Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-07, 9:18am

Default compatibility problems with Reichenbach

I was wondering if anyone else has had any compatibility issues with using Reichenbach with other glass? I recently made a set of beads using just dots and dabs of Reichenbach on a Czech glass base. I noticed a tiny crack in one bead and upon inspection found others. It seems only some colors caused a problem.
Here's the set. You can see the crack on the righthand center bead.
Unfortunately I had this set listed for days when I noticed the cracks and have refunded the money of the winning bidder with an explanation.

I've used a fair amount of Reichenbach on Effetre with no problems, but mostly the pinks and purples. Some of the beads in this set have R. pinks and purples and no cracks.

Any other discoveries?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-01-07, 9:22am

looks like the base is the czech black? That has a coe of 108. You'll likely always have issues with the 96coe on it in such large quantities.

PS. the czeck black doesn't even like the czech 104coe colors long term.

A woman can't be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multi-national corporations can make decisions affecting all mankind without regulation.
Old 2007-01-07, 9:27am

I'm sorry, I should have clarified. It's Czech amethyst transparent.

Old 2007-01-07, 9:31am

okay if its the dark amethyst (20082) or medium dark (20062) I had troubles with it when I used it with too much opaque. It also didn't like any of the 96 coe frits used heavily. It was issues such as this that made me branch out from the czech glass to begin with, so much of the line doesn't even like the line even with the close coe's.

edit to add. It seems to think more than a few sparce spots of the 96 coe frits not melted in as heavy and developed checking on me.

A woman can't be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multi-national corporations can make decisions affecting all mankind without regulation.

Last edited by misfit; 2007-01-07 at 9:38am.
Old 2007-01-07, 10:17am
maybe tomorrow

If I'm seeing it properly, it looks like the crack is down the mandrel line? If so, it may actually be thermal.

Old 2007-01-07, 10:59am
FatCat Mama

I think the culprit may be the Czech. Much as I love the colors I got in my sampler, I decided not to order any more simply because of all the cracking (maybe with 50% of the beads) I had. I ended up just making single-color beads with the glass.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2007-01-07, 11:02am
Rose colored glasses…√

I'm with others, I think the Czech is the problem. I've had so many of my beads made with Czech glass crack. It's really sad, since they have so many truly beautiful colors.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2007-01-07, 11:11am

Thanks for all your input. It was the dark amethyst- which is a big relief to me because I've sold other sets made with light amethyst. Had them around for a while with no cracking, but it sure had me worried.

Yes, Toni, the cracks are down the mandrel line, but they all went directly into a hot kiln. And there ended up being 3 beads with cracks, all with R. colors other than pink or purple.

I know I've had problems with the Czech aqua cracking before. So, I guess it's chuck the Czech, eh?

Old 2007-01-07, 12:52pm

The czech is what I learned on and I love it. Its a pain in the but sometimes and there are definately some things about each of the colors to learn. The dark amethyst does not like most opaque colors- they sink into it more than they do other transparents, which ussually just force the opaque colors to spread. It also does not much care for glass with a different stiffness. None of the czech line is really wild about the furnace glass. I'd not toss it. I found that most of it works well for surface decoration on the italian glass and it can always become single color beads if all else fails.

Old 2007-01-07, 6:49pm

It's definitely the Check glass! Anytime I've ever used Reichenbach with Check, the beads crack. Any color of Check and any amount of Reichenbach. The 2 just do NOT mix!!

I'm sorry about your beads. They're pretty!!

Cany