Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-04-18, 8:35am
Pyromaniac

James, your pipes look pretty good, seems like you have the basic ability! If you can't afford a class right now, time to hustle! In the meantime, I'd suggest looking at videos online and/or through smartflix (http://smartflix.com/ )

one comment: that spiral wrap of clear you put on the stems might be a concern, it doesn't look like it's welded on good enough. Typically you want a smooth line with no undercut at the join.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-04-18, 10:28am
Progression in progress

Location: please ask for where i live to send items thank you

Thanks that really helps i tried to melt it down more but the neck kept being a pain im just gonna keep it as a first one ya know lol i made another funky one last night ill post when i get home
Old 2012-04-18, 12:37pm
Pyromaniac

I've made a few pipes. My first one was...umm... pretty bad. Later pipes are better but my mastery of the spoon is still a ways off.

Old 2012-04-18, 3:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lewis View Post
I do wish though i had the money for lessons.
James,

Believe me when I say I've learned a lot more techniques and stuff now that when I used to go to classes. I don't mean my mentor didn't know what he was doing 'cause he's actually been doing it for over ten years and damn he's a PRO!! But from my point of view I've had the chance to experiment on my own and see the outcome and learn from that too. I'm not saying it is easy, 'cause it really isn't (there's a lot of research and reading and pain in the ass) but the satisfaction you get when you are able to create something starting from zero is priceless!!!!

So, you're doing good so far just don't get discouraged when something doesn't turn out the way you would've wanted the first time.
Old 2012-04-18, 3:34pm
Enjoying Life

All GREAT advice!
Once you spend some time with another artist (paid or not), you will probably find others out there that you never knew existed in your area and that are willing to share. You may also find that things you have taught yourself may be of interest to them. In the mean time, practice, practice, practice and have fun.

Oh, learn to "fix it". Many times it is not what we originaly make, but what we can fix that counts.
Some of my greatest creations were broken first.

Another thing I was told is "Always finish it." Even when you think it is time to through it in the water, finish it.
That is what is so great about boro, stick it in the kiln and come back to it or reheat it the next day or week or month.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-04-18, 5:10pm
Pyromaniac

Some more advice:

Dave said two really important things:

1. "Fix It"
&
2. "Always finish it"

SO much truth here. There are times when a piece is unsalvagable, but the fact is you will learn a lot trying to fix it and/or finish it. I used to be a big fan of "water annealing" but now, when something doesn't go the way I want it to, or if something goes wrong, I make something from it no matter how much it hates me for doing so... and like Dave said above, some of my best pieces result. And some of my jankiest. That's life

Some more to add:

We have a little saying at my house when it comes to art, "Someone will love it". Don't get so wrapped up in the craftsmanship aspect of a piece that didn't come out the way you wanted it to. A great example is striking colors. I get pretty annoyed sometimes because colors don't work the way I want them ... and those pieces almost always sell first. It's amazing...It's like they don't even see the technical flaw that drives you up the wall. Because they DON'T. Obviously I'm not talking about pieces that may be dangerously flawed from a user's standpoint... Just don't get too hung up on things that don't have the "look" or shape you were going for. That droopy sherlock may be someone's future favorite pipe... They don't know that you should have bridged it

Old 2012-04-18, 5:26pm
Progression in progress

Thank you everyone. I enjoy the fact all of you are so enthused about encouraging me on my work. I actually have quite a few pieces from when i first started that are worth going over again and some broken ones. Through teaching myself i have figured out how to give pieces depth since i first started in soft and recycled bottles and store baught marbles. I have also found a new why to do a bowel that is odd but makes it so the buyer doesnt need a screen. And i am proud of my work, even if it isnt what i orginally want. Now if only i could get my girlfriend this enthused she just thinks it takes time away from her lol.Name:  2012-04-18_18-56-20_682-1.jpg
Views: 4051
Size:  70.7 KB
One of them is a new piece and the other one was one of my first guess which one
Old 2012-04-18, 5:36pm

I didn't try a lot of color since the clear ones weren't working so well. I must admit that learning how to do them gave me more confidence in trying other sculptural and blown work. Maybe I am blowing too thin. Would adding color make them sturdier?
Old 2012-04-18, 5:44pm
Progression in progress

It can since color takes longer to heat. One thing i notice when blowing is when it feels almost to easy to blow the glass your getting pretty then
Old 2012-04-18, 8:30pm
Enjoying Life

Most colors are stiffer and heat slower than clear especially black. I found good practice is to use frit inside the tube for color. You have to condense and blow it back out several times to get the frit melted in. Working with clear for joints is also good practice because it shows every flaw, you can cover a lot with color. When you start putting several pieces together you are going to want to make sure the thickness is the same on all the joints. Working in clear helps there. This is what I have learned not necessarily mastered.

Chris is absolutely right. You stick out what you think is the ugliest thing you have made and it is usually the first to sell. I spent some time working with a scientific glass worker who said bridges were for pussies. Well I must be a pussy cause I use them all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-04-19, 7:04am
Progression in progress

Now what exactly is a bridge? Ive never heard that term before
Old 2012-04-19, 7:37am
Pyromaniac

Essentially, it's attaching a piece to parts of itself so that it doesn't sag when heat is applied in the middle. You can use it like "scaffolding" which is removed later, or integrated into a piece.

Example:
http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...light=bridging

Pretty much anything you may have a question on is on that forum if it has to do with pipes. And they're going to tell you to UTFSE before you ask any questions (use the f****** search engine) so be warned ... and use it.

Old 2012-04-19, 7:46am
Progression in progress

Ah okay i understand now makes sense. Should be getting some more clear and color today plus my long awaited hot fingers XD
Old 2012-04-19, 10:34am
Pyromaniac

a picture is worth a thousand words, eh?

Old 2012-04-19, 10:44am
Progression in progress

Has anyone used any glow powder or glow rods onto their pieces? I have some coming thought id gi e it a try.
Old 2012-04-19, 3:26pm

I used the rod for some inside work and implosions. Almost everything broke. I was later told told I should have watered it down, but I haven't bought any more. I was recently told that pulling cane from the powder was the way to go. Have you tried any inside work James?

My first pipes were frit. I agree that it's a good way to add stability. Stay away from exotics and anything that sparkles at first.

I kicked this out yesterday.

Old 2012-04-19, 4:04pm

I'm going to try some blow ins this weekend. I'm going up to Austin to do some work with a few guys I know up there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmScmdCNG1k
Old 2012-04-19, 4:11pm

The best one I ever made was a figural woman body on one side, the bowl was in her back. the mouth piece was at the bottom of her legs and the side hole was out of the shoulder. I fumed it. one of my co- workers bought it for her son. Nice mommy.
Old 2012-04-19, 5:02pm

Oh that's all? I used to make ten of those a day.

Ok, I'm lying. That sounds bad ass Queen. Do you garage between steps?
Old 2012-04-19, 5:36pm
Progression in progress

Wow i need to try that looks like it could be really cool
Old 2012-04-20, 11:58am

No I don't garage. unfortunately if I try to turn the kiln on at the same time I have my oxy cons and fan going, I blow a circuit. I am hoping to solve that this summer. Need to rewire the garage and put in a sub panel. Mucho moola.
Old 2012-04-20, 12:48pm
Catchen' the Sun

Queen I had the same problem for a while check to see if there is a different circuit and plug the kiln in there. you might have to move it across the room but it might solve your problem. It did for me.
Sorry don't make pipes but love looking at what you all are doing.
James you'll get there just keep at it.

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2012-04-20, 2:37pm
Progression in progress

You could use a heavy dudty extension cable if you wanted to as well and thank you
Old 2012-04-20, 7:43pm

Quote:
You could use a heavy dudty extension cable if you wanted to as well and thank you
do not use an extension cord with a kiln. it will overheat and be a fire hazard.

talkglass is the pipe mecca...

here is one of mine

Old 2012-04-20, 7:52pm
Pyromaniac

If you were going to put anything on extension cords it should be the oxycons, but you would still need a very heavy duty extension cord if you need to go any distance. You should see the ones we use for our seam-welding robot.

Old 2012-04-21, 12:38pm

That's ill PJ. Nice work.

I hope you get your electrical needs handled as painlessly as possible Queen. I bet most of your cracking issues would be solved if you could garage.

Last night I colabed with Damon Holmes at Glassman Studios in Austin on our first blow in. I'm happy with it and plan on making a bub with this technique today.

Old 2012-04-21, 3:37pm
Progression in progress

Both of those look sick ass all hell. Today i finally grew the bowels to go to a shop and see if they would be interested in buying some they said yes they but they also want some little basic bowels for bongs and the more elaborate ones with the ground joints the boss wasnt there so i left some of work there for him to look over and my number as well just got keep my fingers crossed
Old 2012-04-21, 3:59pm

Good luck.
Old 2012-04-21, 4:16pm
Progression in progress

Ya im just worried about the glass on glass connections
Old 2012-04-21, 6:20pm
Serenity Now!

Quote:
Both of those look sick ass all hell. Today i finally grew the bowels to go to a shop and see if they would be interested in buying some they said yes they but they also want some little basic bowels for bongs and the more elaborate ones with the ground joints the boss wasnt there so i left some of work there for him to look over and my number as well just got keep my fingers crossed
I've gotta say - at first I thought it was a typo, but after you wrote the same thing numerous times...
It's bowls. Not bowels. Big difference. Just sayin'.....
Or balls. Depending on the context.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:

Tags
boro, don't say b*ng omg!, duh, it's in the boro room