No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2008-04-07, 3:44pm
Curmudgeon

Default Glass Craft Expo extraordinary.

I just got home from the show. This was the most extraordinary of what is always an extraordinary show. It was great to personally meet so many people from the boards. Those that couldn't make it to the show missed out on a fabulous experience. Try harder to make it next year.

DeBrady Glassworks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Glass Campus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-04-08, 10:35am

I couldn't agree more Dennis!! I didn't get to see much of the show floor, but I met tons of wonderful students and loved my classes! Like most convention centers, it was a tad windy/noisy in the classrooms, but everyone persevered, and the results showed in their beads. I really enjoy this venue, which gets better every year.

I also really appreciated that Norm Dobbins once again let us teach sandblasting on his equipment on sunday morning, what a great way to wrap things up. I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to more LE'ers, and on the last day I thought I heard Mr. Smiley's name called as a raffle winner......does anyone know more?? Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2008-04-08, 8:11pm
Ex-lurker

I too thought the show was extraordinary. I had a great time and great sales! This was my third (and most profitable) year doing this fantastic show. My only complaint is that since I am selling I don't get to walk around at all. I guess we don't always get everything we want!

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2008-04-08, 10:06pm
Curmudgeon

We also had outstanding sales at the show. Already booked a triple-size booth for next year.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-04-15, 9:31pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Dennis, have they decided for sure then that the show will be in Vegas again? They were having meetings about maybe Reno, or somewhere on the east coast, due to $$ issues.
Old 2008-04-15, 11:20pm
I speak Murrini!

Sorry for taking so long to post (explained elsewhere - won't bore you with the details...) I was lucky enough to spend about 3 hours at the show on Saturday, and it was GREAT!!! I met all sorts of great folks I've cyber-spoken to here for a long time, but finally was able to give a big hug to!!!

I practically STOLE Loco's Miss Pink Bubbles Dragon; the same with Brent's "Eye" thing-a-me-bob (I LOVE her!); I purchased some great tools and stuff for PMC from PMC Connection, and had a general good time! I sure hope it's in Vegas again next year - I'll be there!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-04-16, 8:08am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillie View Post
Dennis, have they decided for sure then that the show will be in Vegas again? They were having meetings about maybe Reno, or somewhere on the east coast, due to $$ issues.
I don't know all the details but I do know the suggested move was prompted by a proposed increase by the hotel. I know there's also a HUGE problem with the Teamsters that pretty much have a strangehold on Vegas. I wonder how many non-exhibitors know just how ludicrous it is.

- Anything exhibitors bring in must be carried by a single individual. Nothing that requires 2 people to handle or is on wheels (including wheeled suitcases) is permitted. Everything else MUST be handled by the Teamsters for which an exhorbitant fee is charged.

- Anything that has to be moved in an exhibitor booth must be moved by a Teamster. At my first show, I got screamed at for moving my table from one side of the booth to the other side.

- The booth comes with one table. Rent for additional tables is $80. each.

- Electrical service to an exhibit booth is almost $200.

Many participants complain about the high cost of the Vegas show but I can assure everyone that those cost aren't caused by Las Vegas Management that manages the show. They're caused by the unusually high rents and unusually high union costs that are the standard in Vegas. I'd expect if that show was put on anywhere else, it would be about half the cost.

My understanding is the suggested move was a form of poll to survey how many people would support having the show relocated to Reno and to have a second annual show in the fall somewhere in the east. FWIW, my response was that I think every effort should be made to keep the show in Vegas even if moving it to Reno would allow price reductions. Reno is nice but it isn't Vegas. I believe the move would reduce attendance more then it would increase it - but if it moved, I'd continue to support the show in the same way I have for many years. I also oppose having a fall show anywhere. GlassCraft Expo has grown to become the premier glass show and makes all other shows insignificant in comparison. I believe a single major show is the way it should be done. Why would someone want to attend or exhibit at a small regional eastern show when the only really world class one is at Vegas?

My expectation is that the show will continue in Vegas and I will continue to exhibit there. I've already requested a much bigger exhibit space for next year to allow for in booth demos of numerous products. I'm hoping to display a complete line of kilns, oxycons, and coldworking equipment - as well as all the "Master Artisan" products we already have and all the new stuff now in development. The Vegas slogan is "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas". Mine is "Go big or go home".

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-04-16, 2:11pm
I speak Murrini!

Wow, Dennis - what a PITA! Sorry that putting on such a wonderful show is so cumbersome! I sure enjoyed it..though next time (if it IS in Vegas, that is!) I'll sure appreciate all the more the effort that goes into making it happen!

Regards from CA,
DeAnne

Old 2008-04-17, 7:06am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Wow, Dennis - what a PITA! Sorry that putting on such a wonderful show is so cumbersome! I sure enjoyed it..though next time (if it IS in Vegas, that is!) I'll sure appreciate all the more the effort that goes into making it happen!

Regards from CA,
DeAnne
GlassCraft Expo is an impressive show and the more you know about what a herculean effort it takes to put on a show like that, the more impressed you are with the work done by Patty and her crew at Las Vegas Management.

Cudos to Patty. Good on ya girl. Wherever you decide to do the show, sign me up forever.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-04-17, 10:30am

I'd love a show in the EAST!!
How many people attended?

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-04-17, 11:43am
Temptress

I love having it in Vegas! It's a great excuse for...all kinds of things
Old 2008-04-17, 12:09pm
Does that shed?

I'd love a show in the east as well! I'd be there with bells on. I'm trying to get enough together to make the 09 show but if there was one happen in the east I would probably end up there instead. More dollars to spend on classes and goodies that way.
Old 2008-04-17, 12:34pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
I'd love a show in the EAST!!
How many people attended?

Paula
The Art Glass Association used to have shows rotating between Chicago, Nashville, and Orlando. The Vegas show put them out of business.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-04-17, 3:39pm

The Vegas show is quite remarkable in how well it is run, but how it is still kind of warm and friendly. By the last day Patty of LV management told me she expected it would stay in Las Vegas. The so-called East spots they had surveyed vendors about included Louisville, KY and Columbus, OH, not exactly what I think of as East, since I'm in NJ. I think I would just as soon fly to Las Vegas, and that venue at the South Point is SO convenient.Check it out if you haven't, they have a multiplex theater, bowling alley, many many places to eat, a rodeo ring, great spa, and by next time the pool will be re-opened. A good time for all without leaving the building. Jeri

Old 2008-04-28, 4:26pm
Pattyglass

Thank you all for your positive feedback....
Yes, it takes alot of work to make the show what it is... however it is people like you who attend, teach, exhibit and support us that make it such a success!
Lots of exciting things are coming!!!! Look out 2009!!!!
Again, thank you all so much...
Old 2008-04-29, 9:42am
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Patty, this was the second year for me to attend, and I fully plan on being back to wherever it is located (hopefully Vegas!) next year and every year following. I'm already saving my $$ for classes and "stuff". The only thing I will suggest for next year at the
SouthPoint is that I get a room higher than the 2nd floor and away from the worker guys walking around on the roof outside my window every morning at 5:30! LOL I thought booking in October would have gotten us a room away from the construction..this year, I'm booking in September when the catalog comes out!

I think ya'll do a fantastic job and there is not enough money in the world to pay me to do your job!
Old 2008-05-09, 4:58pm
Temptress

I saw on the Expo website that they will be announcing the location of the Expo soon. Anyone know anything else about this?
Old 2008-07-06, 7:54am

Default East Coast Show

There is a show in Orlando, FL in the fall but not as good as Las Vegas yet. I'm hoping it will get better and better every year.

Peggy
The Glass Chef
Old 2008-07-06, 11:35am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glass Chef View Post
There is a show in Orlando, FL in the fall but not as good as Las Vegas yet. I'm hoping it will get better and better every year.
The show in Orlando has consistently shrank over the years. I expect that trend to continue as the Vegas show continues to grow. Many of the big exhibitors no longer bother with Orlando.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-07-06, 2:23pm
I speak Murrini!

Do we know the dates for Glass Craft Vegas for 2009? I like to plan ahead...I had so much fun this last time 'round (and it was my very first glass show attendance EVER!) - I'd love to know if/when it's decided.

Thanks,
DeAnne

Old 2008-07-06, 2:52pm

Here is what their site says about 2009:
The dates for the 2009 Expo will be Wednesday April 1st through April-5th. Classes will begin on Wednesday, April 1st and the show floor will open on Friday, April 3rd.

On top of the show, they are also plannin some sort of big flame-off event, I don't think all the details are known yet, but given what a great show this is, I'm sure it will just add to the fun!! Jeri

Old 2008-07-06, 6:04pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeri View Post
Here is what their site says about 2009:
The dates for the 2009 Expo will be Wednesday April 1st through April-5th. Classes will begin on Wednesday, April 1st and the show floor will open on Friday, April 3rd.

On top of the show, they are also plannin some sort of big flame-off event, I don't think all the details are known yet, but given what a great show this is, I'm sure it will just add to the fun!! Jeri
Here's a little teaser about the flame off:
http://www.internationalglassinvitational.com/

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-07-10, 11:20am
formerly JewelsByJenny

I have wanted to go for years but finances have kept me from it. I think the fact that it IS in Vegas is why it's so successful. When I get to go (and I will someday) I can take my whole family, my husband won't be bored because he can gamble and have fun while I am at the show, which makes it guilt free all around. That is how I can justify it for us. Otherwise, If it was somewhere else. I couldn't take him and I don't know if I would go by myself.

Jenny