LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2009-03-14, 1:30am
Gimme that silver glass!

Thank you Cynthia ! And Jennifer, I totally agree with you. I read the tutorial twice and just started at the torch, without the instructions nearby. It is so well written and pictured!

And I had a BLAST !!!! These guys/girls are just so much fun!!!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-03-14, 2:06am

Cynthia, thank you so much for this great tutorial!
Yesterday I ried to make a Keeper and I had so much fun!
I know I have to practice a lot to make it look good, but it's so nice to make these Keepers!
I made 5 of yhem and the last one is whit coppermesh. I wanted to make a normal lentil, but the coppermesh didn't go right so I made a fase on the other side
The big purple "Keeper" at the top is the firts one I tried to make...

This is the one with the coppermesh...

Old 2009-03-14, 8:47am
Suzi Fitzwater

Oh my gosh, where have I been lately?! I didn't see this!

I have, of course gone and ordered the tut!! I'd have been willing to pay for a class and drive the four hours to Santa Rosa to learn this! Actually, I'd STILL be willing to drive the four hours!
Old 2009-03-14, 11:17am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

My first sad little Keeper just went into the kiln....I forgot the tassel on the end of the cap!

This tut is excellent....well written and specific without rambling....but I do need to go back and re-read and see when/where to use the goldstone stringer......

Old 2009-03-14, 5:31pm

Cocobeads...your "Keepers" are great. I really love the one with the orange hat and the copper mesh bead gone "Keeper" is just outrageous. I love it. Great job and wow, you were busy, I can't believe how many you made.

Lynn, I have done that before. Actually, I have forgotten the nose several times. You know if that happens, you can just pop the bead back into the kiln and at the end of your beading session, pull it out and just fix what you forgot. Lord knows I have done that too many times to count.

Now I would really like to see what is in that kiln of yours so please, please post!

Old 2009-03-14, 8:03pm
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Cocobeads...your "Keepers" are great. I really love the one with the orange hat and the copper mesh bead gone "Keeper" is just outrageous. I love it. Great job and wow, you were busy, I can't believe how many you made.

Lynn, I have done that before. Actually, I have forgotten the nose several times. You know if that happens, you can just pop the bead back into the kiln and at the end of your beading session, pull it out and just fix what you forgot. Lord knows I have done that too many times to count.

Now I would really like to see what is in that kiln of yours so please, please post!
I don't feel so bad now. 15 minutes after I popped it in the kiln I realized I forgot the nose. I pulled it back out and added the nose. The only problem I had with that was a few of my stringers blew off. I still absolutely love it and can't wait to try another one.

Old 2009-03-14, 8:47pm

Yep, that has also happened to me too The stringer popping off I mean. At the end of the whole process when the bead is completely finished, I just sit there and heat the bead very well all the way around to make sure everything is really attached and nothing is apt to pop off. I really look at the stringer and make sure there are no spaces under any of them too. Going over bumpy stuff with stringer means sometimes it's not anchored down in all of the nooks and crannies so I take my brass paddle and push the stringer down where ever it's not attached. It's only taken me about 10 years to figure that out After making a gazzilion of these guys, only now do I have a good success rate to where they don't have to go back into the kiln. I probably should have had a step by step and I would have never forgotten to add body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinwelch View Post
I don't feel so bad now. 15 minutes after I popped it in the kiln I realized I forgot the nose. I pulled it back out and added the nose. The only problem I had with that was a few of my stringers blew off. I still absolutely love it and can't wait to try another one.

Last edited by glassactcc; 2009-03-15 at 7:46am. Reason: Left something out.
Old 2009-03-15, 5:01am

Cynthia, thanks for the great tutorial!! I love it. I particularly loved your wonderful sense of humor!! The last page had me rolling!!!! LOL

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2009-03-15, 11:14am
Suzi Fitzwater

Cynthia, I got mine, thanks! It's SO fabulous!!!
I can't wait to get in some torch time!
Old 2009-03-15, 12:54pm

Thank you so much Debbie and Sue.

Hey Sue, it's nice to see you up there in your avatar

Old 2009-03-15, 1:23pm
Suzi Fitzwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Thank you so much Debbie and Sue.

Hey Sue, it's nice to see you up there in your avatar
If I can make a decent "Keeper", maybe he (or she) will become my avatar.
Old 2009-03-15, 1:46pm

Well then, get busy!!! Maybe you can have one of those changing ones. Your face, than Keepers face, than your face. I don't know how to do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
If I can make a decent "Keeper", maybe he (or she) will become my avatar.

Old 2009-03-15, 2:07pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Damn... I don't even "do" sculptural type beads but I couldn't resist! Here we go

Old 2009-03-15, 2:45pm
NW Oregon

Hi Cynthia;

I tried again, this time with Effetre. I know she's got problems, this tutorial is great for learning heat control (she wasn't "born" with her eyes looking to the side like that). And I think I'm going to file my pick till it's shiny so I don't get that unwanted crud on my glass. But I have a question....this time I did get the enamel blush on her when I was supposed to and she still has freckles. Do you think I'm getting my application too thin? I really did make sure to let the enamel melt in slowly while I was working on other areas.

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2009-03-15, 3:06pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I like the freckles Great job...

I can't wait to try it out... tap, tap, tap... I'm trying to be patient!

Old 2009-03-15, 3:15pm

Heee....Donna, I better check my email!

As for the enamel question. Are you putting a pretty good coating of it on? I really heat the cheeks up well, and then dip. I have only used the pink though, so maybe the color you are using is too contrasting. Just make sure there is a good coating of it, and if you need to re-dip later, that is fine too. Just make sure that when you are trying to melt the enamel in, you do it slowly and in a cool flame. Be careful though not to let your bead cool to much. If you do it at the end, just sit and warm the bead all around while the enamel is melting in.

Old 2009-03-15, 3:31pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Eeep! It's here, it's here! I have an hour and half left in the studio today... I was gonna leave early, but now I'm stayin'! Thanks Cynthia

Old 2009-03-15, 3:33pm

Oh dear, I made you stay late. I would love to see pictures palleeeese! When your done of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
Eeep! It's here, it's here! I have an hour and half left in the studio today... I was gonna leave early, but now I'm stayin'! Thanks Cynthia

Old 2009-03-15, 3:44pm
"Sinners have soul too"

LOL... I'm such a dork! I thought I was gonna get to make one today! Not... must read instructions first... Slowing down now...

Old 2009-03-15, 5:41pm

Hi Cynthia,
Well tomorrow is the day I'm going to try to make a "keeper"! I have read threw the instruction like 3 or 4 times now. Just reading this thread helps too. (I must file my pick clean before I start). I will post the picture of my "Keeper" tuesday 3-17. Wish me luck!
Teena
Old 2009-03-15, 5:49pm

Ok for your amusement tonite!!!
First we have Wanda, she was the first I made and when I was putting the dots on her head, while the dots were hot they looked like those little pink spongie rollers!! Wanda has a little bit of a mouth problem!!
Second was Leon the Leprechan, well it is almost St Patty's day. Leon is a little different but we love him anyway. He has a little nose and mouth problem!!!
Then last but not least is Judy the Jester. I think while Judy's mouth was being reconstructed, she lost her nares!!! Don't ya hate it when that happens!!! I might try and make Judy into a doll of some kind and send her to a friend who loves jesters.

Obviously I haven't got it down yet, but it sure is fun trying!!!!

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2009-03-15, 7:06pm

Teena, may the torch be with you

OMG, Wanda and the gang are adorable. She certainly does have personality. I think she's my fav but.....how can I say that in front of Leon when it's almost his special day. And Judy, well she's not just any body....I mean, I want to see her body when you finish. I love them all.

Old 2009-03-16, 2:33am

Yesterday I mad some more "Keepers". I love to make them!!!
So thanks again for this great tuorial!!!

Old 2009-03-16, 6:28am
Suzi Fitzwater

Ooo, nice job!
Old 2009-03-16, 9:51am
Oh, baby, I m'know...

Wow! Great "Keepers" everyone. I made a couple more "Kittys of the Thicket" this weekend. I'll post them later.

Old 2009-03-16, 5:29pm

Those beads are adoreable, I just love them.
Sandra
Old 2009-03-16, 6:28pm

Wow, more "Keepers". They are looking fabulous!!!

Old 2009-03-16, 6:33pm
glass nerd!

I caved and bought it! I soo hope I can make something worth showing. lol

Old 2009-03-16, 7:46pm

Monday update: No keepers for me today, I had to work on orders, hope to make one tomorrow am....
Teena
Old 2009-03-17, 7:49am
NW Oregon

The Cowardly Lion! And NO blush to worry about

~J

Jennifer
Highland Beads