TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: How long is optimal for use with your EMS?
4 inches 2 13.33%
5 inches 1 6.67%
6 inches 1 6.67%
9 inches 7 46.67%
12 inches 6 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-05-28, 6:05pm
hollow mandels available

Default EMS (Electric Mandrel Spinner) mandrel length

I had a customer ask for really short mandrels for use with an EMS. How long a mandrel do you prefer to use with yours? You should be able to make more than one poll seletion if multiple lengths work well for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5/64 mandrels in stock 2/2014

Last edited by The bead box man; 2010-05-28 at 6:08pm.
Old 2010-05-28, 6:07pm
Angie09

4.5 inches ... they work great!!!
Old 2010-05-29, 12:38pm

I use 9" for short beads and 12" for long. Then when they eventually bend, you can turn them around and use the other end!
Mary T.

Old 2010-05-29, 3:01pm

I am not sure how 4-5 inches would work really. I suppose if you only make rounds it is OK but the idea is to have the mandrel all the way through the body of the spinner because it only 'grabs' in a couple of places on the mandrel. I think the larger sizes like over 1/4' may actually need to be shorter because of the way they are held (not through the body of the spinner) as opposed to 3.2 and under. I like a reasonable amount of mandrel sticking out so that you can be further away from the flame and not heating up that brake bit too much.

Kym
Old 2010-05-29, 4:05pm
Ready to hit the road

I nick my mandrels with a file and that helps the spinner grab the mandrel.

Old 2010-05-29, 4:25pm

I had BBM make me some 5.5 and 6 inch ones. They work great.

Old 2010-05-29, 4:39pm
Meow.

I only make beads that are 2.5" or longer with my spinner...so 4" would never work for me. I opt for the 9" mandrels.

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2010-05-30, 11:42am
what's a senior moment ?

12" and I only use 3/32 mandrels. You can make a bunch of spacers on one mandrel this way as well as nice long beads. Also, the 12" reach into the kiln & rest on the mandrel holder perfectly and I don't burn my fingers ! I anneal as I go so this works for me.

Old 2010-05-30, 12:09pm
hollow mandels available

Thanks to all that replied. It looks like most folks prefer standard length madrels but a small subset prefer shorter ones. I was debating making some manrel listings in my etsy shop of shorter ones but I guess that will not be profitable for me. If someone wants shorter ones I guess I could cut them in half for a small fee.

Old 2010-05-30, 4:23pm

I'm ordered some 4 1/2" and although they are a little straighter than my longer ones, I still have wobble (2 out of the first 12 pak didn't wobble). Any thoughts on where to get straight mandrels?
-Elaine
Old 2010-05-30, 4:47pm
MacGalver

If you are using them in the EMS, I would guess the shorter mandrels are more likely to wobble than the longer ones, because they won't be gripped as securely.

Jo

Old 2010-05-30, 5:10pm
hollow mandels available

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrlartist View Post
If you are using them in the EMS, I would guess the shorter mandrels are more likely to wobble than the longer ones, because they won't be gripped as securely.

Jo
Not sure how length would effect gripping. Obviously if they are not put in striaght or if they have a bend the longer they are the greater the wobble.

Old 2010-05-30, 5:13pm
hollow mandels available

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbatteries View Post
I'm ordered some 4 1/2" and although they are a little straighter than my longer ones, I still have wobble (2 out of the first 12 pak didn't wobble). Any thoughts on where to get straight mandrels?
-Elaine
If all of them wobbled I would worry you are not setting them in straight or there is problem with the alignment of the spinner. Can you put something straight like a pencil in it and not see any wobble? If no wobble when you did that then you have a poor manderl batch or some that got damaged in shipment. I would be willing to send you some to try if you will cover shipping.

Old 2010-06-01, 2:07pm

All but two wobbled--not all.
-Elaine
Old 2010-06-01, 2:50pm
hollow mandels available

Did you try putting something like a pencil in it and see if it wobbled?

Old 2010-06-01, 2:52pm
hollow mandels available

I guess you could also check if you mandrels are striaght like they check pool cues. Lay it on the table and try to roll it. It should roll easily and not catch at high and low spots.