AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Old 2008-05-09, 10:46am
I speak Murrini!

Default Hot Nipple Question with picture - Help!!!

Sorry about the "baited" title...but I got your attention, didn't I?

I'm doing the "upgrade from a Hot Head" brain-swelling research...I have a question regarding the Mini CC (my intended new torch) that I hope someone can help answer quickly!

I see that the Mini CC Torches available for purchase at every Distributor have the "nipple" ends for attaching the hoses - with a clamp, no less! This is just mind-boggling (and frightening!) to me! Although some folks may be A-OK with this set up, it simply will drive me way out of my comfort zone, so settling for the "hose clamp" method really is sort of out of the question.

I understand that these "nipple" couplings can be "machined" in order to accommodate a threaded hose end, but I don't even know where to begin having that done - or any idea what the cost would be! Has anyone done this to their Mini CC? Can you give me an idea of what the cost would be?

Although I live in an area of So. Cal (San Gabriel Valley) that has a lot of "industrial" company-for-hire options, I've already had one bad experience trying to pay someone to "machine" something for me which took weeks of being ignored ('cuz my job was just "too little") and practically daily visits just to get my parts back - unfinished! Does anyone know "someone" in the area (or a place I can ship) to have this accomplished, or better yet:

DOES ANYONE HAVE A GENTLY USED MINI CC, WITH THE MACHINED NIPPLES, THAT THEY'D CARE TO SELL TO LITTLE OLD ME?

Any advice and guidence would be sincerely appreciated. Please feel free to post in this thread, PM me, or both!

With much appreciation!
DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-05-09, 10:59am

Hi. I'm on a mini cc with clamps and if you saw what Maine Oxy's safety guru did on tightening the clamps that hold the hose on, you would have no worries.

Can't help with your nipple question but can speak positively for the clamps.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2008-05-09, 11:02am
Cancer SUCKS!

Clamps here too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-05-09, 11:33am

In my experience, the hose barb/clamp method is quite reliable and safe. If anything does go wrong, it is easier to see than a failure in a threaded connection. The most common error is over tightening the clamp. You can always tighten if it leaks. A half turn beyond snug is plenty. It's not a bad idea to check for leaks with soapy water periodically. Some folks do it every session. When the day comes that you want to remove the hose, you will see how well it works. Even with the clamp completely removed it is difficult to get the hose off! I have resorted to cutting the hose more than once. If, after some time you worry about deterioration at the connection, you can cut off an inch of hose and make a new one.

Last edited by Full Frontal Newbie; 2008-05-09 at 11:38am.
Old 2008-05-09, 11:39am
Don't be a zombie...

I've had 9 different torches within 10 years all have seen daily use with the nipple fitting. You really don't need to worry about this. Tighten them and they are good.
Old 2008-05-09, 11:54am
Macaw Mamma

No problems with any of my nipples either, just slide the hose onto each the nipple make sure it is good and snug and tighten the clamp....

I have only had 1 (out of 6) torch that had the machine end. The nipple end is not an issue... I agree with the others, even when you take the clamp off it is hard to get the hose off

Congrats on upgrading.... you will love it!

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2008-05-09, 12:02pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Maybe I need to just "grow a set" and stop being such a sissy about the whole "clamp" thing - at least for now! I'm getting kind of anxious about the whole "upgrade" thing - I'll be out of MAPP soon, and it's time to make a decision! Arrgghhh!!!!

Hugs to all,
DeAnne in CA

Old 2008-05-09, 12:13pm
birdergirl ~o~

Deanne,
Im right behind, my new Mini is still in the box!
Still waiting on the OxyCon, regulators and flashback arrestors!
It will be late summer before I have to start biting my nails !

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-05-09, 12:19pm
Trying to Hope!

You can take it in to the wqelding shop and have it clampwed on with metal clamps just for that

Maybe have threaded ends put on a shorter piece of hose so its more portable if you like.
Wendy

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-05-09, 12:36pm
I'm a lilac!

Every torch I've ever used since my old trusty Hot Head has had the "nipple" (hose barb) style connections.

One thing to keep in mind is that unlike the Hot Head, these torches run on low pressures which are set at the regulators, so the hose is not subjected to high pressure.

Old 2008-05-09, 1:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc2 View Post
I don't like this torch, the knobs on it get hot. CC2
Yes, they sure do! And, oddly enough, when I'm torching boro, they don't get anywhere near as hot. Just that little difference in the larger, longer flame makes a big difference. The knobs are cooler when I'm working boro. I understand why but it still seems backwards.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2008-05-09, 1:29pm
PyronamixK

The longer you can run your candles out from the face of the torch, the further from the face ignition of the fuel and oxygen) takes place, and the less heat the face of the torch takes on. The less heat the face takes on, the less heat travels back along the brass body construction to the knobs. This is why the knobs are not as hot when working boro - because you typically run longer candles to work boro.

Keep in mind that that torch consumes much more oxygen than other seven jet torches (like the Minor or Bobcat). Where other torches can work boro on 7-8 LPM, the Mini CC really needs 10-11 LPM. On a 5 LPM concentrator, you may not be able to get long enough candles to keep the knobs cool. If you are running a tank, you will go through a lot of oxygen just to get the 3/8" long candles Carlisle recommends for working soft glass on that torch.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2008-05-09 at 1:32pm. Reason: hit post before finished
Old 2008-05-09, 1:35pm
I'm a lilac!

I run my Mini on one medical concentrator and get as much heat as I do out of my Minor, but with a little broader flame. It definitely outperforms the Minor on two concentrators, though, so I can tell it's not working to full potential with just one. It's oddly "gentle" for as hot as it is... it doesn't burn out dichro as readily as the Minor or the center fire on the Barracuda will. The knobs do heat up - I heard that they don't, as much, on the newer models, but the three I have are all 2-3 years old.

Old 2008-05-09, 6:01pm
Ad astra per aspera

I'm puzzled as to what potential problems you think there might be? I've had my Midrange clamped onto the hose barbs with the same piece of hose and the same clamps for 8 years now. No problems whatsoever.

Ooops, I take that back! When we moved 3 years ago, I replaced the hoses. They were so well attached that I had to cut the clamps with dykes, then slice the hose ends off the barbs with an Xacto knife. Attached the new hoses, tightened down the clamps and I've been rocking again for the last 3 years. So that's 5 years the first time, 3 years the second time. Plus another 3 years in the beginning with a Minor. (I moved the same hoses over to my Midrange.)

Last edited by DesertDreamer; 2008-05-09 at 6:06pm.
Old 2008-05-09, 6:32pm
Gentleman of Leisure

While barbed connectors (nipples) and clamps are a no-no on high pressure applications such as a HOT HEAD and bulk tank, there is absolutely no reason not to use them in low pressure applications such as found on Mini CC.... The barbed connection is very popular and found on a large number of popular torches manufactured for lampworking to day... A combination of correct barbed connector, proper hose size and proper clamp makes it as safe as a threaded connection....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-05-09, 9:18pm
I speak Murrini!

OK folks, you talked me into it! I guess I'm carrying my fear a bit too far - and clearly, with hoses so tightly fit that it take cutters to get them off, I'm probably making it more than what it needs to be!

Thanks for all the encouragement and hand-holding....I really appreciate it!

DeAnne in CA

Old 2008-05-15, 12:29pm

Just a lil more food for thought... most car fuel lines are held on with the same clamps.
Old 2008-05-16, 8:08am

I have been off the my Mini CC torch for a while. I have spent the last week on the torch a few hours a night, and the whole hot knob issue is really bothering me. The propane knob (red) is hot by the end of the session. I can tolerate it just enough to shut down the propane. I am running and m-20 at 7 on the setting (although I am not sure if this is a LPM measurement) with my propane at 4 psi. Are there adjustments that can be made to these setting to keep the know cooler. My candles are running at about 3/8", and any longer and I get to boiling the glass too much. Any help would be great.

Joyce

Last edited by DFS; 2008-05-16 at 8:08am. Reason: Forgot to include my name.
Old 2008-05-17, 3:08pm
PyronamixK

What do the tips of your candles look like? At 7 LPM, you should be able to run 3/8" neutral candles (mostly blue with some white/yellow tips) - unless you have poor purity and the flame is really in reduction. Running a reduction flame would cause overheating and scumming. It would not surprise me to find out that your concentrator is putting out low purity. My M-20 does (extremely low, in fact).
Old 2008-05-18, 6:24pm

My candles are exactly as you described above. I upped the oxygen yesterday, and tried a larger flame, but that only slightly reduced the heat issue. No scumming problems at all just the heat issue. I am beginning to think I might just have to live with it. Is there any potential issue if I run the concentrator at 8-9 lpm with the 3/8" candles? Thanks for your help.