LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-10-24, 8:56pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Brass keys - I coated with bead release and torched at coolest temps hoping I could baby it along. No. Yikes. It popped hot metal at me, the little booger. I had less than a second to think to myself "how would I have liked that down my shirt or on my arm" before I plopped that bugger into the water bowl. bad key! Bad, bad key!
I dumped that thing faster than my first husband. Once burned, twice shy.
Old 2007-10-25, 6:26am
Molten Glass Addict

Hi everyone. My friend at work brought in 17 keys. They're like the ones I posted pics of. There are not holes in the ends, they are solid. She said to email her if you are interested in any. I'm sure she can send a pic. Nothing really fancy, but she said she could look for some, because she does antiques, and she might run across something more interesting.

Her name is tracy, email her at tburr@centurytel.net.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< me in my younger days

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2007-10-25, 6:55am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retta View Post
They would go nicely with one of these... http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7489074
I love those wee doors and his descriptions are so funny!

I got a bunch of keys on ebay, and I noticed that some of them pop and sizzle and even flame up as in "catch on fire" so every day at the torch with a key is something new. It's a lot of fun though. I've tried using vice grips but they are too cumbersome so have resorted to the punty method. Seems to work better for me with larger diameter tube.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2007-10-25 at 6:58am.
Old 2007-10-29, 6:18am
Molten Glass Addict

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasstastic Treasures View Post
Hi everyone. My friend at work brought in 17 keys. They're like the ones I posted pics of. There are not holes in the ends, they are solid. She said to email her if you are interested in any. I'm sure she can send a pic. Nothing really fancy, but she said she could look for some, because she does antiques, and she might run across something more interesting.

Her name is tracy, email her at tburr@centurytel.net.
Just a reminder to anyone who wanted some keys. I'll be buying the lot if no one emails her.

Have a great monday!!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2007-10-29, 6:39am

Quote:
Just a reminder to anyone who wanted some keys. I'll be buying the lot if no one emails her.

Have a great monday!!
I just spent all of my "art budget" on glass, maybe if you buy the keys and post pictures later on we can buy them from you
Old 2007-10-29, 6:56am

I wrote this in my ETsy auction for my key beads in early October:
http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction...ion_id=6233256
I am making more this week! I am LOVING key beads!

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-10-29, 7:02am

Hey Robin, thanks for sharing that info...
Was the key really brass? The reason I ask is that I got several keys from a reputable key seller on Ebay and he guaranteed they were brass. They weren't. They were a lead alloy coated with brass. They popped, melted and ashed!

I wrote him and he replaced them immediately. I have tested ALL the keys I have - both "brass" and steel, and so far all have been fine when held in the flame for more than 2 minutes. That's why I ask... although mine MIGHT be bronze I suppose, but they aren't reacting badly.

It's a BIT*H holding them in the flame tho! I am not having success puntying up to glass with the key, and I am using hemostats.
Hugs
Lynnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
Brass keys - I coated with bead release and torched at coolest temps hoping I could baby it along. No. Yikes. It popped hot metal at me, the little booger. I had less than a second to think to myself "how would I have liked that down my shirt or on my arm" before I plopped that bugger into the water bowl. bad key! Bad, bad key!
I dumped that thing faster than my first husband. Once burned, twice shy.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-10-29, 10:04am
Molten Glass Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danelady View Post
Hey Robin, thanks for sharing that info...
Was the key really brass? The reason I ask is that I got several keys from a reputable key seller on Ebay and he guaranteed they were brass. They weren't. They were a lead alloy coated with brass. They popped, melted and ashed!

I wrote him and he replaced them immediately. I have tested ALL the keys I have - both "brass" and steel, and so far all have been fine when held in the flame for more than 2 minutes. That's why I ask... although mine MIGHT be bronze I suppose, but they aren't reacting badly.

It's a BIT*H holding them in the flame tho! I am not having success puntying up to glass with the key, and I am using hemostats.
Hugs
Lynnie
Lynnie,

I dipped the key in bead release and used a hollow glue brush, found next to the wood glue at Mendards. I put the end of the key into the brush and heated it, when the sludge dried it held it nicely.

I bought the bag of brushed as an assortment of about 6-8 per bag, different sizes. But they are hollow, and there is a slit in the brush handle, so you could flatten with plyers and work it onto the key!

Jamie

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2007-10-29, 1:28pm

Kewl! Thanks they are called GLUE BRUSHES right?? what are they made of please? (metal or...?

Thanks so much for the tip!
Quote:
Lynnie,

I dipped the key in bead release and used a hollow glue brush, found next to the wood glue at Mendards. I put the end of the key into the brush and heated it, when the sludge dried it held it nicely.

I bought the bag of brushed as an assortment of about 6-8 per bag, different sizes. But they are hollow, and there is a slit in the brush handle, so you could flatten with plyers and work it onto the key!

Jamie

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-10-29, 1:33pm
Molten Glass Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danelady View Post
Kewl! Thanks they are called GLUE BRUSHES right?? what are they made of please? (metal or...?

Thanks so much for the tip!
They are aluminum, so be careful. The longer ones work better. But they're hollow, so the heat won't travel too far. But if you put a finger too close it will hurt. And I'm an expert on burning myself!!

I don't know exactly what they're called. But I found mine next to the wood glue in hardware. They also use these as flux brushes for stained glass. That's why I bought mine.

You'll find them, any good hardware will know what you're talking about! You might even be able to use a piece of hollow tubing, copper or stainless, gavenized, those can be found at hardware stores too!!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2007-10-30, 3:00am

I've got a bunch of old keys lying around, you always keep them and forget what they were for.

I'll have a try this evening if I can find one suitable.
Old 2007-10-30, 5:57am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

Im making a whole set as a sun catcher, each time I torch I make one for me
Oh and i just use bead release on a larger mandrel, and stick the key on it, wa la!
now thats for the hollow keys. for the solid ones you can use a hollow mandrel and do the same..

~~
~~
Old 2007-10-30, 8:34am
Mama said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever After View Post
Im making a whole set as a sun catcher, each time I torch I make one for me
Oh and i just use bead release on a larger mandrel, and stick the key on it, wa la!
now thats for the hollow keys. for the solid ones you can use a hollow mandrel and do the same..
Great ideas!!!

~Michelle
Old 2007-10-30, 2:02pm
burnin' glass just becuz

has anyone tried doing this with just a regular house/drawer key? i have a whole box of those i was going to toss until found this thread....

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2007-10-31, 12:31am
I speak Murrini!

Default And now for something completely different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever After View Post
Awesome keys! its addicting I've been wanting to make these for about two years!
Please forgive my digression, but I must ask:

Laurie, are those "Gelfling" in your avatar? I loved that movie, "The Dark Crystal"...

OK - back to Keys, everybody!!! Really enjoying this thread...love the pictures!!!

DeAnne in CA

(PS - My daughter's name is Kira!)

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2007-10-31, 2:48am

Well, I looked in the box of "who knows what they are for anymore but I don't dare throw them out" box of keys and found a couple. I tried one of them yesterday and it melted on me!

Must have been some cheapie lead alloy thing... back to the drawing board...
Old 2007-11-02, 11:45am

This thread has me thinking. I bought some "antique" keys. Is there any way, other than trying to melt them, that I could test to make sure they're not made with lead?
Thanks,

Old 2007-11-02, 11:58am

Magnet. My hubby said they would be the best bet if a magnet stuck to them. Then they are most likely to be safest. Also, make sure you have all your ventilation on.
Old 2007-11-02, 12:10pm

Phew, thanks Lynn. I can use a magnet to lift them off the counter. Can even lift two in a chain....third one lifts but falls off.....I sooooo have to let the kid in me out of the house more often I have my ventilation on full, open extra windows or doors, and make sure I do them last so that I'm not in there when they're in the kiln.

Old 2007-11-02, 12:37pm
Yeller Rose

I really loved the look of Jane's keys and they seem to be no problem for her. I didn't have a problem getting the bead on but 2 months later 2 of them cracked. I am using them as curtain tiebacks so I epoxied and put them back. They are cute but I haven't made anymore. Barb
Old 2007-11-04, 2:00pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Please forgive my digression, but I must ask:

Laurie, are those "Gelfling" in your avatar? I loved that movie, "The Dark Crystal"...

OK - back to Keys, everybody!!! Really enjoying this thread...love the pictures!!!

DeAnne in CA

(PS - My daughter's name is Kira!)
yes thats who they are, I love anything Henson,
beautiful name for your daughter !!!

~~
~~
Old 2007-11-07, 12:02am

Default keys

hey everyone.. i have a quick question... has anyone tried this with boro... also .. when your done with the key.. and if you have your bead on it.. do u toss the whole thing in to the kiln... if so again do u all think the key and bead will hold up at say 1075...

thanks and all of your work is so nice..
thanks annie
Old 2007-11-12, 12:29pm
JulieV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Stupid question again but what do you do with them when your done? Are they just decoration? I think the beautiful but I don't get the whole concept. Can somebody clue me in.

Here's a pic of my purse - and a couple more that I did (sorry, it was an older picture I already had on my computer and I didn't bother to crop out the other beads with the keys.)
Attached Images

Old 2007-11-17, 10:05pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Hi Annie:

I've done several of these keys with boro and threw them in a kiln at 1100 degrees. I've had no problem.
Attached Images

Ebay:
Old 2007-11-20, 2:02am
Entropy increasing....

This key isn't steel. It looked like brass and after it came out of the kiln it looked like copper.

This is the coolest key I have found.

Old 2007-11-20, 2:07am
Entropy increasing....

Some seem to be made of nickel or something. They are usually shinier than the regular ones. You can test them with a magnate. If they stick, they are good. The heavy brass one worked fine. I tested the end of it first to see if it was going to melt and it didn't. There are these long very skinny ones that aren't iron, they look kind of dull gray. I think they might be tin or something.

If they are rusty you can put them in your tumbler a while and it will derust them.
Old 2007-11-20, 7:28am

Hey Kevan
I LOVE your key bead especially the bottom one! When I made this one, it took me HOURS with a fine grit sander to get the key looking like this:
I have a question about making them shiny again...
is there an easier way to do it? thanks again for sharing all your beautiful work!
Hugs
Lynnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Some seem to be made of nickel or something. They are usually shinier than the regular ones. You can test them with a magnate. If they stick, they are good. The heavy brass one worked fine. I tested the end of it first to see if it was going to melt and it didn't. There are these long very skinny ones that aren't iron, they look kind of dull gray. I think they might be tin or something.

If they are rusty you can put them in your tumbler a while and it will derust them.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-11-20, 9:03am
koregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retta View Post
I need to get some keys! Any tips on where to look? I mean besides ebay.
I got some on Etsy, and they offered free shipping, so I bought three auctions worth, got nine keys coming...hopefully they are the ones that will hold up in the flame

Old 2007-11-21, 3:25am
Entropy increasing....

I have bunches, I should put some on Etsy.

Lynnie, have you thought of using a tumbler if you want them all polished up.

I kind of like them rusty myself, but yours is really nice. I have seen those keys selling at a store in Tacoma for $8.50 a piece.
Old 2007-11-21, 6:08am

Yeah, I got a good price on a BUNCH of them all in one lot... I think I paid like $3 each. I don't own a tumbler, is that a large expense? Yeah, I like them shiny, but I have to admit leaving them rustic looking has it's attractions as well!

Thanks Kevan! Hey you know, your bottom key looks just like mine, except mine's shiny, I'll bet it's the same type key. Anyway, I like them both, your beads are always lovely.
Hugs
Lynnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
I have bunches, I should put some on Etsy.

Lynnie, have you thought of using a tumbler if you want them all polished up.

I kind of like them rusty myself, but yours is really nice. I have seen those keys selling at a store in Tacoma for $8.50 a piece.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:

Last edited by danelady; 2007-11-21 at 6:11am.