Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2008-09-23, 10:42pm
Mary Lockwood

Default Canes Tutorial available now...$15 instant download

Hi guys! I finally finished it.

You can click here to purchase in my shop!

This was originally meant to be an extension of the Jellyfish Tutorial, but it kept growing to include canes that I don't normally use in my seascapes so it took me a bit longer.

This tutorial has complete written instructions (18 pages), and step by step images (over 100!) of how to build and use 9 different canes.

Striped Vines
Latticino
Pinwheel Twisties
Inside Out Stripes
Tubers
Capped Ribbons
Rainbow Ribbon
Starfish Murrini
Zanfirico Ballerino

You can view free sample pages and supply list before purchase!

Thanks for looking!

For all those people who wanted the more advanced canes to use with the jellyfish tutorial you already have from me...they are all in here plus some.

If you DON'T already have the jellyfish tutorial...you don't have to have it to use this one. They stand alone.

Hugs.
~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Moth; 2013-01-15 at 9:22am.
Old 2008-09-24, 5:31am
Dangerous Woman

First?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-09-24, 5:34am
Dangerous Woman

WOW!!!! Great tut Mary!!! Now I know what to do with all the cane I already have! I can't wait to play!

Old 2008-09-24, 6:43am
Mary Lockwood

Hi Nancy!

Thanks so much for the fast feedback. It's always a little nerve wracking when you send something like this out into the world. You work on it so long that you get too close to it to see it the way someone else might. It's good to know you are happy.

I added a bunch of pictures to the tutorial page this morning. I posted this at 2am and was just too tired to do it. At least now people can see what they will be getting. LOL

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy making the canes.

~~Mary

Old 2008-09-24, 7:03am
Covered in glitter

Excellent tut! I'm not sure with the download but I had to send it to myself at another email address so I could put it in both computers. If you see that I emailed it, it was only to me. (and will STAY that way!)

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-09-24, 7:11am
The Brighter the Better!

Oh I am counting the seconds till pay day...Then nothing will stop me!!! I have been waiting for this for so long. Thank you so much for writing this,

Cheers

Jenny

Old 2008-09-24, 7:25am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkauz View Post
Excellent tut! I'm not sure with the download but I had to send it to myself at another email address so I could put it in both computers. If you see that I emailed it, it was only to me. (and will STAY that way!)
Hi Deb!

No worries...I want you to be able to put it wherever you need to put it!

Thanks for getting it and I hope you have lots of fun making canes.

~~Mary

Last edited by Moth; 2008-09-24 at 7:26am. Reason: I'm an idiot...was trying to explain how to do what you already did
Old 2008-09-24, 8:10am
Covered in glitter

I love making canes but I get stuck on the same old ones. I can't wait to have something there to make me 'see' different things. WooHoo!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-09-24, 8:25am

Excellent, Mary!
Old 2008-09-24, 8:30am
Mary Lockwood

Jenny, I'm glad you are excited about it! Please share what you accomplish while working with it. I love to see that stuff.

Thanks, Pat! Your jellyfish were really good the last I saw of them. Hope you like working with the more advanced canes!

~~Mary

Old 2008-09-25, 8:04am
Mary Lockwood

Do you guys like the instant download process or do you think I should put this up on etsy instead?

I did both last time but I let it go just by digital download for the first week since that seems to be when the most purchases are. I can certainly pop it right up onto etsy sooner though if people want it that way.

Thanks!
~~Mary

Old 2008-09-25, 10:16am

Love the instant download! No problems here and I am on a Mac! this tutorial is just soo exciting! I have a bout a million ideas going thru my head. I have been creating a rolodex of twisties and canes with recipe cards! this is soo cool. The only bad thing is that I leave for Colorado in the morning and I have a bunch of things to finish so no torch time til I get back October 20th. but I certainly have a great thing to come home to! Thank you so Much Mary!
Jen
Old 2008-09-25, 10:58am
Mary Lockwood

OH...the agony! LOL

I purchased some new (to me) glass colors and a couple of tools I had been wanting for a really loooong time back in the middle of summer. They arrived the morning of the day we left for vacation. I spent the whole vacation wishing I was home torching. LOL

~~Mary

Old 2008-09-25, 11:55am
Cheesehead Packer lover

Mary, I just got the Jellyfish and the cane tutorial. I love making canes too.
Thanks so much for doing this!!

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2008-09-25, 12:06pm

Mary, I must say you have out done yourself yet again with this one. It is beautifully done and the information is great. Making twisties and cane are difficult for many people but your tutorial is awesome. Of course, I would love to see your beautiful face more often and see the instructions in person but this is pretty darn close. I can see your personality in the way you write and the instructions are definitely the same caliber as your class instructions. Awesome. Great job yet again. I can't wait to see what you do next. I am going to be pulling canes all afternoon. I am doing a twistie exchange in the patio so I did mention the tutorial over there for people who might be interested in it for their twisties. I didn't think you could do better than the jellyfish tutorial. I wouldn't say this one is better but it is every bit as good. I am eager to see what you are doing next. I hope it is an encasing tutorial because somehow, my encasing has gotten worse rather than better since I upgraded my torch but I would also love to learn how you make your birds and other creatures. Awesome work Mary!

Old 2008-09-25, 1:13pm
Mary Lockwood

Hi Cherie and thanks for picking up the tutorials. I wish you the best of luck with them and hope you are pleased.

Rachel...sweetie...I messaged you last week but didn't hear back. How are things?

Thanks for all the kudos on the tutorial. I actually wanted it to be bigger but it was already past 3MB with just the 9 canes. I originally had 14 canes on the docket and had to take some out. Focus...focus. LOL

I'm already working on the next one...it is sculptural. I'm combining the fish, the mushroom and the bird. I think. Actually, I've been wanting to ask everyone if I should bundle them together or offer them separately. I haven't been able to make up my mind.

Hugs.
~~Mary

Old 2008-09-25, 4:44pm

Mary
Will you have it for a while? I have to wait for a few days then get it.

Rose Leslie
Old 2008-09-25, 5:04pm
Mary Lockwood

Hi Rose, yep I'll have it forever.

It will be on the tutorials page of my website, and have a page of its own.

www.marylockwood.com/canestutorial.html

Thanks for asking!
~~Mary

Old 2008-09-25, 5:36pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Hi Cherie and thanks for picking up the tutorials. I wish you the best of luck with them and hope you are pleased.

Rachel...sweetie...I messaged you last week but didn't hear back. How are things?

Thanks for all the kudos on the tutorial. I actually wanted it to be bigger but it was already past 3MB with just the 9 canes. I originally had 14 canes on the docket and had to take some out. Focus...focus. LOL

I'm already working on the next one...it is sculptural. I'm combining the fish, the mushroom and the bird. I think. Actually, I've been wanting to ask everyone if I should bundle them together or offer them separately. I haven't been able to make up my mind.

Hugs.
~~Mary

Bundle! Bundle! Bundle!

Old 2008-09-25, 5:48pm
Bead Imp

Thank you, thank you thank you!!! You don't know how many questions were answered by just skimming through this tutorial. I'm off to read and then play! Oh, I can't wait for the bird/fish/mushroom tutorial! I vote put them all in one. But, which ever way you do them I'll be buying! Your tutorials are so well written.

Old 2008-09-25, 6:23pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I love the fact that you told how long they take for you to make them. The auto download is wonderful since most of us are loving the instant gratification it gives. Thanks so much for writing this.

Old 2008-09-26, 5:36am
Mary Lockwood

Vicki, I'm glad to hear it!

Yes, I do believe I will bundle them together. That was my original intent but thought that perhaps people would like a more a la carte type control over what they got. Bundle it is.

Tracy, you can thank Rachel for the timing info. She helped me with the Jellyfish Tutorial and mentioned that it would be nice to have the times in there so I automatically just added them in for the canes too. She is also who suggested ranking each step as to difficulty level. Vicki Brunberg helped me a lot with the last one as well and I applied their advice to this one too. It is working.

Let me know if there are any other little things you would like added because I do listen.

~~Mary

Old 2008-09-26, 10:08am

Mary, I'm pretty darned proficient with most canes and had not planned on buying your tute. Good thing you included some previews because when I saw you had included the Zanfirico Ballerino I hit the buy button!

The whole thing looks great. You've done a very nice job of explaining everything and I can hardly wait to try the Zanfirico.

so my advice to those who think this is too basic ... check it out. You may find, like I did, that it's worth the purchase.

Old 2008-09-26, 2:05pm
Mary Lockwood

Wow, Darleen, thank you for that. I'm thrilled that you like it.

Now I'm off to check out what this paperback swap is all about in your signature line. I have so many books I could open a store. LOL

~~Mary

Old 2008-09-28, 2:23pm

Mary, I had so much fun playing with this yesterday. So much information and gorgeous pictures!!!! Oh, and I sent you a PM so please check it. Email me if you didn't get it.

Very cool tutorial and I think I am going to try to make a jellyfish bead today.

Old 2008-09-28, 3:03pm

Hi Mary!

I am the person who won your jellyfish bead and tutorial, and I wanted to thank you. I LOVE IT! When you do have bound copies available I will buy one for the Canes. I am all about learning and the more I can read and practice, the better off I will be.

Again, thank you so much! I treasure the book and bead - and have been showing the bead to everyone I know. The consensus is that it's beautiful!
Old 2008-09-28, 7:25pm

Whooo Hoooo!!!! Mary Rocks!!!!!
Old 2008-09-28, 9:21pm
Mary Lockwood

Rachel, that's awesome. I'm happy you could get some good torch time in yesterday. I got your PM...I'll write back tomorrow morning after the kids are in school. I'll probably drone on and on and I want plenty of time to do it. LOL

Shari, yay! Good to know you are pleased with my small contribution to the Major Prize you won!! I'll let you know as soon as I get my shipment of the canes books.

glasswhimz- look at that adorable doggy in your avatar...what a cutie!

Thanks for the kudos guys!
~~Mary

Old 2008-09-29, 12:28pm
Mary Lockwood

Just a quick note that the Canes Tutorial is available on Etsy now...I just listed it last night.

Thanks you guys.
~~Mary

Old 2008-10-01, 1:17am
The Brighter the Better!

Got it!!! Doing a little happy dance now and racing off to the torch...Results soon!

Cheers

Jenny