No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2024-01-02, 10:11pm
J R Hooper

Default Beads

Way back in around 1995 or so, I started out in the glass business making little face beads with a hot head torch, a pot of vermiculite, and a very nervous landlord LOL. I made them for a couple of years until I got my minor burner, went all marbles, and honestly I haven't made a bead since.

For Christmas this year, I gave a good friend of ours a card with a note in it promising to teach her to make glass beads... what have I done?
Anyways, I dug out all my old mandrels and my 30 year old jug of sludge (it is gritty beyond all hope), and I made about five or so of the ugliest beads I think I've ever turned out. Looks like I'm going to be practicing a little.

Before I go trying to teach this youngster though, wanted to know what is the latest greatest bead release going? I'm going to have to get some for sure.
Also do any of you guys have a technique for lining beads without a press, she's not going to be able to afford one, and I don't have one in my studio either.
Wish me luck, I've not taught anyone in a long time and I've not made a decent bead in nearly thirty years. LOL
Old 2024-01-02, 10:15pm
Slogan Challenged...

Welcome to the beady world LOL

Blue sludge (mixed wtih Alice's if you want to stretch it). A few places carry it, pretty good.

as for lining beads, doing it by hand takes a lot of practice, with dapping tools to manually flare the metal core.

Personally if you like the look (which isn't really necessary as I myself sell BHBs with no core) then you can get inserts from somewhere like Devardi and glue them in. That'll get you started.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2024-01-02, 10:34pm
J R Hooper

Blue sludge, is that the 'Dip-n-Go Sludge Ultra'? I googled it and that was the most common response.
I'll look into the inserts for sure, dapping by hand sounds like a bad comedy film lol. I was just thinking back to my first beads and those terrible rough edges they can get until you get the hang of it. Hell, one of the ones I made the other day had a rough one and I supposedly know what I'm doing
Old 2024-01-02, 10:54pm
Slogan Challenged...

yes it is, Dip & Go Sludge ultra, didn't mean to be vague.

https://devardiglass.com/Findings.htm
They have some smaller ones too

You should show us some pics in the gallery All are welcome!

Facebook:

Etsy: