No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-11-16, 10:18pm
Lampworkaholic!

Default Diamond Clear. Yes, again.

I just got my Frantz order with the Diamond Clear that was on sale a couple of weeks back. The rods look pristine but I made some test beads tonight and it scums unbelieveably. I made a simple encased bead (104 black, 104 frit and DC) and some spacers. I tried a neutral flame, a high oxy flame, a slight reduction flame and it was all the same.

Just to be certain it wasn't user error, flame chemistry, etc., I made some more spacers with a rod of DC from an earlier batch. Major difference. You can even see it in the burn. The original glows bright pink in the flame, the new stuff glows a much paler pink. The spacers from the new batch may as well be seeded tube.

I know Mike stands behind his products and I'm sure he will replace it or refund my money but I hate having to ask for that. 3.5 lbs though, can't just use it as a cheap base glass. What a headache! And it still leaves me without a supply of the beautiful DC I knew and loved (OK maybe I'm a bit dramatic).

I'm just wondering if others have had this particular scumming problem.

Liz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-11-16, 10:44pm
Flaming Redhead!

Of the glass that was replaced for me...and I ordered 5 more lbs...so far I've probably gone through a couple lbs and only one rod had a scumming/bubbling issue. I suspect it was my fault though, as I tend to work really hot. How hot? I've managed to burn through a 1/4" mandrel..*sigh*

And my replacement glass came from Northstar direct...not sure if that made a difference or not...just saying...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2009-11-17, 8:18am
Lampworkaholic!

My rods look crystal clear, the scumming happened when I melted a rod. I actually requested 4-6 mm rods, which work better for the beads I make.

My cased bead had no eveidence of cracking this morning. I haven't removed it from the mandrel yet.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-11-17, 9:36pm
Lampworkaholic!

Need I say more?

Old 2009-11-17, 9:52pm
And silence is golden

I couldn't get that to happen if I tried baking soda! Great bubbles! Being snarky here, can you tell. I think perhaps the scum might show better on a lighter background.
Old 2009-11-17, 11:08pm

A picture speaks a thousand words

Old 2009-11-17, 11:57pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Pretty cool effect ... if that's what you wanted to achieve in the first place.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-11-18, 9:52am
Lampworkaholic!

It's a little too pricey to be cool and when you encase with it, it just looks cloudy.

I certainly don't need 3.5 lbs. of it. I have seeded tube for when I want the bubble thing.

Old 2009-11-18, 10:35am

I know, this is really annoying.
(I didn't mean that seriously, I was just trying to be sarcastic)

I've lost 2 big sets in spring and now again 2 sets because the DC was cracking. I'm very disappointed, but you know what? I don't even write in the "DC cracking thread" anymore because I don't want to get flamed by 20 people saying "I never had any problems with DC".
So be it - good for them! But there are enough other people that do have problems. And they're certainly not lying - and believe me, it's not my kiln or me taking too long to put the finished bead into the kiln.
Because guess what? I made the same sets since then twice with other clears (plus a couple of focals with the same glass combination) and the same kiln settings and they're not breaking. Still want to blame my odd-lots? Or my skills?
Rant over.

Sorry erose - didn't want to hijack your thread for my problems with DC.
This glass is just too expensive - it should be first quality and not delivering such a bubble-fest.
I would suggest to contact Mike Frantz - he's normally pretty good with replacing glass and maybe you can try to talk with him so you get some DC from the older batch?

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-11-18, 11:27am
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post

Need I say more?

WOW!!!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-11-18, 3:35pm

I spoke to mike today and we are working on the issues. Judith if you are having problems please speak up we need to know. When these problems come up we look into many things NOT JUST THE CLEAR. Glass is a tough thing to make perfect and we do our best to offer a great product. I have spent over 200 hours talking and researching these type of problems. We have spent over $10,000 just this year alone trying to figure out what is happening. If you are having any problems with cracking or scumming Please send the glass back to me and I will inspect it and let you know what to do next. I will need a copy of your invoice from were you bought it, the DC in question and also the beads that gave you problems and also what colors you used. I hope to reemedy all these problems by the first of the year.
Abe
Old 2009-11-18, 3:52pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Just my 2 cents, I switched to Reichenbach clear. Crystal clean, no scum, no bubbles and no cracking with silverglass.

Of course, it's one batch that I have now that is freakkin good, I'd have to test several batches to be sure it's this good always. But oh boy, it's promising. And I really, totally KILL all my clear glass, burn the life out of it. This glass can have it all...

On topic again, Erose I'm so sorry for you . Glad to see Abe is here and offering to take the glass back!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-11-18, 6:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe from Northstar Glass View Post
I spoke to mike today and we are working on the issues. Judith if you are having problems please speak up we need to know.
Abe, thanks for your post. I've mentioned my recent problems in this thread: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=143321

I am aware that many components are influencing the result, and that it can be the unique combination of colors that I've used. I just think it's too easy (as some LE members did) to simply point to the DoubleHelix odd lots. Yes, maybe they're the problem with this particular bead style when used together with DC, but the same beads don't crack with either TAG, Effetre super clear or Aether encasing.

Abe, thanks for the offer, but I don't need to have the DC replaced - I can use it for other bead styles. I do lots of mica beads, iris gold powder beads and similar. I'll just not use it to encase my silver color beads. And that's a pity, because I love your DC and I do lots of encased silver color beads.

DC and Aether are the only clears that I really enjoy using ... but one I can't use with my silver colors because it's cracking, the other is not available right now. Very frustrating

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-11-20, 11:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice View Post
Wow. You know what? When you post publicly, you are asking for responses to your post. When someone says they have never had a problem with something, they're not "flaming" you, they are responding to you.
Yeap, point taken. Shouldn't have called it "flaming". Sorry.

I guess I'm still feeling hurt about certain responds and pm's back in spring when the same cracking issue happened with another batch of DC.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-11-20, 11:38am

We have a batch that is Not cracking or scummiing at all. Just an FYI. It's been here a while!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-11-20, 11:45am
Will work for glass...

Has anyone thought about maybe the wrong glass was labled as diamond clear on the supplier's side? Not bashing anyone, just wondering--mostly because it seems that other people have bought DC from different suppliers and didn't have the same problem. I have a hard time believing that one company bought up ALL of the DC from a single batch. Again, not bashing the supplier, but this glass IS clear glass, which makes it virtually indistinguishable from just about every other clear glass from Boro to plain ole' Moretti. Just a thought.
Old 2009-11-21, 4:31am
He can do the origami

2kids, I agree that just about anything is possible with companies trying to keep up with demand etc. With labeling it is easy to make mistakes. However DC has a couple of pretty unique characteristics that can distinguish it fairly easily from other clears. One major characteristic is the burn off flare you get in the flame from DC, there is a VERY distinct flare color that no other clear produces.

With the exception of one batch, I am one of the people that have not had issues with Abe's clear. I have tried it on several different torches and several applications with the exception of encasing a few specific silvered glasses and I personally like DC.

I have however seen several beads where DC was used that had either scumming or cracking issues. My GUESS........ and it is only a guess is that the issues lies somewhere in between Abe, the distributors and us as lamp workers. Abe is working on the issue and I think keeping the discussion ongoing amongst ourselves and doing our practical, hands on real world research is important in hopefully solving the issues and maybe..... just maybe.... dare I even dream it.... a good soft glass clear that will actually satisfy us.

For those who have taken my classes and I have talked "clear talk" with I am not going back on my word yet, I am still not really endorsing any specific clear. We have a lot to choose from and as always my recommendation will be until the heavens part and there is a choir of angels proclaiming a a true miracle clear in soft glass....DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH and go with what works for you.

Otter
Old 2009-11-21, 5:37am

Elizabeth, Sorry for your problems, but could I ask a question, please? Did you try several rods from the one batch from Frantz or just one? Did they all bubble like that?

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-11-21, 6:39am
Present tense

Uh oh. I had bad DC 2-3 years ago, but later got a good batch and it's great glass. I ordered when it was on sale at Frantz recently and I'm still having them hold orders so don't have it yet, but my fingers are crossed it'll be fine. Abe, you're awesome, and I will drop you a line with the pertinents if I run into any snags with this batch.

|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2009-11-21, 11:12pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Elizabeth, Sorry for your problems, but could I ask a question, please? Did you try several rods from the one batch from Frantz or just one? Did they all bubble like that?
I tried several rods. I tried upping the oxy. I tried upping the gas. I tried working farther out, closer in, etc.

Even the burn on these rods is different. Instead of the hot pink flare, this batch has a sort of yellowish salmon pink flare.

Abe told me on the phone that their supplier of Feldspar had gone out of business and they had some trouble finding the same quality but thought they had found it and had done a lot of testing.

The rods look perfect, that is the odd part, no seed bubbles, just clear clean glass. Until you melt it.

My glass is on it's way to Oregon to be tested at the source.

I look forward to a cure being found.

Old 2009-11-21, 11:28pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
We have a batch that is Not cracking or scummiing at all. Just an FYI. It's been here a while!
Paula
Don't be telling people that! They will buy it all up before I can order more!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-11-21, 11:29pm

Interest about the Feldspar. The Chinese have been controlling the market of rare earths which include the chemicals that we use for glass. This is going to get much worse because most of those mines are in China and they are keeping the rare earths for themselves.

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-11-21, 11:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
Don't be telling people that! They will buy it all up before I can order more!
Don't worry. I still have plenty!

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-11-22, 5:28am

Thanks, Elizabeth. I thought perhaps as someone mentioned it could have been mis-labeled as I have done in my own studio with glass, but Abe seems to have a good idea and a batch can definitely be affected by the purity of ingredients. I'm sure they will figure it out. It's amazing how a rod could look so perfect and then fizz away like that.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-11-22, 8:31am
Lampworkaholic!

Pam - Abe told me to keep a few rods to play with. Pm me your address and I'll send you one. Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Thanks, Elizabeth. I thought perhaps as someone mentioned it could have been mis-labeled as I have done in my own studio with glass, but Abe seems to have a good idea and a batch can definitely be affected by the purity of ingredients. I'm sure they will figure it out. It's amazing how a rod could look so perfect and then fizz away like that.

Old 2009-11-22, 8:42am

Thank you, Elizabeth. That's really nice of you. Unfortunately, I am studio-less right now and probably won't have it back up and running until the first of the year. I do, though, really thank you for your offer. (By the way, the studio is still there, but buried under displaced kitchen paraphenalia. Kitchen remodel under way!)

My Blog
Old 2009-11-22, 7:12pm
Lampworkaholic!

Oh not really nice of me, since the glass scums, but I would have liked to have your impressions and see if you could make it play nice. Hope you get back up and running soon.