Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-07, 2:38pm
Senior Moment

Default How to press ripple beads properly

Hi folks:

I'm having a bit of a prob with my ripple beads. Specifically, when I press them I lose the depth. As you can see below, the edges, which were compressed, not pressed, have nice depth. But the middle is totally flat.

Name:  IMG_5726-001.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  40.4 KB

Are my ripples not deep enough? Should I encase them thicker? What am I doing wrong?

Thanx,
Alli

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-04-07, 3:04pm

I cant help you Alli, but that is a nice bead.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

e-mail:
Old 2013-04-07, 3:13pm
Tweedle Dumb

More clear would be my first plan of attack.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2013-04-07, 3:25pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I find it only works for me if I am making thicker beads with a thicker encasement.

Old 2013-04-07, 3:30pm
Senior Moment

Ok, thicker beads, thicker encasement. Will give that go tonite!

And thank you Bob

Thanx folks!
Alli

Old 2013-04-08, 9:43pm
Pincel de Fuego

Idk, I think that bead is GORGEOUS!

/
/
Old 2013-04-09, 4:03am
Senior Moment

Thanx Gabi

I'm still doing something wrong tho. Doubled the layers of silver glass, then doubled the layers of clear, and the ripples are more smooshed than ever. So let me ask this; how cool do you let the cut glass get before you encase? Maybe I'm encasing it a bit too warm? It looks ok when first encased tho.

Old 2013-04-09, 4:39am
Ezzy

I'm not sure what a ripple bead is; because of the reference to cutting the glass. When I looked at your picture I thought you meant a tornado bead. I'm not sure what I'd do to get more depth in a ripple since I'm not sure what it is.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2013-04-09, 5:54am
Senior Moment

Wasn't sure what to call them; went with ripple because of this thread: http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...ghlight=ripple

If you look at Elizabeth Bead's signature style or Joe's (AvenueBead) focal in that thread, that is the effect I'm not succeeding at. I can get the side ripples, but the front ones always smoosh down, and there is no depth to the cuts.

The technique is also in GemsinBloom's tutorials, but doesn't mention a name or how to keep the depth in the cuts either.

HTH!
Alli

Old 2013-04-09, 6:03am
Pincel de Fuego

I'm not sure what you mean either. Are you trying to get the bead to have colored ripples inside by encasing? I would suggest to add the clear on in separated ridges and let them melt in, that would make your colored edges rise, if you just keep adding clear in layers nothing will happen with your ripples? Does this make any sense? Is this what you're trying to do?

/
/
Old 2013-04-09, 6:19am
Jacqueline Parkes

Maybe you are pressing when the bead is too hot.

Old 2013-04-09, 8:57am
Ezzy

Ahh, the person who taught me that technique calls is a Baleen. I've seen others calling it a ripple and it's certainly not the tornado I thought you were trying to describe. They can be just as lovely unpressed.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2013-04-09, 11:44am
Slogan Challenged...

I don't think you need to double your base glass of silver, just the encasement. You would be trying to press the clear into shape but the core which is cooler stays intact? Still a gorgeous bead but mess with it if you want to....

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-04-10, 8:28am

Agreed on the too hot assessment.

Same thing happens with encased florals. You have to press in stages. Deep heat, let he outside firm up, press a little - repeat.

When it's really hot and you press all at once, the middle gets thinned out and distorted more.