No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-14, 9:21pm
Administrator

Default New use for crimp pliers

I recently learned how to wire wrap and I could not get the hang of getting the last bit of the wire to lay flat in the coil. Well, I was looking and my crimp pliers have the round part of them. If I use that, it fits perfectly around my wire wrap, I close the pliers and twist and the little end gets tucked right in.

It works great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-06-15, 4:16am
sunscreen me baby

You can actually use them for the entire wire wrap. Just take them and roll them around the base wire pressing the wrapping wire down in a nice unifrom looking wrap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

Old 2005-06-15, 9:57am
Satake Woman!

What a great idea! Thanks!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-06-15, 11:47am
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ
You can actually use them for the entire wire wrap. Just take them and roll them around the base wire pressing the wrapping wire down in a nice unifrom looking wrap.

Could you explain this a little more? I do horrible rosary wraps but I do have these pliers!

Thanks
Audra
Old 2005-06-15, 12:24pm
sunscreen me baby

I'll try. OK after you make your loop and cross the wrapping wire over the base wire at a 45 degree angle you pick up the crimping pliers. You are going to use the rounding section. Put the top half of the rounding section on top of your wrapping wire so the wire runs the length of the tool. By pushing down and a bit forward on the pliers you are pushing the wrapping wire against and around the base wire. As you push with the pliers you will rotate the base wire towards you. (think mandrel rotation but towards you) I find this technique helps me get the wrapping wire to be tight on the base wire.

~

Old 2005-06-16, 7:59am
Wicked Mean Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorriDawn
I recently learned how to wire wrap and I could not get the hang of getting the last bit of the wire to lay flat in the coil. Well, I was looking and my crimp pliers have the round part of them. If I use that, it fits perfectly around my wire wrap, I close the pliers and twist and the little end gets tucked right in.

It works great!

Corri,

What a great idea, I'll have to try this one.

Old 2005-06-16, 8:40am
Crispy Critter

OMG, this thread is such a hand-saver. I made a wire-wrapped necklace the other day with 20 gauge half hard silver, and was having such a tough time because of my creaky joints. THANKS!!! I'm giving this thread 5 stars!

Old 2005-06-22, 6:17pm
daughter and I

Cool, maybe my wire will be flush now.....GREAT tip! Valerie