Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-11-04, 6:06pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Default My knobs are wonky!

Hah! You looked. What did you think when you read the title?

But in all seriousness.....for the first time I got around to making some knobs using Zoozii's round knob press. I was totally excited about them until I just took them out of the kiln and realized that they're wonky.

I don't think I run the kiln too hot and really I was afraid that the knob would be too cool going into the kiln so I made sure to keep it nice and warm (but not glowing) before it went in.

I stack on an angle and the knobs noticeably drooped. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening again? I don't want to adjust the kiln temps - I'm already running lower than I would normally 'cuz I'm sure the thing runs a little hot.

Perhaps it's because my interior was white? I encased in one of the odd lot lichen colors. Do you think using white for the base caused droopiness because it's so soft?

I'm going to ramp them up with my next sitting and rework them to see if I can't straighten them out.

Sigh....

-Yee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-11-04, 8:26pm
One of the Booger 7

Obviously no one can answer your question or has any idea how to help you -- but you're right we all looked! And I'm sure that, wonkey or not, your knobs are just fine!

leslie

Old 2007-11-04, 8:59pm
Catnip Pusher

I wanna see your knobs!

Did I say that out loud?

I got a knob kit months ago, and haven't gotten the courage to try it. Seems like a lot of glass - I tend to work small, so it's a bit intimidating! I'd love to see what you did. A pic might help to "diagnose" the drooping issue too!

Aimee
Old 2007-11-04, 9:09pm
Storm Queen

I did one test knob last year...really the top of a wine stopper and it did the same. The base was white and I tried to make sure it was cool enough when I put it in the kiln. I'm pretty sure that the heart of it was still too hot and that's why it slumped. Truly annoying though.

Old 2007-11-04, 11:50pm
More ideas than talent

The only question I would ask, is that if the glass drooped, then it suggests that the kiln is too hot. And if the kiln is too hot in general, then are your beads really annealed (because potentially you're outside the annealing range). Therefore doesn't it make more sense to turn down the kiln and anneal at the lowest possible temperature?

Old 2007-11-05, 7:08am

I'll go check and see if the two in my kiln are wonky. The three I did before aren't. I had them on a rod rest in the very back before. No wait, I didn't these couldn't reach. The first 3 were held in the kiln to loose their glow and set on the fiber blanket on the bottom. The two in there now are on the rack because I moved it forward. I'll be back later today to let you know if mine drooped.
Old 2007-11-05, 8:02am
A True Woofer

I've been making a ton of knobs recently and this has happened to me, too. What I do is I spin the knob in the kiln until the glow disappears - and then even a little while longer. As long as your kiln is not too hot, then this should avoid any droopiness coming from the core being too hot.

Old 2007-11-05, 8:16am

That title sure is an eye catcher

I want to see the knobs too wonky or not.