Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-11, 7:38pm
geekitude on two wheels

I dont know if I'd use bottles from the trash, since it would be hard to hold and stuff without cutting yourself. As well, it could be a pain to make sure the glass was clean . I used to make beads from window glass tho, and from stained glass scraps from my dad & the local shop. You can make some quite pretty beads with the mottled scraps, just don't mix colors unless you know it's fusable, or you don't mind risking it cracking. Just cut the glass into strips as best you can and be careful of the edges when you use it. If you're really worried about edges, you can melt the edges off in a kiln.

Last edited by scoutycat; 2010-11-11 at 7:41pm.
Old 2010-11-11, 8:30pm
It's about having fun!

This is my favorite thread, you all are very generous to share such great ideas! Thanks so much!
Old 2010-11-13, 9:30am
Always learnin' & yearnin

Quote:
Originally Posted by papimom View Post
I watch the sales at Michael's and Hobby Lobby and buy clear glass bud vases for my stringers. Weighted bottoms don't tip. You can't beat $.50.
Joan
Here is a little known fact about how Hobby Lobby works. They run sales every week, One part of the store is on sale one week and the next part of the store is on sale the next week. So if you see something that is not on sale one week come back the NEXT week and 9 times out of 10 it is or will be discounted!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-11-13, 10:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlite View Post
Here is a little known fact about how Hobby Lobby works. They run sales every week, One part of the store is on sale one week and the next part of the store is on sale the next week. So if you see something that is not on sale one week come back the NEXT week and 9 times out of 10 it is or will be discounted!!
The same holds true for the grocery store. I took a couponing class a while ago and I now never pay more than .50 cents for staple foods like cereal, frozen or box foods. Now if I could only find a way to get discounts on fresh produce life would be good!
Old 2010-11-13, 5:31pm
Duchess of Dichro

I keep an old clean blush brush next to my presses, if a flake of bead release gets in the press a quick flick of the brush and it's a clean press for the next bead

Old 2010-11-15, 3:37pm

LOL!! I do both of these... only I think I am even more frugal than you, lol! I use the conditioner from hotel rooms to shave because I'm into cheap but effective, lol and I also save the chicken bits, the chicken bones, the onion tops, the carrot ends, the squeezed out garlic cloves, trimmed off bacon fat, tomato tops, pan scrapings, etc etc etc and save them in a container in the freezer to make stock with. Lately, I have been adding the brine from whole chickens that get soaked before roasting... and then the leftover bits from the roast chicken... and making that into stock. OMG.... now I'm hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
Go buy the biggest, cheapest bottle of conditioner, I prefer Suave cause I like the way they smell (just not on my hair unless I'm going for the haystack look), and shave your legs with it! It is super cheap, last longer than those shave gel canisters and here's the kicker.... It works BETTER than shave gel, I swear.

All those trimmings from chicken (I trim my chicken breasts CLEAN of all fat and other potentially nasty things, if I bite into a fatty piece I am DONE eating) and make chicken stock with them. Onions and garlic some seasoning... blah blah you know what you like.... Then strain it through a fine strainer, or coffee filter if that is better for you, to get out all of the less than superior chunks of chicken OUT... then you get the good stuff out of it with out wasting. Chuck the nasty bits. Or give em to you doggie or kitty.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-11-15, 4:28pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliedana1 View Post
I keep an old clean blush brush next to my presses, if a flake of bead release gets in the press a quick flick of the brush and it's a clean press for the next bead
I use a small painters brush it was 80 cents!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-11-18, 1:31pm
Fire n Sand Glass Art

I save money by looking for alternatives for products sold by the glass art industry. Know many of us do this all the time. One of my best finds is a glue for glass to glass and glass to metal that works great on glue-on type bails. Instead of using the expensive Triolyse adhesive I use this. I like it that you don't have to mix a 2 part epoxy together. If I remember right the tube cost between $2 - $4 at Menards.

http://www.powerpoxy.com/productDeta...?productID=461

ALL-PURPOSE ADHESIVE
4x Stronger Than Super Glue!
Will Not Bond Skin!
Extended Work Time...Permanent Bond!
ULTRA-CLEAR

FEATURES
Ultra-Clear, Nearly Invisible
Will Not Yellow
Waterproof, Dishwasher Safe
Suitable for Indoor and
Outdoor Applications
Exceptional Resistance to Sunlight,
Moisture and Salt Water

BONDS
All Types of Metals
Most Hard Plastics
Ceramics, Glass ... and more!

Cures and can be handled in about 1 hour, Full cure overnight,
Color: Ultra-Clear, Bond strength 4000 Lbs., Hardness: Rigid,
Waterproof: Yes, Flammable: No, Temp Range: -30F to 180F

Karen

~
~
~
~

Last edited by giapet; 2010-11-18 at 4:38pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2010-11-18, 3:53pm
Nikki Haverstock

I will say that the best glass cleaner around is just vinegar mixed with water. I used apple cider cause I like the smell.

For cleaning I just use bleach and water mixed.
Old 2010-11-22, 12:07am
That which you are given

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
The same holds true for the grocery store. I took a couponing class a while ago and I now never pay more than .50 cents for staple foods like cereal, frozen or box foods. Now if I could only find a way to get discounts on fresh produce life would be good!
In my area the local grocery stores have to throw out any produce that has a date on it on that date. i often go to the stores and look at the produce like bag spinach and if they are going bad the next day i ask them to change the price to reflect the date. If you get to know one of the produce guy/gal they will do it happily. I never pay more than 75 cent for a bag of spinach, then i just flash steam it and freeze it.

this also works with mushroom, anything with a date on it in the produce section. im sure it would apply in the bakery and meat dept but never checked

Last edited by Chemwapuwa; 2010-11-22 at 12:12am.
Old 2010-11-23, 6:54pm

Thanks Louise I'll try that!

Now I hate to harp but as I mentioned before, it's dangerous to use CRT or old TV/monitor glass. Here's a little video I found that helps explain and reminded me of this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW_7i...e_gdata_player
Old 2010-11-24, 8:19am
Peerless Thread Killer

That was an excellent video. Thanks for posting. It should be required viewing in grade schools.

Old 2011-01-01, 8:43pm
Not so 'junior' member

Bump.....I put shorts and left over bits from the bench top in an old coffee grinder (electric kind) to make frit or powder works well for 104, don't try it with Boro Happy New Year
Old 2011-03-10, 8:03am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Really COOL tip of the day, lemme tell ya.

Some of you may have noticed that these printers and the stoopid refill cartridges cost almost the same. It actually became cheaper for me to buy a new printer than get an old one fixed. Sad statement for the environment.

Anyway! If your printer cartridge is running low and leaving streaky pages: take the cartridge out and shake it, then put it back in. I have gotten easily 20 more pages out of mine.
Old 2011-03-10, 8:18am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
Really COOL tip of the day, lemme tell ya.

Some of you may have noticed that these printers and the stoopid refill cartridges cost almost the same. It actually became cheaper for me to buy a new printer than get an old one fixed. Sad statement for the environment.

Anyway! If your printer cartridge is running low and leaving streaky pages: take the cartridge out and shake it, then put it back in. I have gotten easily 20 more pages out of mine.
a lot of Walgreens will refill any cartridge for about 10 bucks, they o black and color! Its great quality. I had them mess it up once, and they re- fill to fix it for free as well.

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-03-10, 5:16pm

I vote for haunting Harbor Freight. You can find many useful "tools" there. Also, I went into a professional welders supply looking for a propane regulator and hoses. They had both. When the salesman said the regulator was $125.00 (gulp) I shook my head and told him that I had found one online at 62.00 plus shipping....he kept going down...down ...down until finally he offered me the regulator at $70.00 saying that I could get his and not have to pay shipping. I walked out of the store with a BEEFY well made regulator, considerably higher grade than what I'd seen on-line for $70.00. Don't forget that welding supply also has safety glasses and welding helmets/face shields etc that can be used if you are a careful shopper.

Anyone want my recipe for homemade Rice A Roni?

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11

Last edited by SerendipityArtGlass; 2011-03-10 at 5:18pm.
Old 2011-03-12, 11:58am
Oinky Oink!

Another not so popular place to look for interesting things is Restore/Habitat For Humanities stores. I am not sure if they are all over US but they always have many interesting stuff you can reuse. Metals, tools, cabinets, pipes... etc...

When I first got started I needed metal sheets to put down on the table and got some metals sheets from there for 50 cents. They were like 15 bucks or more for 1 sheet at HomeDepot. Recycle and Reuse!
-Christy
Old 2011-03-12, 5:04pm

Here is one------ I use 4 to 5 kinds of glass (and recycled glass). To find if 2 kinds of glass work with each other. I pull a stringer using one kind on top of the other on the bottom. (remember NO twisting).
If the stringer is straight I can use the 2 kinds of glass.
If not sorry the bead will break.
Old 2011-03-12, 10:20pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_2 View Post
Here is one------ I use 4 to 5 kinds of glass (and recycled glass). To find if 2 kinds of glass work with each other. I pull a stringer using one kind on top of the other on the bottom. (remember NO twisting).
If the stringer is straight I can use the 2 kinds of glass.
If not sorry the bead will break.
This may not always be fool-proof. Stringer tests may confirm that the COE is relatively close. If you are going to be using so much mystery glass, and combining it, you should at least be looking at your finished piece with a polariscope to see if it is really stable. It could really not be in the long run, and its potentially not safe for our customers, nor fair. I do applaud the use of recycled materials, but would say to stick to one glass at a time this way. There have been many discussions about using recycled glass here.

Generally recycled glass is made is smaller batches(relative term), and is not compatible from one glass to the next, never mind from one bottle to another. There have been problems fusing glass from the same bottle, and 2 bottles with the same batch marks on them. Sometimes yes you get lucky, but the glass is made to hold the imprint under high heat, and there is something i remember about the formula not really being as stable as it should or could be for this reason. There was a really neat video too showing factory bottles being made. WOW is all I had to say. It was amazing. I am happy that you have had success with this, and agree that it is a good thing to play with, and learn about the process. I am skeptical about the strength and durability without a polariscope.

In fact I just recently had a bead break from more than 10 years ago just sitting in my jewelry box. It was from a Heineken bottle, and it was made by the lady who inspired me to make beads. I know it was well made, hell it lasted 10 years, and it was annealed, but one day it just popped sitting in my box. I dont wear it, It is a collectable to me. It occurred to me that if the COE is unknown, how can one properly anneal it??????????

Old 2011-03-13, 6:31am

Default More about Recycled Glass

Glass for bottles and jars is formulated to solidify quickly - as soon as it's pressed in the mold. This can make it difficult to work by hand.

A safer way to mix colors is to use a single piece of glass for the body of the bead/vessel, and then decorate the finished piece with enamels.
Old 2011-03-14, 5:35am
Glass-aholic

Enamels come in different COE's as well. You have to be careful with those too. You are better off just making single glass (like from one glass) beads and sculpting or imprinting on them with stamps and such. Leather stamps work great!

Old 2011-03-19, 2:20pm
אהבה אני ישו

Garage sales are a frugal gal's best friend, too. I found this funky (ok, ugly) cart at at garage sale today. Paid all of $7 for it. It has nice amount of storage - along the side that you can't see, too.

My hubby cut a piece of countertop that we just pulled out of our kitchen while remodeling and attached it to the top. Voila! The beginnings of my jeweler's workbench. Not a fancy one, but I think it will function. All I can say is - yeeeehaw!

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Wishes the hot flashes she has were only the kind that occur at her torch...

Old 2011-04-14, 11:28pm

Default Glass rod storage

Thanks everyone for all the awesome ideas. I am new to lampworking and searched all over online looking for something to store my glass rods in. I wasn't finding much. Then one day while wandering the isles at our local home improvement store I came across plastic downspout material. I brought a couple sections home and cut it up. In the beginning I stacked it neatly in a cardboard box. Eventually I found these great scrapbooking cubes for 40% off at Michaels Craft store. I turned the cubes so the shelves run vertically and the downspout material fits perfectly in it. Best part is I can keep adding to it as I out grow the space.

I am going to try to add a picture but this is my first attempt uploading a photo at Lampworketc. - keeping my fingers crossed that this works.

Lia
Attached Images

Old 2011-04-15, 7:16am
Now in living color

Very cool Lia! Amazing that the downspout was such a perfect fit for the cube shelves. Excellent photo, too.

Jinx

Old 2011-04-15, 10:19am

Default "Frit of the day, or week"

For those of us that are getting older, we have quite a collection of perscription containers. I alway request the easy open top!!! When I have a collection of mixed frit, and even some thin thin stringers from a bunch of projects I throw it it the container. Sometimes I label it buy the project name, or color combo or just LWLOS Last weeks left over Stuff.
Old 2011-04-15, 2:28pm
Oinky Oink!

Lia,
That looks fantastic.
I wish I would have started with those rectangular ones instead of round PVC pipes.. looks so much neater..
Where are those from HD or Lowes? Perfect fit for that box.

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-04-18, 2:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspiggy View Post
Lia,
That looks fantastic.
I wish I would have started with those rectangular ones instead of round PVC pipes.. looks so much neater..
Where are those from HD or Lowes? Perfect fit for that box.
Christy
I got the down spout at Lowe's. It is their 2x3 inch downspout. (the smaller size that they carry) The three inch side of the downspout has little ridges in it and it is perfect for keeping the rods from rolling around. I have started putting the used rods on the right and the rest of the glass on the left and the ridges keep it from rolling together. However I don't have a lot of glass yet since I am just getting started with lampworking.

The boxes are from Michaels and are their JetMax modular storage craft boxes
http://www.michaels.com/Jetmax-Modul...torage&start=1
Old 2011-04-19, 9:23am

If you deconstruct computers, and can find the heat sink, it makes a great texture roller. Different computers have different shape and size sinks. If anyone is interested, I can post a picture of the ones I have.
Old 2011-04-20, 12:02pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Neat Thread! Here are a few tips from me:

1. I had my hubby cut up 2" PVC pipe on an angle, and I use that for rod storage. I tack each one to the lower one with silicone glue, so it can be peeled off if I rearrange. I checked Craigs List and got a bunch from someone who didn't need it for next to nothing.

2. I use a Rod Warmer, and turned a medium-sized nut can from Walmart upside down for a perfect height to go under long rods.

3. I use Thrift Store juice glasses and shot glasses with thick bottoms and narrow tops for stringers on my worktable. The clear glass shows them nicely, and the weighty bottom really makes a difference.

4. When I need a tool I go first to Devardi lampwork tools. They are really inexpensive. I got their long needle nose pliers for about $3 and use them for applying Murrini and other tasks. If you want to be frugal they are focused on the lampwork community and have a lot of molds, graphite marble rollers, tongs, mandrels and presses that are really inexpensive.

Their glass has to be used with a Rod Warmer and may have compatibility issues at times, but it's also very inexpensive ($6 a pound) in tight times.

http://www.devardiglass.com/supplies.htm

Old 2011-04-20, 3:40pm
offically down under

Kristina, I know that you are a fan of the Devardi glass but I have to honestly say, I think it is a real false economy. It is a very inconsistent, shocky glass that has compatibility issues. I don't want to spend all day working on a bead or bead set only to find out the next day that everything is cracking. Plus I hate shocky glass.

That is not to say that other glasses don't have compatibility issues when worked with other glass but it that is infrequent. And, yes, there are some colors that are shocky but I can name them on one hand. About 98% of the time, I can just pick up a rod and shove it right in the flame.

Frantz and the other great vendors often have their glass on sale for an affordable price. Plus, for those of you in the USA, there is always the option of buying glass in the garage sale.

Now, a better frugal tip would be to use up what glass you already have before you "have" to buy more.