No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-07-03, 4:11pm
glass nerd!

Default Where to buy a fan?

I need to know where a good place to buy a ventilation fan from. Anywhere between 4 to 600 cfm. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-07-03, 5:45pm
da General

I got my CAN fan from Maryland Hydro -

http://mdhydro.com/

In addition to inline fans, it also carries squirrel cage fans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-07-03, 7:17pm
glass nerd!

Thanks! I'm off to check these out.

Old 2009-07-03, 7:18pm

I got my Fan Tech fan from a similar place - hydroponics suppliers seem to have the best ones for lampworking. You can find Can Fan, Fan Tech and Vortechs fans. These are inline fans with good cfm performance, especially into vent pipe static pressures. There are also quit a few good squirrel cage fans. I know less about them - hopefully someone else can chime in and give you ideas.

Linda
Old 2009-07-04, 3:22am

Thanks I was looking for this link earlier. I can't wait to get mine set up.
Caroline
Old 2009-07-05, 9:39am
glass nerd!

Thanks again for the link! I ordered one.

Old 2009-07-07, 6:34am

Grainger industrial supply has just about everything you could possibly need. That's where I bought all of my ventilation system parts.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml

Robert
Old 2009-07-08, 4:29am

Yep, grainger. You might have a store near you. They are great to deal with.
Old 2009-07-16, 4:41pm
Just at the begining

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLinda View Post
I got my Fan Tech fan from a similar place - hydroponics suppliers seem to have the best ones for lampworking. You can find Can Fan, Fan Tech and Vortechs fans. These are inline fans with good cfm performance, especially into vent pipe static pressures. There are also quit a few good squirrel cage fans. I know less about them - hopefully someone else can chime in and give you ideas.

Linda
Vortechs can be a little loud, I have a 10" one and it sounds like a jet engine when it's running but boy does it pull air, and all the AC with it. Squirrel cage fans are good for moving lots of air at a reasonable sound level, I have a dual Squirrel cage as well that I picked up surplus, but haven't hooked up yet. Vortech style fans are easy to set up, but it's important to use smooth duct.
Old 2009-07-16, 6:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDeM View Post
Vortechs can be a little loud, I have a 10" one and it sounds like a jet engine when it's running but boy does it pull air, and all the AC with it. Squirrel cage fans are good for moving lots of air at a reasonable sound level, I have a dual Squirrel cage as well that I picked up surplus, but haven't hooked up yet. Vortech style fans are easy to set up, but it's important to use smooth duct.
I happened to pick the 10" Fantech inline fan - the specs fit better with what I needed than some of the others, although squirrel cage fans are great choices. The sound is probably similar to Vortech, but I did something similar to Robert Simmons and built a sound-insulating box around mine, and plan on dampening my vent ducting. At the moment, the sound isn't objectionable, though. If I could have mounted the fan outside, that would have been the best.

I agree with you, I think it's important to use smooth ducting regardless of fan type. It's astonishing how much loss the flexible ducting creates.... and smooth wall ducting isn't particularly difficult to work with.

Linda