Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-25, 4:04pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofaraw View Post
Love my lentil, pillow, tab, tile, zulu, nugget trios. And that is maybe 1/4 of my presses/rollers. I have a bad addiction. I'd post a picture, but it would only further substantiate that I need help!
What torch do you use? And I know what you mean about being a tool-junkie! I'm still on a Hothead without a kiln because I keep buying "stuff and tools"!
Old 2010-04-25, 4:13pm
The Grand Foobah

I have a bobcat now. I worked on a hothead for the first five years and never had a complaint and then I got a bobcat and my life changed forever!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foofaraw is a style. An attitude. A fresh glimmer of fun. Foofaraw is unique.
Old 2010-04-25, 4:39pm

Kristina, get in the habit of taking a glass of ice water to the shop with you. When your rods get hot from sculpting, stick them in the ice cold water to cool them down....no more sticking. Luna Moonshadow gave me this tip cause I used to get my rake stuck on my beads all the time...it works like a charm. Just don't drink the water
Old 2010-04-25, 4:48pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

VERY funny Holly! I do keep a little bowl of water near my torch for the rake when I drag dots... but I use my rake in the fire so it is toast... maybe when I get a BIG girl torch like JENN!!!

Here's the bracelet I finished today. I will post it on Ebay tomorrow. Would any of you mind telling me what you think I should start it at? $45 or $65 for example?

Old 2010-04-25, 5:03pm

I keep a small bucket of water on hand, it's good for quenching tools and putting burns in instantly.

Folly-I like your bracelet. My only concern about listing it is that some of your dots look like they might have undercuts-which is ok for your use, but the dots may "pop off" at some point in time.

I can't price jewelry worth a darn, lol.
Old 2010-04-25, 5:34pm
The Grand Foobah

Kristina, Who says that having a big girl torch prevents you from raking in the flame??? Do you know how many dental sets I have gone through over the years?

Very nice bracelet, I'm particularly impressed by the multi-dotted round, they are perfectly spaced!

Old 2010-04-25, 5:41pm

The bracelet is beautiful!
Old 2010-04-25, 5:41pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Okay here are a couple more from me.
The light blue beads are the light trans blue I believe. Can't remember what the other blue is lol. Sorry. Encesed in Devardi clear

This is the sky blue I think, might be the turquoise blue and silvered ivory stringer using Devardi ivory and Devardi silver foil.

Lovely beads! Devardi makes an ivory you can pull into silvered ivory stringer?

I love this sky blue and it reminds me of an old Effetre batch from years ago.
Old 2010-04-25, 5:43pm
one day at a time

I'm ordering a rod warmer from their site asap, because I would like to be able to work with the bigger shocky rods. One of those blues is SO pretty, it's an opal "water blue" color.
Old 2010-04-25, 6:18pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you all, and I'll revisit the dots with undercut too!
Old 2010-04-25, 8:22pm

Kristina, I agree with Jenn, how did you get those so perfectly spaced?? What color are the 4 contrasting beads made out of ? Pricing jewelry is tough....do some searches on bracelets, see what comes up. I loved the green bead with cz's....what will you come up with next? Hey are you gonna get the local yokels new homes too ???
Old 2010-04-26, 4:12am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby firefly View Post
Kristina, I agree with Jenn, how did you get those so perfectly spaced?? What color are the 4 contrasting beads made out of ? Pricing jewelry is tough....do some searches on bracelets, see what comes up. I loved the green bead with cz's....what will you come up with next? Hey are you gonna get the local yokels new homes too ???
Thanks Holly! You are to cute... here are the colors of the bracelet beads, and they have the Metallic Black stringer work and dots on them (with black spacer beads between the Bead Caps). I had to have the picture in front of me to look up the colors with, so here it is again:

Opaque Burnt Carrot Orange
Opaque Medium Brown
Opaque Dark Brown

The spacing is done according to my Corina Tettinger book (Passing The Flame) to which I owe what ability I have developed! It's done by putting 4 dots around the center as your framework. Then putting 1 or 2 dots between each. Then (on both sides of the middle row) put a dot in the space that would be between your row of dots (for placement). Clear as mudd?

Those Yokels sure need a good home! I will make some more up once we get to order and they arrive! I may go bigger to avoid frying noses! I'm sure they would appreciate that!
Old 2010-04-26, 7:21am

Does anyone have one of the rod warmers yet? Mine should be here by the end of the week and I'm trying to figure out how much space it will take up on my bench. I'm hoping to use mine for the shocky Vetro odds and Effetre colors like Anise while as well as the Devardi colors, and use the top for warming my murrini.

Old 2010-04-26, 8:40am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I'm sure being a Post-Hog, but I wanted to say that I have a rod warmer and love it to pieces! Its a must with this glass because it gets rid of all the shock and shatter. It takes up maybe 12-18" x 8".

"Likes To Make Glass Stuff" - I wanted to thank you for the heads up on the undercut dots. Sure enough I lost one on a Teddy I made. I will be much more careful in the future to completely seat them!

Here are a few Teddies I made up yesterday - one with the Olive glass someone was asking about, as Camo Bear! The olive works up like smooth butter - very nice!

The Dark Blue is Devardis Blue Goldstone rod. It worked up gorgeous too. I can't wait to order more. And the bright Cranberry color came out brilliant as well. This glass is great for sculpture!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-04-26 at 8:43am.
Old 2010-04-26, 9:14am
Cancer SUCKS!

So is there an official date as to when the glass might be available for sale?

A lurker here!

Old 2010-04-26, 1:26pm
Remember to keep smiling

Default I Won 1s place

"YEAH ME"

I posted this in the newbie section but wanted to share here "made with lots of differen Devardi colors". I won 1st place in the beginners sculpting section at a local glass company called Designer Glass Works. Here are the little guys I entered. "I'm so happy"

Name:  1contest 042210.JPG
Views: 902
Size:  62.5 KB

SRA#P109
Old 2010-04-26, 1:38pm

Paula Contrats!!! They're all adorable...I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite..!

Deb, Natasha and Daniel are making the journey to pick up the glass today...no date on when we can start ordering ....but we're gettin closer..
Old 2010-04-26, 1:52pm

Paula they are too cute! Congrats!
Old 2010-04-26, 2:01pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Paula, you did such a sweet joy of displaying them! Congrats! You deserve 1st Place!

Holly, it's so neat that you keep us updated! I'm counting the days!

Deb, the Devardi website still says the 28th - here's the link to their page with the info:
http://www.devardiglass.com/index.htm

And you can get on their Newsletter too if you like!
Old 2010-04-26, 4:22pm

I think these turned out quite well. The very pale blue makes a great base for frits.

This is just sis and butterscotch or tan. I can't remember!
Old 2010-04-26, 4:39pm

Blong...WHAT color is that blue? It's beautiful, is it opaque or semi opaque, I haven't worked with hardly any of the blue colors, cause I didn't know what to order....
Old 2010-04-26, 5:04pm
The Grand Foobah

Paula, that's awesome, congrats!
Bethany - I agree, great job.

Old 2010-04-26, 5:10pm
Remember to keep smiling

Thank you everyone for the compliments.

Kristine - love the little bears. Ca mo stole my heart

Bethany - love the frit beads I haven't thought about using light blue for a base. Butterscotch is one of my favorite colors especially when I am in the mood to try twisties.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-04-26, 5:30pm

The light blue definitely works with the frit, very nice beads
You are right the olive does look good, I will have to work with it a bit next time i have time to torch.
Here is cranberry and yellow. The white is not Devardi, and the only reason I don't use the Devardi white all the time is that it is a semi opaque and for a lot of the dots that I do, I need a white that is solid, especially if I am putting transparent's on top of them. If I do multiple layers, the semi opaque kind of disappears and ruins the effect I am going for.

Old 2010-04-26, 5:53pm
Remember to keep smiling

Sonja - I love the depthness you achieved with the dots. I like the cranberry going to have to add it to my list. After seeing it on your beads & Kristina bear it doesn't seem to be as dark as I thought it might be.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-04-26, 6:01pm

Thanks Paula. I really like doing dot beads lol so I am playing around with different patterns.
The cranberry is actually quite a bright color. Sometimes it gets that streaky look like the pea green from moretti gets too. (which I happen to love, but if you are making something that you need to be solid you should be aware that does that on occasion.)
Now the burgundy is a really deep reddish maroon, almost black sometimes.

Old 2010-04-27, 7:08am

It is semi opaque violet blue. I defiantly will get more of it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby firefly View Post
Blong...WHAT color is that blue? It's beautiful, is it opaque or semi opaque, I haven't worked with hardly any of the blue colors, cause I didn't know what to order....
Old 2010-04-27, 7:15am

Blong, thanks for sharing, I'll for sure be getting some of that !!

I was just on the devardi website and we can start buying on Friday !! WA-WHOO !!
Old 2010-04-27, 7:40am
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Holy: Thank you for the PM.. Will sit down and PM you this evening...
Can't agree more on the WA HOO the Glass is in....

Wow, I don't look in for a few days, and look at all the wonderful things that are happening...

PaulaP: Supper on the 1st place win... They are just to cute...

Great beads and posts every one..

Houkje
Old 2010-04-27, 7:55am
Hot Glass Neophyte

WONDERFUL work Bethany and Sonja! Lead on!
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi