No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-04, 3:03pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
When you come for that class in September, I am going to make you and Clio best friends
Highly unlikely...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-06-04, 3:46pm

Thank you Diana for the kind words!
Old 2011-06-05, 12:02am

Your welcome! Must be something in that Colorado air that inspires..I believe our *NAOS* is from there
"

Old 2011-06-05, 5:52pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Triton and stormed Elektra. Some encased in Aether; some encased in Zephyr; some encased in a combination of both.

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-06-05, 7:15pm

so cute and tiny

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-06-05, 7:25pm
Live and Let Live

Here are some of my test beads. Love this glass.

Triton, encased with Aether and ZE-452 (the blue band).

Clio over Straw Yellow, encased with Aether (left) and ZE-452 (right).

"Fire Opal" technique encased in Aether (left) and ZE-452 (right)

Old 2011-06-06, 3:11am

Lisa,beautiful beads!
Obviously there is a need for both,right? Depending on which glass you are using.I much prefer the Clio with Aether than the new glass.Yet on other glasses Zephyr wins hands down.
"

Old 2011-06-06, 3:40am
Knob Creek Glass

I vote for having both!
Old 2011-06-06, 9:53am
They see me rollin'...

I'm kind of confused (as usual), but were we supposed to get a survey in our email? I got my ZE-452, but didn't get a survey. Or is it on the website? Help!

Thanks,
-Patti

-Patti
Old 2011-06-06, 10:03am
Rose colored glasses…√

Website.

Old 2011-06-06, 10:03am
They see me rollin'...

Never mind! I found the email, now to find my invoice....hehe oops

-Patti
Old 2011-06-06, 6:15pm
Live and Let Live

So, has anyone who filled out a survey received their discount code yet? I submitted mine a couple days ago and haven't seen an email back yet.

Old 2011-06-06, 7:58pm

I did give a lot of info in the survey..did anyone write a review after? I hope it was ok not to.Just did my survey..was obscure finding it..but looking for ZE-452 in a search brought up the survey option.
"

Old 2011-06-07, 3:36pm

I couldn't fill mine out by the deadline as I only just received the glass on deadline day.

Hopefully I can still get the discount if given enough time to try this glass.

NOT FAIR!

I've been trying it today. So far I don't see anything different or spectacular about it that is any different then Aether but then again I haven't given it a fair chance yet.

Old 2011-06-07, 4:29pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Try Zepher with Gaia...it's a whole new universe for me.... i know I should post pics...every time i go into the studio to take pictures i think...wait, let me try a few more...then six hours later I realize its too late and I need to go to bed. I am watching and waiting for DH to make more. Does anyone know when it goes up for sale again?
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-06-07, 5:33pm

Soon I hope .. I need to get some of this to take with me when I move!

Old 2011-06-07, 11:14pm
I need more boro stuff

Here's my result on Kalypso with Zephyr and Aether. Far right beads on each row are heavily reduced. The bubbles are mostly user error

Old 2011-06-08, 5:25am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
So, has anyone who filled out a survey received their discount code yet? I submitted mine a couple days ago and haven't seen an email back yet.
I submitted mine, I believe, last Monday, after playing with it over the weekend, and haven't gotten an email back yet. I'm not worried though. I figured the discount code would be a mass emailing back to everyone who submitted a survey, after the deadline.

Old 2011-06-08, 6:02am

Uuugggghhh, I hate to even be the one to mention this, butttt..... I'm not saying that it is the DH clear for sure yet, but for some reason about 90% of my beads I made with Zephyr have nice big cracks in them. I thought everything was going great, and then I picked some back up to admire....all most all had cracks. They were all made using silver glass. A couple of the beads were my water florals that I make all of the time and have never cracked before. Is this happening to anybody else at all?

Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2011-06-08, 6:28am

I have some cracks but I put it down to using Clio directly on top of Clockwork. My cracks seem to be down in that part of the bead, not in the encasement.
Old 2011-06-08, 6:53am
I need more boro stuff

Oh no!

Which batch # do you have?

Old 2011-06-08, 6:54am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Uuugggghhh, I hate to even be the one to mention this, butttt..... I'm not saying that it is the DH clear for sure yet, but for some reason about 90% of my beads I made with Zephyr have nice big cracks in them. I thought everything was going great, and then I picked some back up to admire....all most all had cracks. They were all made using silver glass. A couple of the beads were my water florals that I make all of the time and have never cracked before. Is this happening to anybody else at all?

Jeannie
I'll look at mine when I get home. Most of my beads are kinda' small, so if there is an ever so slight COE variation, it may not affect my beads the way it affects larger beads.

Old 2011-06-08, 7:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubnavnania View Post
Oh no!

Which batch # do you have?
I have 5-11-11-3, but I do think I read that Clio directly on Clockwork would crack. [Of course, I read that AFTER I made the bead.]
Old 2011-06-08, 8:05am
Live and Let Live

I made 2 beads with Clio directly on Clockwork, one encased in Aether and the other encased in ZE-452/Zephyr. Neither are showing cracks and are about a week old. I had the 5.11.11-3 batch too.

Old 2011-06-08, 8:28am

My batch is 5.11.11-1. All of the beads were made using a 1 1/4 inch lentil press, so I'm not sure if that is considered a medium or a large bead? I am making the exact same beads with Moretti super clear today. I will see what happens and let you know.

Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2011-06-08, 8:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
My batch is 5.11.11-1. All of the beads were made using a 1 1/4 inch lentil press, so I'm not sure if that is considered a medium or a large bead? I am making the exact same beads with Moretti super clear today. I will see what happens and let you know.

Jeannie
Can you post pictures of the cracking?
Old 2011-06-08, 9:12am

I have not read through this whole thread but I have a question about the clear. Has anyone made a completely clear ball with this glass? I find that when any clear is used over a pattern or color, it's hard to tell exactly how clear it is. I would love to see a clear ball or small marble. That's when you really see if clear is truly clear. Wish I had some to try this with.

Old 2011-06-08, 9:45am

I am trying to post some pictures through the LE image uploader, but even when I have them at 480 pixels, it says the KB is too big. I usually post my pics to my photobucket and then post them here, but I really would prefer not to post a bunch of cracked beads on there.

Jeannie

Old 2011-06-08, 9:54am
Rose colored glasses…√

Did you try "manage attachments" instead of uploading? That seems to allow slightly larger pictures.

Old 2011-06-08, 10:05am

Ok, I got this picture thing figured out. I took pictures of a few of the beads that cracked. Now like I said before, I'm not sure what the cause is, I'm doing more tests today. I did a silly photo shop line to show you where the cracks are because it is very hard to see in the pictures. Excuse the bead pictures, they are just fast and dirty examples.

First picture- This is a water floral that I do a lot of and have never cracked before. The crack is off to the side of the black core and then shoots off at an angle.

Second bead-This bead has a crack that does not extended to the ends of the bead where just the black is.

Third bead-This bead also has a crack over the silver glass but does not extend out over the black on the ends.

Fourth bead- Now, I did three of these beads exactly the same way that day. I have made this bead before and the cracks did not happen. All three of the beads are cracked. This line goes straight down the middle and extends to the ends. The bead was made using Rubino Oro.

I was very careful with all of these beads to flame anneal them and heat them up to a nice glowing before they went into the kiln. I am very frustrated and confused. At first I thought it might be the CIM tuxedo that was used as a core for my first cracked beads. But then the second day I did the Rubino Oro ones and all three were cracked? Oh, I forgot to mention, when they came out of the kiln some were not cracked. It was after I put them in warm water to clean that I could see all of the cracks

Jeannie