No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-02-02, 2:35pm
Logan's mommy

Default How much did your...

Now that I'm getting a big fat rebate check this year it's time to start finishing the studio. I'll buy my kiln and I'll need a home for everything. I'll be using my garage which is already sheetrocked however it still needs to be taped. I have an opening for exhaust and just need to buy the fan and pipe it over to the workbench which I also have. (The previous homeowner used to build cars so everything is nicely set up right down to a metal covered work bench and 4 skylights).

How much does it cost to finish things off? How much did you spend on your studio? Not lampworking equipment but the actual studio itself? Any advice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-02, 8:21pm
Anyone need some spacers?

TOO MUCH! It was suppose to be a cheap easy project but nothing ever goes as planned. The studio is done now and I am glad I put the money into it. I love to be in there it's so clean and bright.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-05, 2:08pm

do you rent a space or do you have a spare room at home?

Elena
Old 2009-02-05, 2:14pm
picking Job's Tears

to answer AJ's question: nothing (and it shows) - and right now I can't torch when it's dark or when it's raining heavily.

There's a picture in the HiloBeads blog somewhere (http://hilobeads.blogspot.com/) that's a bit out of date but you get the general idea.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-02-05, 5:06pm

Post Depends on how much you can do

Congratulations on your new space and soon to be kiln!
Everything depends on what you want to do.
How handy are you? The web has lots of info on ( DYS) "do it yourself" info on how to mud and tape sand texture etc. the drywall. You can save lots of money if you can do the work.
You have space in the garage correct...Yay!!
Are you going to frame your walls to enclose that terrific workbench?
Need some idea of the size to figure your cost. Need more info
Do you have the time to do it on your own, or someone to help you??
#1. The very first thing I would do is make certain that your ventilation can go where you want it. Yes you are going to need to make a hole or use a window.
#2. Next comes the electric can you use what is there?? You maybe fine with what is there already.....
Estimates are free do your homework, dedicated circuits for the:
Kiln you are going to purchase. 110 or 220 volt??
Oxy concentrator
Exhaust fan
#3 . Ventilation placement and size of hood will determine your fan size, again do your homework. Ask for help here, people are really great.
****All this is relative to how much you are willing/ or have to spend.
Get creative... we used some things from a salvage place, nice windows and a door.
Ask at home improvement centers if something is damaged for a deal.
We got paint and mixed it together, not what I wanted but again you ALWAYS go over your budget.
Caution use your own judgment here... I opened a credit card and got 10 % off my order of siding, drywall, insulation, concrete and lumber. Again ask for help from friends to haul it all home, store it... lol
I/ we built a shed according to building codes here.
Could not have it attached to our house...no insurance etc.
Study the studio section.
Please post photos
Best Wishes, MarieAnn
Old 2009-02-06, 8:51am

AJ

I'm in the process of setting up my studio, now, also (just moved...). I think the biggest - and certainly one of the most critical - expense items you'll have is your ventilation system. I'm building my own ventilation system (two, actually). I have a couple of fans left over from having had my house built: they ran around $200 ea for 1000 cfm. They may be a little oversized, so I'm planning on putting a variable speed control in-line with them. These controls can be $20-$45. Fantech and Vortec have in-line can-fans that look great for typical lampworker ventilation systems, and are easier to incorporate than what I have (attic/gable fan). These attach directly to your ventilation pipe. Squrrel-cage fans are also an excellent choice, and are not difficult to incorporate. For most of the systems folks have discussed in both the Safety and Studio sections of LE, plan on a fan with somewhere between 600 - 900 cfm. I've seen these fans on-line from $150-$200 new, depending on the cfm. You'll need an additional $10-$20 for misc electrical stuff to power the fan (eg junction box, wire nuts, small length of Romex). Folks here on LE have gotten some great deals on both in-line fans and squirrel cage fans on Craigslist for much less, however. Don't waste your time or money on a kitchen fan/vent hood, by the way. By the time you get one with enough oomphf - assuming you even can - it will cost you way more than building something yourself. Most are way underpowered for lampworking.

I would highly recommend you build a barley box style vent hood. If you're not familiar with them, you can find all kinds of examples here on LE and on other forums. Ducting can cost between $15 and $50, depending on how far you need to go from your bench to your outside vent opening and how many elboes your need. The hood itself can be made from a plywood frame lined with sheet metal you can find in your local big-box home improvement store. Galvanized sheets 2' x 3' are about $8-$9. You might need 4 - 6 of these. Depending on the kinds of stores in your area, or what you can find on the internet, you can probably do better than that.

So, if you buy your vent fan new, you can build a good-sized ventilation system for ~$400, better if you can find a deal on the fan and sheet metal. Below is a great link for how to calculate the size fan you need. Other great info can be found here in LE and on the Art Glass Answers website

http://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/ventilation-primer/

Since you already have a bench, other expenses might be to either tile the top or cover it with sheet metal. How much that costs depends on how big your bench is. Next might be additional lights for your work area and a fire extinguisher. A bucket of dry-wall mud and tape to finish off the walls is inexpensive, as is paint. MarieAnn has some great suggestions in her response. You can spend more if you want to fully enclose your space.

She also has some good questions. Your next big expenses will depend on what you mean by 'studio' vs lampworking equipment. If you define and oxycon, propane, hoses, regulators, flashback arrestors, fittings, etc to be part of your lampworking equipment budget, then you're done when you've finished your walls, ventillation, bench, electrical, lighting and other infrastructure. If not, we'd need to know a little more about how you're envisioning this cost division.

Linda
Old 2009-02-06, 6:28pm
Logan's mommy

Wow. I'm overwhelmed. Not by the cost but by .... I don't know. I'm just suddenly overwhelmed. lol. I think I'm going to have hubby read all this because I know there is tons of helpful info. I just need to digest it all.

You guys are awesome. Thank you.

Ok, now I think I had a couple questions to answer:

1) I'll be using my detached 2 car garage that currently sits completely empty except for a workbench and some pieces of furniture I need to paint.

2) Everything is all framed out and the sheetrock is even up on the walls. I even have skylights in place and all framed out. I just need to tape, sand, paint.

3) There is an opening already cut into the bricks of the garage with a metal door that they previous owner has his fan in. It's a huge fan with a very large motor (an exhaust fan) but I have no idea how powerful it is. I'll have to see what I can find written on it.

Did I miss anything?

Old 2009-02-06, 7:27pm

Before you get too far setting up your studio, I'd recommend doing a search on barley box, barley box/fume hood, and fume hood here on LE, WC and ISGB as well as looking through the other websites I recommended. I also recommend cruising through the Safety and Studio forums on LE and WC. It's worthwile to scan through all of the posts, at least, say for 6-8 months if not more for a number of reasons. You'll get an overview of all kinds of good things that to know, as well as get a chance to see pictures folks have posted of their ventilation setups. You'll find that pictures of some of the better set-ups are sometimes embedded as part of other topics. The pictures will help tremendously with getting a visual sense of how to design and set up your ventilation system. Hopefully, you'll feel less overwhelmed after you get a chance to look at other folk's approaches. Be aware, however, that there are a number of designs that, at least in my opinion, are inadequate, poorly considered or outright ineffective, so you'll want to be careful about your final choices.

Good idea to look up the manufacturer and model number of your existing fan. Since you already have one in place, it would naturally be interesting to see if you can use it. Keep in mind that, depending on how big a vent hood system you want, it's possible to have a fan that's too big...or it might let you build a really big vent hood, which can have it's own advantages.

What would help is if you could post a picture of your garage so that we can where this fan is located and also describe where you're planning to place your bench.

I'm guessing that, along the lines of some of MarieAnn's questions, you are counting the hoses, fittings, propane and oxy lines, etc for your torch separately. That said, have you thought about how you are going to bring your gas lines into your garage? I'm sure you know that, regardless of the type of torch you are using, any propane tank larger than the small 1lb cans MUST go outside!! Dale M has a great post on Art Glass Answers on how to bring gas lines in through an exterior wall.

I appologize for the long posts - hope this info is helpful to you.

Linda
Old 2009-02-07, 6:36am
Logan's mommy

Oh no. Don't apologize. You've been so incredibly helpful.

I have my son's birthday party today so I won't be doing much of anything other than entertaining but tomorrow I'll take a picture of the garage. You'll have to excuse the furniture we currently have stored in there. (not to mention the defunct dryer and washing machine we don't know how to get rid of). lol.

Yes, I'll be somehow piping in the propane from outside. I have two large propane tanks already attached to the outside of my house for my oven so I'm trying to figure out a way of tapping into that. I'm not sure I can do that though as it's across the yard from the garage.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:09am

AJ,
It's good that your overwhelmed, really! It is a lot to process, everyone starting out felt that way. You have a wonderful space to start with already,
roof, walls and sheet rock and metal work bench. Heck your half way there!
Oh, lets not forget the Fan. Can you find out from the previous owner what kind it is. Or like Linda suggested get the info off of it.
*****What torch do you have, and how much air do you need to move???
So that being said, Break it down into small steps. Get a dedicated notebook/ folder for all the info you'll gather and use it.
Like Linda's post said study the studios of those that came before you, to get a idea of what you envision you space to be. Check out the link she provided on ventilation. Go check out www.ISGB.org for ideas too.
Please post pictures
MarieAnn
Old 2009-02-07, 5:44pm
Anyone need some spacers?

Looking at other lampworkers photos and reading what the pros have to say was most helpful to me. My studio is in it's own dedicated room in the basement and you can see it in the studo room under the name, my tin bender is a god. Good luck.

Old 2009-02-18, 9:09pm
Salt Box Beads

My studio is around $14,000.00 ( probably more) and counting and that is without a shed or a fancy ventilation system. It is also in a garage but I have to lift up the door and I freeze in the winter and roast in the summer..
Lorraine
Old 2009-02-19, 9:46pm
Flamewoman

We spent $9,000. on my studio. That includes the building, ventilation,workspace/bench , retaining wall for building foundation, airconditioner,heater, everything except the torch,kiln,glass tools, & glass. We did most of the work ourselves, and had a tough shed built that we customized. You can see my finished studio on the third page of studio's its called " My Studio is FINALLY done"

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!