Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-19, 10:58am

Red face Question on tutorials and selling beads

So, if I buy a tutorial and make beads from it, is it PC to sell the beads? Obviously I am not copying the tutorials 100%, for one my skill is not there, and two I put my own spin on things. If this question is tacky, I apologize but I would rather ask than do something that is considered rude.
Old 2011-07-19, 11:19am
Who me?

If you buy a Vogue pattern or instructions to crochet a scarf, would you feel comfortable selling the finished product...heck yes, I would. Where's the difference?

The difference is that we have an on line relationship with most of the tutorial writers and that tends to make one feel guilty.

Have you sold any beads from Corina's Passing the Flame? She wrote it knowing that she was sharing her knowledge with the world...and to my knowledge all she ever asked was that you grow from her sharing.

I've taken classes, glass, fabric, painting...do I feel okay selling the things I learn in classes? Yes. What is the point of learning if you are not going to profit from it?
Old 2011-07-19, 11:20am

That is a wonderful way to look at it! Thanks.
Old 2011-07-19, 11:23am
Storm Queen

I think most of us are totally cool with selling beads made from a tutorial. You should find some kind of wording in the tutorial about it. Mine basically says go for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-07-19, 11:23am
Who me?

Bran, others may feel differently than I do.
Old 2011-07-19, 12:44pm

Amy, I will check with the person that created the tutorial. Thanks.
Linda, yeah I am starting to realize how many different opinions there are amongst lampworkers.
Old 2011-07-19, 1:16pm

Bran, As a tutorial writer, I include in my tutorial full permission to sell any bead the reader makes as a result of my tutorial. My philosophy is that if you don't want anyone to copy your work, you shouldn't profit by showing others how to make that bead. An artist can't have it both ways...pay me for my secrets, but don't make the bead to sell.

That said, I think most beadmakers will want to put their own spin on any bead they learn from a tutorial so it reflects them more than the original maker. It just makes sense to try and develop that bead into your own by tweaking it a bit.

I'm glad you asked this question and hop you get more people responding. It's a great topic.

Old 2011-07-19, 1:18pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I use the tutorials as a jumping off place. I learn the techniques and then, as you say, put my own spin on it. It's all about the learning process for me.
Old 2011-07-19, 2:44pm
da General

As mentioned by so many already - most tutorial authors are cool with your making the exact replica of the tutorial beads and selling them. Personally, however, I'll not sell exact copies but use the tutorial as a spring board for coming up with my own work.

For example, I made this from Suzanne's awesome Intricate Candy Bead tutorial but will never sell this bead - it will be in my own collection of practice beads:

I will not hesitate selling these, however:

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-07-19, 2:55pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
As mentioned by so many already - most tutorial authors are cool with your making the exact replica of the tutorial beads and selling them. Personally, however, I'll not sell exact copies but use the tutorial as a spring board for coming up with my own work.

For example, I made this from Suzanne's awesome Intricate Candy Bead tutorial but will never sell this bead - it will be in my own collection of practice beads:

I will not hesitate selling these, however:

So just where are you selling those beauties Hayley?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-07-19, 3:03pm
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Woodall View Post
Bran, As a tutorial writer, I include in my tutorial full permission to sell any bead the reader makes as a result of my tutorial. My philosophy is that if you don't want anyone to copy your work, you shouldn't profit by showing others how to make that bead. An artist can't have it both ways...pay me for my secrets, but don't make the bead to sell.

That said, I think most beadmakers will want to put their own spin on any bead they learn from a tutorial so it reflects them more than the original maker. It just makes sense to try and develop that bead into your own by tweaking it a bit.

I'm glad you asked this question and hop you get more people responding. It's a great topic.
Diane, you are a gentle lady and a wordsmith.
Old 2011-07-19, 3:20pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
So just where are you selling those beauties Hayley?
At the Gathering next week, Liz! . . .and thank you!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-07-19, 3:58pm
Mary Lockwood

I put right on the tutorials page of my site, and I'm pretty sure in each tutorial (though I might have missed it) that I don't hold sway over beads made from my tutorials. You made it---you can do what you want with it.

Can't speak for anyone else, but that's how I feel about it.

Old 2011-07-19, 4:29pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
At the Gathering next week, Liz! . . .and thank you!
Oh man, I am going to miss it this year - aiming for 2012 in Seattle ...

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-07-19, 4:42pm
maybe tomorrow

Anyone forbidding people to sell the beads produced from their tutorial probably shouldn't have written a tutorial to begin with.

That said, I think people will respect you more if you use a tutorial to learn techniques and then work to change things to make the bead "yours".

Old 2011-07-19, 5:11pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Oh man, I am going to miss it this year - aiming for 2012 in Seattle ...
Sorry to miss you in Louisville but will see you next year for sure!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-07-19, 7:27pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Sorry to miss you in Louisville but will see you next year for sure!
Thanks Hayley! Our plan is to take the train from Chicago through Glacier National Park, then on to Seattle. I can't wait.

Old 2011-07-20, 12:53am
Gimme that silver glass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice View Post
I think that it might depend on the tutorial seller. Personally, I have a clause in my tutorial descriptions that let buyers know that it is totally okay to sell beads that they have made with the aid of my tutorials. As long as people aren't selling or giving away the tutorial itself, I am good. If you're unsure, it's a good idea to ask the tutorial creator.
I second that .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-07-20, 1:17am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Hayley don't be silly girl! You should sell that bead, unless you are too attached to it. If I didn't want people making the exact same candy beads I published in my tutorial, I shouldn't have written that tutorial. It's really cool to see people adding their own mojo to it, but if they don't , that's alright too, sell those beads!

Old 2011-07-20, 2:13am

I think its totally cool to sell beads made from a tutorial and i'm sure everyone that has created a tutorial feels the same way, otherwise what's the point?

By the way your beads are beautiful !

Magma Beads .

Old 2011-07-20, 8:34am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
Hayley don't be silly girl! You should sell that bead, unless you are too attached to it. If I didn't want people making the exact same candy beads I published in my tutorial, I shouldn't have written that tutorial. It's really cool to see people adding their own mojo to it, but if they don't , that's alright too, sell those beads!
Thank you, sweets. I know that but I still feel funny selling the first one that's an exact duplicate (well not exact coz I sure don't have your amazing stringer control! lol!) of the tutorial bead. But that's just me! I know majority of the tutorial authors are totally cool with that (including myself). I just want to thank you for your amazing tutorial - I own gazillion tutorials and yours and Amy's Storm one are the two that have made a difference in my beadmaking journey.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-07-20, 8:43am
Born Facing Left

For my tutorials, my advice to buyers is this:

Make them. Have fun with them...then sell them!
No worries!

(Brief because typed on my iPhone, lol)

Last edited by Sherry; 2011-07-20 at 8:45am.
Old 2011-07-20, 8:45am
Storm Queen

Quote:
I own gazillion tutorials and yours and Amy's Storm one are the two that have made a difference in my beadmaking journey.
What a perfect way to start off my day. Thanks so much Hayley.

Old 2011-07-20, 8:49am
Nikki Haverstock

Bran, I have read several threads on this topic. So far I have 'heard' about these mythical tutorial writers that will get mad if you sell beads but no far I have never seen a post from a writer saying that or any names of tutorial writers that will admit feeling this way. That being said, I am not sure how people feel that aren't willing to post so I am in the same boat as you.
Old 2011-07-20, 8:57am
ManBearPig

If I didn't want someone to duplicate the things in my tutorials, I wouldn't sell them.

My motto is:

Don't worry about people copying you. Worry when they stop.

Old 2011-07-20, 8:58am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Hayley what a sweet thing to say! You totally made me blush!! Thank you