LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-01-31, 12:15pm

Default Question about kiln placement in new studio?

OK-I finally found some old cabinets we had in the garage to use for a torch table and DH will make a countertop. My table will be against 2 windows in a sunroom with a window also directly to my right-which is the corner I had planned to have my kiln in since I"m right handed...
My question is- can my kiln go right there? It's bigger than i remember (been in the attic for awhile and haven't even used it yet!!) JenKen I believe-the octagon looking one. Is there a certain distance it has to be pulled away from windows? Do they get overly hot on the outside? I installed those large pvc plantation blinds-should I pull those up when I have the kiln running?
Sorry lots of questions here-I'm just so excited that I can start to see an end in site! (I'll definately have tons more questions when it's getting set up-lol)
Hopefully pictures will be on here soon...!!!
Amanda
Old 2007-01-31, 12:40pm
Safety ALWAYS

You need a minimum of 6" (and 12" is better) from any flammable materials, including what ever the kiln is going to sit on.

I'd put some tile or concrete backer board under the kiln, then either sheet metal or more tile along the back walls. Keep wood, paper, plastic etc at least 6" away from the kiln body.

Also be sure that you do *NOT* use an extension cord to run the kiln. It should be plugged directly into an outlet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-31, 1:43pm

Thats good advice from Mike.
You should rest the kiln on 4 bricks on their sides.
That way you will have plenty of air cooling space underneath.

Old 2007-01-31, 4:01pm
da General

Make sure that your kiln plugs into a dedicated outlet. More importantly, do a test run first with reject beads since you haven't used it for a while.

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-01-31, 4:16pm
Safety ALWAYS

Good point Hayley, I'd forgotten that.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-02-03, 7:07pm
It's all about art.

If you have room I suggest a utility cart for your kiln. New stainless steel carts with 3 shelves from Home Depot cost around $35 to $45 and if you add wheels you can park it anywhere when you aren't using it.

I have one that I pull up behind me and just spin around to put the beads in. It leaves additional space on the counter top that way. It isn't near a wall when it is in use either.

Old 2007-02-03, 7:45pm

The people I bought the same Jenn ken from told me not to put it on brick that conducts heat. I was told to put it on some sinder blocks with the holes in it so put the holes up toward the bottom of the kiln. Mine does not get that hot. But you do want enough room around it so that nothing burns or melts. I have mine sitting on a formica counter with the blocks under the kiln and the table top does not even get hot.

Old 2007-02-05, 1:02pm

Awesome! Thanks guys!
Yes-I do have a dedicated outlet.

I did see a pic in the studio pics where someone had teh same kiln as me w/ cinder blocks under it so i was planning to do that w/ tiles on the table surface.

Funny thing-we were just at Lowes last night looking at those little metal carts-didn't get one since I'd seen them w/ a butcher block top somewhere?? (maybe at Sam's Club?) thinking that would make a more solid top,then load it up w/ tile,blocks,etc.-that way I COULD pull it put from teh wall,windows,etc...
Only issue is I'd have toput to the left side of my workspace which then blocks my passage out of the room. Not anticipating any fire emergencies (knock on wood) but I guess if it's on wheels I can get past it pretty quick.

That's great to hear that teh formica countertop doesn't even get hot-makes me feel alot better!

Thx again-Amanda
Old 2007-03-26, 6:51pm

I'm finally getting to shop for a kiln. I see several posts where it needs
a plug all by itself and no extension cord. How big is the risk? This will
be a 120V something. With my set up I can't get around the extension
cord but can arrange for it to be the only thing plugged in the wall.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Old 2007-03-26, 8:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble newbie View Post
I'm finally getting to shop for a kiln. I see several posts where it needs
a plug all by itself and no extension cord. How big is the risk? This will
be a 120V something. With my set up I can't get around the extension
cord but can arrange for it to be the only thing plugged in the wall.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
I second that question...
I know that I want a dedicated outlet with it's own circut. However it could take some time to make that happen. At this moment my garage (which is about 25+ feet from my studio) has its own circut for the wall outlets. Is it possible, in the short term, to use an extention cord rated for 15 amp?

I would rather not do this... but... I guess I could set the kiln in the garage and do batch annealing.

TIA
Litsa
Old 2007-03-28, 9:00am
FireDancer Glass

I only have one plug in my garage and have to use one of those heavy duty extension cords that if the power goes out it does not overload the circuits coming back on.

Christy
Old 2007-04-19, 6:08pm

I used a heavy duty extension cord for a while. It worked fine for me, Then I had a electrician come in and installed a single outlet for my kiln and then one for my Oxygen so I could plug those in also. So I had two circuts installed and fished through walls for 300.00 which was not bad at all for the work he did. And for my safety....But you can get away with it for a while.....Dawn