Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-11-13, 2:48pm
Trying to Hope!

Default Ideas How to Build a hot pot for flower petals

I want to do a cover for my hot plate to keep my petals super hot

I wanted to see what ideas others might have..

Heres My ideas I have a 700 degree hot plate from hp scientific but the tops of the petals still get cold sometimes I am aiming to keep the whole petal hot at the same temp

1 idea is cut my fiber blanket from my hot head days and cover it in foil lay it on top of the beads or petals but I am afraid it will start to smell with the hot plate being so hot.

another idea is to get a terra cotta flower pot cover it in fiberblanket and add a handle to sit on top of the hot plate to contaibn the heat inside a little more

Which would you do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy Here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-11-13, 4:17pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

I like the flowerpot idea

Jenny

Old 2008-11-13, 4:34pm
Mary Lockwood

I tried the flower pot saucer idea and it exploded. Just be prepared. LOL

I wasn't using mine as a lid, I have one of the laboratory hotplates too, a 4 inch round metal surface that is supposed to hit 750F in 8 minutes. There is no knob, it just plugs in and goes up to its max temp.

My problem was I didn't want the stuff I had sitting on it rolling around, so I put the terra cotta saucer on it so I'd have a rim to catch murrini and stuff. Well, I had put it on the hotplate and the hotplate ramped up to temp too fast or something because the saucer exploded and all the chips I had in it flew everywhere.

Not sure what I could have done differently, but that's my experience with that.

I think a metal lid off something might be a better plan. Like an old metal canister lid or something of that sort.

I had used that terra cotta saucer in my kiln plenty of times with no episode or even cracking. It was totally unexpected when it exploded. I almost fell backwards off my seat.

~~Mary

Old 2008-11-13, 4:37pm
Wahwahbabypants

Mary I wonder if your terracotta pot just thermal shocked?? I use a saucer in my kiln and take it up to 1600 without shattering. But I do a controlled climb up. Every once in a while one will crack but never shatter... and liquid glass gets dropped into it. The ones from Italy are better quality than the Mexican ones....
Old 2008-11-13, 4:39pm
Mary Lockwood

Oh yes, it was definitely thermal shock. It's just that because she has the same style of hotplate that I have, I wanted her to be careful of it. Maybe with lining the terra cotta with fiber blanket, it will eliminate some of that. These hotplates come up to temp so flippin' fast...it's crazy!

Thanks for posting though, I didn't want to give the wrong impression.

Old 2008-11-13, 4:49pm
Certified Glassaholic!

maybe use a pyrex dish or something like that?

Old 2008-11-13, 4:49pm

You know, I just purchased a ceramic heater from Sally's Beauty Supply and I LOVE it. They are $69.95. If you have the funds, they are so worth it. I too make flower petals and I like to preheat my dichro too and it just has made my life so much easier. I know that wasn't really your question, but I thought I would throw that in.

Old 2008-11-13, 4:59pm

A large glass petri dish would work, or maybe a large beaker. You can get those form any scientific supply co.

We heat those on hot plates a lot with no explosions I don't know if that will accomplish what you want; you'll just have to try it.
Old 2008-11-13, 5:32pm
Trying to Hope!

I nixed the terra cotta idea hate exploding things

I took a piece of fiber blanket and covered it in foil and made a foikl handle to make a shallow bowl kinds shape then made my petals stuck them on the hot plate and then set the little foil hat on top of them.

Corals stayed dark grey and Fish pink stayed transperant so thats what i was going for No more exploding petels YAY! I will post a pic of the monsteroud flower I made tomorrow

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

Old 2008-11-13, 7:45pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Too cool of an idea!!! I was wondering if it was worth it to get a petal puller cuz i had no idea how I was going to keep the durn things hot but this helps!!!! i will check Sally's tomorrow I have one right down the street. TTFN

Old 2008-11-14, 7:52am

I've been using the ceramic heater from the beauty supply place for years to heat rods. For small structural parts, murrini, etc, I put a strip of metal that's about 2 X 3 inches in the bottom (to keep the glass bits from sticking) and lay the pieces in on top of the strip before I heat it up. Everything reaches a good operating temp and you can retrieve the parts either with a punty or heated forceps. You can still heat rod tips in the front part as well while you're working.

Robert
Old 2008-11-14, 7:58am

The ceramic heater gets hot enough that glass will stick. The graphite paddle fits pretty well, and you have a handle so you can easily pull it out to pick up the hot pieces.

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-11-14, 8:23am

The thin (1.5mm) brass sheet conducts the heat well and keeps the glass from sticking. I also keep a piece of hardware cloth on the bottom of the heater to keep glass rods from contacting the ceramic surface and sticking.

Robert
Old 2008-11-14, 8:36am
Trying to Hope!

I will have to keep an eye out for a heater next time we find one.

I like my little hot plate too tho its about 6 by 6 inches and the top is a metal i think not sure what kind but it gets hot fast and works great

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

Old 2008-11-14, 8:47am
Scientific Glass Girl

try to get ahold of a piece of quartz sheet glass. it definitely won't tack to the hot plate.

Old 2009-01-12, 9:04am

One suggestion. If you have a hot plate that has only an ON/OFF setting, there is a thing you can buy at Harbor Freight for $15 that will help. You plug the hot plate into it, it then plugs into the wall.

The device has an OFF/ON/VARIABLE 3-position switch. It also has a knob that you turn to control the setting in the variable position. This way you can control the heat from 0-100%.

I can't find it on their website but I was just there the other day and they have tons.
Old 2009-01-12, 9:09am
Trying to Hope!

I have a 700 degree hot plate from hp scientific and I ended up cutting a chunk of fiber blanket and wrapping it in foil in a dome like shape that sits on top of the hotplate part

Works great keeps corals grey and no more shocking petals

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

Old 2009-01-12, 9:47am
ManBearPig

The answer to this question may be obvious, but I'll ask anyways...

Why not just put them into your kiln and take them out when you are ready to use them?

Old 2009-01-12, 9:50am
Trying to Hope!

My kiln door is little and hard to get into and the bottom near the door wasnt as hot as I would have liked.

I really wish i would have chosen a diffrent kiln then the one i got soething with a higher bead door or lower elements or something

Etsy Here
Ebay Here