No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2020-04-05, 7:01pm
Catnip Pusher

Default Ventilation for Boro

Do you need stronger ventilation to work boro? Does it give off more fumes than soft glass?

I recently tried doing a bit of boro work - some small (1/2") cabs for PMC. After only an hour I had a tremendous headache. So either my ventilation isn't good enough for boro, or the boro glasses I got are crap.

Aimee
Old 2020-05-02, 12:50pm

Not sure if you're still around, but yes you need stronger ventilation for Boro. It requires a hotter flame meaning bigger fire, and a LOT of the colors that come from boro require hitter flame which means off gassing is a much bigger concern. Colors in soft glass off gas a bunch also, but with a bigger, hotter, more intense flame, you're really pushing those minerals inside the glass to a higher temp causing much more off gassing.
Old 2020-05-02, 7:08pm
Catnip Pusher

Thanks for the reply! I had a feeling that was the case - guess I need an upgrade to my ventilation before I hit the boro again.

Does anyone make clip-on type glasses for boro work? The fit-overs I bought (I have to wear prescription glasses) are very big and bulky.

Aimee
Old 2020-05-02, 10:41pm

I purchased a pair of slip overs from Wale Apparatus which are rather large, but they really do fit over my prescriptions very well. If you're interested in them, here is a LINK. I purchased the B3-Series and with the light amount of lamp working I've done at classes and other artists studio, they work very well.

Otherwise, Devardi Glass sells clip-on ones that work pretty well if clipped on over Didymium glasses (Assuming you have a pair on hand from soft glass), linked HERE. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and it's the second from the bottom. I just purchased their soft glass shades from there, since I already have a really nice pair of boro glasses.

Also, if you're interested, you can talk to your optometrist about getting prescription didymium glasses. They can be quite pricey, but we are talking about your eyes here. One of the most important parts of our bodies.

Last edited by iBlackSunday; 2020-05-02 at 10:46pm.
Old 2020-05-02, 11:32pm
Catnip Pusher

Thank you! Helpful info & links.

Aimee