No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-22, 11:25am

Question Where's the shiny?

Hey all,

I'm a very very new lampwork, working on a Hot Head with a bulk tank of propylene. So far, I'm very happy with it... except....

This past week I took a lampworking class and worked on a GTT torch (can't remember if it was a bobcat or lynx) and I noticed a distinct difference in the beads I created on the teacher's torch and the ones I create at home.

The ones on the GTT are much more "shiny". They have a gloss that the one I make on my hothead do not have. Its noticable in the flame as well.

Does anyone know why this might be?

I wasn't planning on upgrading my torch setup until next year, but this is frustrating enough that it might have to happen more quickly.
Old 2005-06-22, 12:18pm
Life in the slow lane

What glass did you use when on the GTT torch compared to your HH? I must admit that the glass on a oxy/propane torch sometimes take on a better shine, but not always. I think it depends on the type of fuel you may use as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-06-22, 1:00pm
Back from the Dark Side

I noticed a difference as well between a hot head and a minor burner. I think it is because the oxy/propane torches run hotter. I know the shine is possible on a HH, there are tons of beaders that use it. With a minor, you flash your bead thru the flame to get it shiny, or fire polished. You may have to keep the bead in the flame a bit longer on a hh to do that.

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2005-06-22, 3:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlia
What glass did you use when on the GTT torch compared to your HH? I must admit that the glass on a oxy/propane torch sometimes take on a better shine, but not always. I think it depends on the type of fuel you may use as well.
Oh, good question. I should have mentioned that. I'm using soft glass - primarily Moretti/Effetre but also some Lauscha and Vetrofond.
Old 2005-06-22, 3:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Larson
I noticed a difference as well between a hot head and a minor burner.
*whew* I'm glad that someone else has noticed the phenomena because my DH thinks I'm nuts.