LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-05-29, 4:13pm

Default Zimmerman color lovers? Advise me, please....

Hi all!

I just about made an order for about two hundred dollars of Zimmerman glass because the colors drew me in, they are so beautiful. But before I hit the Check Out button, I thought I better ask if there are any tricks or problems with Zimmerman. I've never used it so far. I noticed some of their colors reduce, also. Thanks so much to all who reply!

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#R-85
Old 2009-05-29, 4:21pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Supposedly, zimmerman will not be made anymore because the owner died.

I love their colors. Z-99 and Z-85 are TDF!! They do devit and like EDP you can get them back to shiny. You have to reheat till the bubbles stop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-05-29, 4:21pm
Rare Florida Native

Glad you posted the question Nancy - I was checking the colors out but I know nothing about working them
I am curious too.......

Old 2009-05-29, 4:27pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Which colors specifically do you have questions about?

The transparents are SUPER dense. I use them to encase clear or white and pull a stringer and decorate with that. THey are a lot like Reichenbach.

Old 2009-05-29, 4:43pm

Hi Debbie, I didn't have a quetions about any specific colors, but just wanted information about working the glassin general. Like, your reply that the transparents are super dense and that you use them for encasing and stringer pulling. That's relly helpful to know. Would the transparents be appropriate for making hollow beads? Because there are some yummy transparent colors!

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2009-05-29, 4:54pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Even in a hollow the colors might be a little dark, but they are so rich and gem-like.

I don't do reducing. I don't have the touch.

The opaque have some really coolr reaction. I personally use opaque more but that is just me.

Old 2009-05-29, 5:18pm

Hi Debbie, I agree, there are some gorgeous gem colors in the transparent. That's what attracted me, to be honest. There's an amethyst color, and a dark emerald green that look good enough to eat, just about!!

What sorts of reactions do you find with the opaques? Are these reactions with other kinds of glass that you're referring to, or reactions within the Zimmerman color palette? I hope you don't mind my asking these questions and picking your brain. I really want to order some but I want to be sure I really "need" it ;well, of course I do, lol, but I want to be sure I can get the best from it if I buy it. Thanks so much.

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2009-05-29, 5:19pm
Lampworkaholic!

The coral pink is just amazing. The purple rose and lilac rose are fussy (not as bad as EDP) but gorgeous. And yes, the family is closing the factory. So why not get a few colors while you can. They play nice with Gaffer Chalcedony.

I have to say that I have fallen in love with Gaffer, another 96 CoE furnace glass cane, made in New Zealand, but sold by Gaffer USA. So many awesome colors so little time and money.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-05-29, 5:35pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

The metallic green is cool. Any of the iris colors have color reactions. With opaques it often strikes with slightly different tones. Really pretty and "swirly"?

Old 2009-05-29, 6:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
The coral pink is just amazing. The purple rose and lilac rose are fussy (not as bad as EDP) but gorgeous. And yes, the family is closing the factory. So why not get a few colors while you can. They play nice with Gaffer Chalcedony.

I have to say that I have fallen in love with Gaffer, another 96 CoE furnace glass cane, made in New Zealand, but sold by Gaffer USA. So many awesome colors so little time and money.
Thanks Elizabeth. I think it is a good opportunity to get the Z colors while I can. I bought some Gaffer colors and chalcedony among them. I've yet to be able to get it to strike so the colors come out as beautifully as folks can do it, who have shown their beads in the Chalcedony thread. It would be interesting to try the Chalcedony with some Zimmerman colors too. Is Zimmerman 96 COE?

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2009-05-29, 6:07pm

Debbie, that sounds really neat, to use the iris colors with some opaques and see wht happens. I might be heading for financial ruin if I place that Zimmerman order as I am more and more inclined to do, hahaha!

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2009-05-29, 9:17pm
Corgi Cult Member

Zimmerman is 96. If you are planning to order frit, the grind size tends to run a bit larger than Reichenbach.

Old 2009-05-29, 9:49pm

Kathy, thank you for that bit of information. Important to know!!

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2009-05-30, 7:07pm

Thanks for the input, all. I did make an order of Zimmerman today, and am looking forward to working with it. I did get some nice jewel tone colors and few opaques.

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2009-06-09, 3:33pm
the GAFFER GIRLS

hi all was looking for something else and found this post today...
wanted to let everyone know we have a wonderful tutorial on our blog
ggg talk & share.... from wonderful Deb Batten from FIREBIRD FLAMEWORK...

http://gafferglassgirls.blogspot.com/

everyone has great success with her short sweet tutorial

thanks
mona & the girls
Old 2009-06-09, 3:56pm

Hi Mona and the girls, I'm so pleased that you posted to this thread and gave the link to Deb's tutorial! I just read it nd looked at all the pictures (her beads are beautiful) and feel like it really gave me a lot of insight into how to work the Chalcedony, which I had been having an awful time with. Thanks so very much!

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2009-06-09, 8:58pm
marbeads

Exclamation Zimmerman color

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyinvermont View Post
Hi Mona and the girls, I'm so pleased that you posted to this thread and gave the link to Deb's tutorial! I just read it nd looked at all the pictures (her beads are beautiful) and feel like it really gave me a lot of insight into how to work the Chalcedony, which I had been having an awful time with. Thanks so very much!

Nancy
Nancy,
Glad to see you got some great color. I have pulled stringers from furnace glass bars (1 1/2 inch rods) for many years. The color is very soft and can burn easily so I work out on the end of the flame. Oxy rich flames are helpful because many of the colors contain lead which will reduce to an ugly gray puke color. Be sure your flame is a little past neutral towards an oxidizing flame. The color density is for blowing glass. They cut a 1 inch piece and heat it in an oven. Then they gather clear from the furnace and pop the color on top. They melt it over the clear, hence the name color overlay. When they blow the bubble out the color remains bright.
I always have to heat and smash the end of my stringers so I can tell the color shade After use, I smash it again before returning it to my bench holder so I can easily select the color I need next time.
Hope this helps,
Have fun,
HITK,
Kurt
Old 2017-02-25, 7:01pm
Millionaire in Training

I see that no one has posted in this thread in 8 years. I am trying to find a new link for pictures of Deb Batten's beads, http://gafferglassgirls.blogspot.com/, but when I click on the link, I get someone else's blogspot and it shows lots of pictures of fences, but no beads. I've tried googling Deb Batten and found her blog, but no pictures of beads. I wish blogs had search features. Anyone have any links to her Blue Chalcedony frit beads by That Frit Girl?

Old 2017-02-25, 7:07pm
da General

I don't believe Deb makes glass beads any more. Are you on facebook? Here is her facebook page if you are:

https://www.facebook.com/DaBatt

Here is That Frit Girl facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/That-Frit-G...6814186363102/

|
|
|
|
Old 2017-02-28, 11:34pm
Naysayer

google shows me this
http://dabatt.blogspot.in/
Old 2017-02-28, 11:51pm
Millionaire in Training

Thank you Hayley and Ravenesque. Already found this link http://dabatt.blogspot.in/, but it does not have a search feature. I'll try the Facebook links.

Old 2017-03-02, 2:21pm
Naysayer

it does have a search, upper left
http://dabatt.blogspot.in/search?q=chalcedony