LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2021-04-25, 7:24pm

Default Torching triggering ocular migraine following occipital lobe stroke??!! Anyone??

I recently took up lampworking again after a hiatus to open a store with my best friend for about 8 years. During that time i have had three diagnosed strokes, two temporal lobe and the ocipital lobe which I am struggling with the torch being a trigger in the ocipital lobe, forcing me to stop I immediately as I get very dark spots, blind spaces really, where my glass was in the flame. I have appropriate eye wear. I went through extreme family stress and wonder if this isn't neuralogic rather than visual. It sucks. Gonna try to get into the neurologist who saw me when I had the stroke initially.......It really just sucks

Juniemoon is bummed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2021-04-25, 8:15pm
Phill

Ouch.

I haven't heard of such issues but it must be torturous to have your muse be source of such pain.

My only thought is to get seriously dark shades, maybe even a welders hood and then light the work area like an airport runway.

Good luck with this.
Old 2021-04-26, 3:27pm
Catnip Pusher

Light sensitivity is a symptom of migraine. I have had days when torching has set me off, so it isn't inconceivable that you may now be ultra-sensitive. It's terrible, losing something you love!

Aimee
Old 2021-04-26, 9:54pm
Slogan Challenged...

I hope you can find some work arounds to increase your comfort. What should have filled you with joy has been nothing but frustrating. I'm so sorry!

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2021-04-27, 6:31am

How awful to be prevented from doing what you love because of physical issues - although it comes to all of us eventually, I suppose. I hope your neurologist can find a work around for you.

There is a new biologic drug - Aimovig - for the prevention of migraines (I used to get them daily, now down to less than one per week) that might be helpful. Your neurologist should have info about it.

Sending you all good wishes.

June
Old 2021-04-27, 9:55am

The saga continues...We took my daughter to Omaha during this time and it appears now that I only remember snipits. I refused to believe I retired at Christmas,....so with memory loss , , high anxiety, flashing lights, visual disturbances headaches I tried to see my doctor again.......not for a week and neurologist....one month.....

I have great lampworking glasses, and two six foot fluorescent light fixtures and four light bulbs in ceiling. Staring into light, worse trigger , hhhmmmmm
Very very worried.......

I could use a hug

Old 2021-04-27, 4:21pm
Phill

Hugs to you Juniemoon.

Hope you can find a route through it all.

Maybe setting up a camera system and working from a video screen?

I'm just brain storming here but try everything until you run out of ideas.
Old 2021-04-28, 6:37am

Sending you many hugs, Juniemoon. The brain is a wonderful thing, able to change itself to cope with damage. It may be a long road ahead, but there may be a path forward for your brain to heal. Would it be helpful to talk with others who have gone down this road before you? There may be a world of possible help that exists, ready for you to access.

Keep posting, if it helps, and know that there are people thinking of you, wishing the best for you. - June
Old 2021-04-28, 10:49am
Shelarious

Oh my gosh, that is frightening. I would hug you if I could. I am moving and packed up my bead collection; and one of your beads was there. I looked at the gorgeous waterfall you made on a tiny bead and was really amazed. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 2021-04-29, 2:26pm

Juniemoon, that sounds more than just a bit frightening. I know you and your family are already trying everything you possibly can to figure this out. For your sake, and the sake of your art, I hope you do.
Old 2021-05-02, 11:26am
dances with ideas...

Hugs! I hope you’re able to find a workaround.

Old 2021-05-03, 9:56am
Slogan Challenged...

Many hugs!!! Let us know how it goes.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2023-12-11, 9:42am
J R Hooper

I was having the most bizarre visual problems, would see these weird flashing streaks that would pulsate sometimes, and other times I would literally loose vision in my right eye for a few minutes. It scared the crap out of me. I went to a neurologist and they ran me through a battery of tests, everything from blood work to hooking my head up to wires and flashing lights. They ended up putting me on Propranolol, magnesium, and an aspirin regimen and so far it has almost completely stopped. I still occasionally get the random sparkly gnat looking things, but it's WAAAY better now and far less frequent. I think Propranolol is a beta-blocker, not sure what the magnesium and aspirin do for it, but that used to scare me thinking I was having strokes.
Found this interesting also...
“There's a strong link between nitric oxide and migraine, but we just don't know what the actual mechanism is,” Dussor said.
Isn't that one of the by-products of torching?

Last edited by jesnbec73; 2023-12-11 at 9:45am.