LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2022-03-31, 2:22pm

Default Bead Release Flaking Off

I'm using Firework bead release and about 10-20% of the time the bead release begins to crack and peal off around the top of the mandrel. My steps are to dip and twist the mandrel into the release then let it air dry. I then slowly heat it up to glowing hot by first holding it behind the bead then moving it into the end of the flame. Is there a technique getting it to adhere better? Thanks.
Old 2022-03-31, 3:02pm

Is the bead slipping? If so, do some research on your bead release.

I've had luck with roughing up my mandrel with steel wool, double-dip the mandrel slowly (no twisting and slower dips generally give thinner coats), then air dry for a day (the longer, the better actually), finally flame dry but don't heat up too much, just trying to drive off any last bits of moisture.
Also, once glass is applied I keep my bead hot to minimize working time but that also helps the release to hold better.

Good luck!
Old 2022-03-31, 4:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktscientist View Post
Is the bead slipping? If so, do some research on your bead release.

I've had luck with roughing up my mandrel with steel wool, double-dip the mandrel slowly (no twisting and slower dips generally give thinner coats), then air dry for a day (the longer, the better actually), finally flame dry but don't heat up too much, just trying to drive off any last bits of moisture.
Also, once glass is applied I keep my bead hot to minimize working time but that also helps the release to hold better.

Good luck!
The bead isn't slipping, though once and awhile it will let go if I'm too aggressive with the marver. I'll try a slow double dip and not getting it glowing hot. Thanks for the advice.
Old 2022-04-01, 7:55am
Phill

My question is; Did you wash the manufacturing oils and grease off the mandrels before you torched them the first time?

Ammonia, Dawn dish soap and Simply Green are good degreasers as is Break Clean, Carb Cleaner and Acetone Nail polish remover.

A good roughing up with sand paper, coarse steel wool or a metal file is a good idea too.

Once the oils are torched on to the mandrel it can get kind of glassy and it may take sand paper or a metal file to scrape off the cooked on oils so it's best to clean them before their heating.

Good Luck chasing up a fix.

Oh and file off the nibs where the cutters pinched the ends too.
Those nibs can gouge the flesh right off your fingers when you least expect it and hurts like hell.
Don't ask how I know this.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2022-04-01 at 7:04pm.
Old 2022-04-01, 9:32am
Slogan Challenged...

Don't let the bead get too cool. Heating up & cooling down is what loosens that bead release. And be gentle with marvers or presses, try to press rather than roll.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2022-04-01, 5:23pm

This might help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVx1sjYtRx8

YouTube: Lampwork Glass Beads by LePoppet