Mandel id just spin trail the colors on.
Old 2017-02-23, 6:42pm

Hi Della, I have a tutorial for a twisted dichroic bead which kind of looks like a marble bead with sparkling dichroic in it

Here is the link if you are interested:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/MagmaBeads?ref=pr_shop%2F

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Magma Beads .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2017-02-23, 7:00pm
Slogan Challenged...

Sounds like your ideas are good ones, you pretty much got it. Here are some links to help. I think if you give it a try, you should see how that works pretty quickly and adapt it as you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnTTnZdSFNI

http://deesignedbeads.blogspot.com/2...-tutorial.html

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2017-02-24, 5:58am

Thank you for replying folks. Was kind of you to chime in. When the weather improves. Hope this is not "one of those years" here in Seattle where the sun doesn't come out until mid July, or LOUSY TOMATO YEAR as I like to call it. My setup is in an unheated garage, so realistically can only work during the summer. I will try your suggestions and perhaps try to figure out the logistics for getting your tutorial, Magma.
Thanks again,
della