Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2015-06-08, 7:51am

Default Please help me with new torch!

I have only used a mini cc so don't know much about other torches. My plan is to make small to medium pendants and marbles and also some spoons.

I will be using propane and tanked oxy

Torches I was considering:
Nortel minor
Gtt bobcat
Carlisle mini cc

I was told to stay away from the cheaper nortel torches but I was also told it's a great beginner torch

I've heard great things about the bobcat but have also heard that it can be high maintenance and can get carbon buildup which may not be good for a beginner.

I have heard mostly all good things about mini cc besides some complaining about heat and bushy flame

I have about 250$ to spend. If you can recommend one of these torches or maybe something I didn't list that would be great. I'm having a hard time choosing a torch.
Old 2015-06-08, 8:05am

I have both a mini CC and a Nortel Mega minor and have used both for about 8 years with no problems. But it sounds like you'll be working in boro, so can't help you there. But with tanked oxygen, you should be able to do what you want with either of those torches, although it would be faster with a bigger torch. Sorry I can't provide more precise info!

Mimi
Old 2015-06-08, 1:25pm

Anyone else have any help?
Old 2015-06-08, 3:55pm
Marble Lover

A Bethlehem Alpha would be a good choice, too. Here's a thread that may help:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=254451

The Alpha will have no trouble melting Boro, especially with tanked. I have a Bravo and the Alpha center is on an M20 OxyCon and does very well by itself.

-BEP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-06-11, 9:32am
kinda torching....

GTT Lynx or cheetah. Its a bit more expensive but you won't out grow it as quickly, and when you do they sell used for almost retail so.stones more depending on the market

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-06-11, 9:38am

It is not hard to keep the Bobcat clean - just pay attention to your flame chemistry and clean the ports with the wire provided after you shut down for the day.

I don't use tanked oxy, but on concentrators, I am not sure my Bobcat would be the torch of choice for bigger pieces. It is great for small beads, but I think a Lynx would be better.
Old 2015-06-11, 9:40am

Sorry, did not see your budget. I think a Lynx is out for that. Maybe a used Nortel Midrange? I got a Midrange plus in the garage sale here for $200 a few years ago.
Old 2015-06-11, 9:56am
I fart diamonds

Of the 4 that you've named, with your setup & budget, the Bobcat will be the best for your plans. It's the hottest of the 4 and you can actually work quite large on a Bobcat, especially with tanked oxy. The older model (with attached hoses) is basically the same as a Lynx, without the supplemental oxygen. The newer model has been tweaked to make it more oxy efficient, but is still hotter than the others.

Old 2015-06-11, 9:59am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepnewt View Post
A Bethlehem Alpha would be a good choice, too. Here's a thread that may help:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=254451

The Alpha will have no trouble melting Boro, especially with tanked. I have a Bravo and the Alpha center is on an M20 OxyCon and does very well by itself.

-BEP
This would be my second choice. Also, a nice, hot torch. (Not as hot as the Bobcat, though.)

Old 2015-06-11, 12:07pm

i agree with the other.

but it sound like with pendant, marbles, and spoon your most likely going to be working all boro. and if thats the case i would get a national 3ab hand torch with a HTC-2 tip for wider flame and OX-3 for a narrow flame for about $150 and use a L-bracket and hose clamp to mount it.

down side over the torch your looking at--- doesn't work soft glass well, louder hiss, and have to change the tip to go from wide to narrow flame.

plus over the torch your looking at--- can do everything they can do plus hotter. When you are ready to move up to a bigger torch so you bigger thing a little while later your going to need a hand torch for joints and you will already have one. they pre-mix and most will say it easier to fume off pre-mix.

Living the dream rocking a GTT Mirage and or 40mm Herbert Arnold J Howard Style with a home fill system in south central Wisconsin