The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-06-17, 4:46pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2canoe View Post
And one other thing that really chaps me is the lack of a somewhat permanent availability of the colors. I fell in love with Lace Agate and Chocolotta only to come to find out that they are not in production. Gee, I don't remember seeing that they were odd runs before I bought them - maybe I missed the info somewhere. What's the point of investing in a "new" color if you're afraid to use it due to its rather quick and unexpected expiration date? I want to invest in glass that I am pretty sure is going to be around for a reasonable amount of time! I don't mind buying odd lots - if I know that they are odd lots up front. IMO buying into a new color now can be likened to a crapshoot. I guess it might be better for me just to wait around for awhile and see what the life expectancy is before coming to depend on a particular "new" (becoming another term for odd?) color.
About the lace agate (and of course I can't find the thread now) I read where Mike asked them to make it again, they agreed, and when the glass showed up it turned out to be medium fossil.

Maybe some glass batches are errors in production and when we fall in love with those we can't get them anymore because no one knows what the original error was? Maybe it's a case of bad note taking, I know I'm guilty of that - I write down how I did something and three months later I go back and read it and I'm like "what?", lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-17, 7:01pm

Thanks for the tips, Mike, I'll try it out and post results if I can make a real Calico cat.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-06-19, 4:55pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Well, I'm wishing that I had seen this thread before I bought Calico.
I love EDP and I probably still would have bought some Calico, but not 2 pounds of it. It would have been nice to know that it devitrifies even worse than EDP, IMO, AND that it was shocky.

It's getting really old buying these new and/or odd colors going by the bead or paddle listed on the vendors website only to get it and have it look nothing like the pictures they have up.

Lizard doesn't look like the picture shown either. I'm glad I only got 1/4 pound of that.

And as for the calico, my 2 pounds is most likely going to end up in the pile of other shocky glass that isn't worth messing with.

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2010-06-20, 4:33pm

Ah, Deb, just hold onto it until someone else comes up with the magic to use it well, and then trade it to them for more EDP which YOU use so well, lol! <3

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-06-20, 4:35pm

I tried Mike's tips, but it doesn't seem to cut it for my sculptural beads... Pure heat is all that keeps things from devitrifying for me, and the in and out of the flame I need, well, all it did was reduce AND devit, which is like dividing by the zero of ugliness...

Guess I may have to break down and *gulp* make a set of rounds to use some of it up...

~:
~:

~:

Old 2010-06-20, 4:58pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I use a reducing flame with EDP after getting that tip from Trey Cornette and have had a lot of luck with it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-06-20, 5:15pm

I use the all over heating before parking in the kiln which works fine for EDP but that devitting makes it unusable for raised decoration or sculptural work.
I don't think Moretti is too concerned with lampworkers and we are prob. not their primary market.

As far as oddlots not being reproducable, I suspect they are merely recipes gone astray for some chemical/scheduling problem. They don't set out to make these oddlots and therefore can't have a 'receipe' for them. Either that or they are still an amateur operation as far as production and quality control after all these years.

Vetrofond hasn't got an EDP has it?

We are being dumped on but some really good stuff comes out occasionally. e.g. river rock etc. Some of it seems to be stuff that was stuck to the bottom and they made something else of top and mixed the two sediments together, pulled it and called it oddlot.
Old 2010-06-20, 5:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I use a reducing flame with EDP after getting that tip from Trey Cornette and have had a lot of luck with it.
I haven't tried with EDP yet... Have you done any sculptural with the reducing anti-devitrifying cure?

~:
~:

~:

Old 2010-06-20, 5:28pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
I haven't tried with EDP yet... Have you done any sculptural with the reducing anti-devitrifying cure?
No, I haven't tried that - I don't do much/any sculptural - but was amazed at how well it worked.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-06-20, 5:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
No, I haven't tried that - I don't do much/any sculptural - but was amazed at how well it worked.
It did well until I had to pull it out of the flame to cool enough to add the cat's head - when I reintroduced, it devited again and since I can't super-heat once smaller features are added... Plus it reduced... Maybe I'll revisit the glass when I have a better skill level.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2010-06-20, 5:35pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I did some rounds today that are sitting in the kiln. I think on one I was able to get rid of the devit successfully and it looked like I reduced the other two. I'll see in the morning. It's not like I don't need to learn how to do this, but still....

Old 2010-06-21, 7:23am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Ok, SO not showing what came out of the kiln, blech. To be totally honest I couldn't show them now if I wanted to because I threw a bit of a fit and hurled them into the back of my truck still on the mandrels with all the other junk going to the dump today. It was very satisfying - I'm blaming menopause. I am done with this calico glass for now. All three of the rounds I did reduced. I know I should go back in for another test batch, do the final heating, hit it with the graphite and leave the flame alone now as this glass loves to devit AND reduce. When I was working with it I did a final heating in a neutral flame and used the graphite to cool it and while it removed most of the devit I could see small areas where there still was devit so I changed to a propy rich flame and went over them again. Idiot. Some day I will learn to leave well enough alone.

I need a break.

Last edited by alb6094; 2010-06-21 at 7:25am.
Old 2010-06-21, 7:37am
Tweedle Dumb

How frustrating! Could you try to etch them if they are reducing? I know that just really shouldn't be necessary, but might be worth a try. Then it would eat off the reduction haze and hopefully disguise any devit that is still there.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-06-21, 2:35pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Thanks for the tip Jamie. Whenever I pick this stuff back up I'll try that. I've printed out all the tips (I'll add this) and put the sheet around the glass and rubber banded it all up together so I don't forget everything along with my own notes.

This Friday my shed will finally get built in the backyard and after that it will be all the moving of the studio so hopefully by the time all that is over I'll be ready to wade back in.

Old 2010-06-30, 12:15am
Old Time Bead Maker

Hi everyone...
This is the "Sue Stewart" that told Patty Frantz the working tips for EDP and other evil glass that devits.
You don't necessarily want to use a reduction flame...just a hint of extra propane does the trick. Just a little yellow candle tip on your blue flame.
I did some Calico beads last week and they were just as smooth and shiny as a....well....use your imagination...
Good luck.

Sue

This us as close to a web site as I want to get at the moment...
Old 2010-07-10, 8:39am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneauBrat View Post
Hi everyone...
This is the "Sue Stewart" that told Patty Frantz the working tips for EDP and other evil glass that devits.
You don't necessarily want to use a reduction flame...just a hint of extra propane does the trick. Just a little yellow candle tip on your blue flame.
I did some Calico beads last week and they were just as smooth and shiny as a....well....use your imagination...
Good luck.

Sue
I just saw this Sue, thank you! I haven't been able to torch lately, life got in the way but I'm going out to the bench today. I'll wade in with this glass again and see what I can do now that I've had a break from it.

Old 2010-07-10, 9:53am
Formerly FishBulb

Geez, I really like that Calico in this thread, devit included. I would try etching it.

The only thing that would make me reluctant to try it is the shockiness. This is why I have put aside my CIM Dreamsicle and my Moretti Uranium Yellow -- they're frit on a stick.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-07-11, 12:21am
Old Time Bead Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
Geez, I really like that Calico in this thread, devit included. I would try etching it.

The only thing that would make me reluctant to try it is the shockiness. This is why I have put aside my CIM Dreamsicle and my Moretti Uranium Yellow -- they're frit on a stick.
Hi Angie...
Do you have a kiln/annealer that you can preheat your rods in? In the old days... before kilns were invented..., I used a piece of sheet steel (10-12 inch square) and laid that on an electric hot plate and then placed my rods on that to preheat them. I never got spitting white or pink or any other color again. Just leave 4-6 inches hanging off the edge so you have a cool place to grab onto.
Maybe that will help.

Byeeeee
Sue

This us as close to a web site as I want to get at the moment...
Old 2010-07-11, 5:32am
sunscreen me baby

I use a salon style curling iron heater. It doubles as a hand warmer in the Winter, lol. But seriously, it makes using glass like honey crunch a lot more fun.

~

Old 2010-07-11, 6:55am
Present tense

I made a bead with Calico recently, and that rod was horribly shocky. Ugh. The bead didn't look too bad though. It was a fat pressed lentil, so it had a lot of heat and reworking, and that got the reactions going nicely. Unfortunately, one of the ends chipped when I took it off the mandrel, so I slumped it into a cab, and I think it turned out really awesome.

However, the rod shockiness (and the expense of the glass on top of the shocky hassle) makes me not want to play with it again.

|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2010-07-12, 11:58am

I didn't read the whole thread but in regards to deviting. I read somewhere (sorry whoever wrote it) that you can solve devitrifying problems by turning up the propane on your torch. I've used this on EDP and Sedona and it worked for me....give it a try. Hope this helps.
Old 2011-01-02, 9:13pm

This is what happens when it's sliced into murrini, applies, heated until glowing, and removed from the flame. It looks like a giraffe print...
Attached Images

~:
~:

~:

Old 2011-01-02, 9:50pm
Burning Fingers!

Oh Nikki - I really like that! I haven't purchased any of the calico, but might have to now that I see your bhb.

/
/
/

Old 2011-01-02, 10:01pm

I'm glad you like, thanks!

~:
~:

~:

Old 2011-01-02, 10:05pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

What a smart idea Nikki, I would never have thought of that! Really pretty bead too, I love the results.

Old 2011-01-03, 1:09pm

Yummy bead. May have to try it now.
Old 2011-02-17, 5:34pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I just got some Calico and I'm having all the same issue. I think it is EDP because when I pulled stringer with it it actually separated in parts, the brown and clear opened canals and it looks like EDP in the ravine! It's shocking all over the place and acting really weird, but I, too love a challenge so we'll see what comes out of the kiln later.
I haven't, yet, on my HH figured out how to get the chalky look to go away, I have tried heating to glowing and putting in kiln but still chalk. I just accept it now

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-02-23, 12:57pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Hi irjc!

I saw that you posted here and decided it was time I pulled the calico back out and gave it another shot. I'm actually having some success which shocked me. The arrow in the photo points to one bead that is really strange. One half is ivory and EDP (the purple leaves no doubt in my mind although what the ivory color is I haven't a clue - I'd like to get some of that by itself on a rod though, it looks interesting) and the other half is mixed chocolates. I know how I did it too.

The rod shocked and about 1/2" fell off onto the table. I'm cheap so I just took the mandrel down to the broken off bit, glommed (is that a word? lol) it back onto the bead, rounded it up and cooked the outside. I ended up with a half in half bead. I think I'm going to cut off some short bits and try to do that again intentionally because I like it.

When I say 'cook' what I do is shape the bead, take it out to the cooler end of the flame, take my time and let it get glowing hot, then pull it immediately out of the flame and to a cool area behind the torch, admire it, and stick it in the kiln. I make sure to heat everywhere including the ends. I'm not having the devit problems I was with this process. I found that if I have the bead too close to the torch head when I'm heating it up (faster) I get pits because at least one of the glasses likes to boil. Also, if you'll heat the glass up until it's clear and look at it you'll see tons of little seed bubbles, or at least I do. My guess is that's what's causing the shockiness. Preheat it really well, I leave it on my coffee cup warmer for 30 minutes before I even try to work with it and it still shocks on me from time to time. If that happens take that bead and glom that extra on , it's better than wasting it!

It's just trial and error and lots of good help on here (thanks Nikki!). You'll get it too.

Old 2011-02-24, 3:00pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Hi Astrid that's so cute.

I tried yesterday, heating at the top of the flame, slow and steady. I didn't get devit. I only did 2 little test beads, a round spacer type and more of a barrel. I didn't work it, I just wanted to see how it responded and it was good.
I'd like to hear if my fellow HH peeps have been able to control calico and how....I thought of turning down the HH flame really low or maybe when the gas in running low?
Please remember that I am coming up on about 50 hours of torch time so I am still in the 'enfant' stage. What may be a "Duh" to you may be a revelation to me.
I so appreciate this forum, thank you everyone. I also love seeing how you all help each other.
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-02-24, 6:02pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

No problem Rowyn, I remember the 'enfant' stage. In fact with some aspects I'm still there!

I wish I could help you with the hothead but I only spent about 3 months on mine. I was just too impatient.

Anything else I can help you with or clarify just give me a holler.

I think this weekend I'm going to cut some of my calico up into murrini like Nikki suggested and see what I get. It would be nice to make some beads with this glass I can actually sell or use in jewelry.