Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2010-04-11, 1:55pm
MacGalver

Default Make Your Own Button Mandrels!

I've finally written a tutorial describing my Button Maker Mandrel System, and it is ready for purchase!

This 35-page tutorial teaches you how to make a very versatile Button Mandrel for 2-hole, 3-hole or 4-hole buttons in sizes from 1/2" to 3-1/2" diameter (12 variations in all).

Anybody can make this system. Guaranteed!

No special tools or skills are required, and the mandrels are constructed from very readily available materials. This mandrel holder system is so simple to construct, if you buy the tutorial and honestly don't think you can do it yourself, I will make one for you and ship it to you for a very minimal cost (details in the resource section of the tut).

Step-by-step instructions, over 100 illustrations, plus a 6 page introduction to successful button making. Cost will be $15.00, delivered as a pdf file.

Purchase through this link for a 25% discount!

http://fritdiva.homestead.com/button-tutorial.html

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Frit Diva; 2013-04-10 at 11:36am. Reason: update purchase link
Old 2010-04-11, 5:14pm
Glassy Broad :-)

Nice Jo!!! I've been waiting for this for a while now!!!
Is it Monday yet?
Nita

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-04-11, 5:17pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I got the privilege of being a proof reader for Jo's tutorial. It truly is and ingenious and inexpensive way to make button mandrels.. I wish I had thought of this!!! The directions are very clear, good pics and diagrams, simple and easy to get materials and not a lot of work to construct ... and simple to use as well.. you only need to make one of each style and you can make multiple buttons in one sitting from your mandrel holder... Great job Jo!!!

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-04-11, 5:20pm
it is what it is......

oh this sounds fantastic jo!

Old 2010-04-11, 5:25pm
MacGalver

Thanks you guys.... I really appreciate your interest!

Old 2010-04-11, 8:31pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Sorry for the dumb question but what is a button mandrel?

Old 2010-04-11, 9:17pm
MacGalver

Thanks for asking ~ but there are no dumb questions, remember?

A button mandrel is a device that allows you make lampwork buttons by holding multiple steel bead mandrels. Most of the commercial ones hold either 2 or 4 steel mandrels and you build your button the same way you would build a disk bead, but you end up with more holes.

The difference of this system is that you can position your mandrels pretty much anyway you want, so you can make really big buttons, really small buttons, 3-hole buttons, 2-hole buttons, 4-hole buttons, etc. Hope that answers your question!

Jo

Old 2010-04-11, 9:20pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Thank you for the detailed answer! Sounds like a wonderful tool/tutorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrlartist View Post
Thanks for asking ~ but there are no dumb questions, remember?

A button mandrel is a device that allows you make lampwork buttons by holding multiple steel bead mandrels. Most of the commercial ones hold either 2 or 4 steel mandrels and you build your button the same way you would build a disk bead, but you end up with more holes.

The difference of this system is that you can position your mandrels pretty much anyway you want, so you can make really big buttons, really small buttons, 3-hole buttons, 2-hole buttons, 4-hole buttons, etc. Hope that answers your question!

Jo

Old 2010-04-11, 10:08pm
Broken

Ohhh I make a lot of buttons, mainly 2 holed. Can you make teeny buttons easily? Are there any supplies I'd have a hard time finding in canada?

Old 2010-04-11, 10:13pm
MacGalver

Nicker, the smallest size is about 1/2" inch and the largest is over 3" diameter. It's super quick to change out the mandrels. Supplies needed are very readily available and very cheap. For a small 2 hole mandrel, the cost is under 50 cents.

Old 2010-04-11, 10:16pm
Broken

I almost hesitate to ask this and if you don't want to answer it's ok.

Does the whole thing go in the kiln? I don't like the kind that I have to take apart to get the piece in the kiln.

Old 2010-04-11, 10:19pm
MacGalver

I don't mind answering, Nicker. Yes, you do remove the mandrels from the holder to put the button into the kiln. However, it's designed so it is VERY easy to get them out. I don't like the commercial ones for that very reason.

Old 2010-04-12, 4:12am
sunscreen me baby

Sounds like a very clever tutorial! Love seeing the fresh ideas.

~

Old 2010-04-12, 4:18am
Who me?

I'm in - I will PM you. I totally support new ideas for doing things ourselves.

Off topic, but the thing that bothers me is copycats of tools - folks taking someone else's idea and making the same thing with little or no changes.
Old 2010-04-12, 7:36am
MacGalver

Thanks everybody for your kind words! I love making my own tools, nice to see other folks feel the same. If you have questions, please feel free to ask...

If you sent me a PM, I have responded by now.

If you want to buy the tut, just PM me for my paypal address, or send me your paypal addy in a PM and I will respond with an invoice.

Happy Monday!

Jo

Old 2010-04-12, 8:15am
Who me?

Just got the tutorial and scanned it - absolutely ingenious! Thanks, and hope you sell many more.
Old 2010-04-12, 9:20am
MacGalver

Thanks Linda, glad you like it!

Everybody~
I have sent all the tuts ordered so far. Please let me know if you have not received yours.

Old 2010-04-12, 9:48am

Just got this tutorial and it is so ingenious it hurts!!

Highly recommended.

Well done Jo and thank you for the very quick response.

Rob
Old 2010-04-12, 10:26am

can I still use an electric mandrel spinner with this tool?

and also ......
Old 2010-04-12, 10:40am
MacGalver

Wow, good question~ I have an EMS, too, and I love it, but it never occurred to me to try to combine the two tools.

I don't honestly think it would work very well.... I think it would kind of be like putting a handle onto a handle, if that makes any sense. Also, the Button Maker handle is about 8mm in diameter, so I don't really think it would be compatible with the standard electric mandrel spinner. Thanks for asking!

Jo

Last edited by Frit Diva; 2010-04-12 at 2:46pm.
Old 2010-04-12, 2:49pm
MacGalver

Thanks again for all the kind comments!

All ordered tuts have been sent. If you haven't gotten yours, please let me know.

Jo

Old 2010-04-12, 3:29pm

I just sent you an email .
Old 2010-04-12, 4:43pm
MacGalver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
...so ingenious it hurts!! Highly recommended.

Rob

Thanks Rob! Can I quote you? LOL

I really do appreciate everybody's enthusiasm, it means a lot to me.

All caught up on orders sent, let me know if you have not received yours.

Jo

Old 2010-04-12, 4:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrlartist View Post
Thanks Rob! Can I quote you? LOL

Jo
Be my guest

Rob.
Old 2010-04-12, 7:52pm
MacGalver

I think I will! LOL

Old 2010-04-12, 10:08pm
MacGalver

Signing off for the night... any orders sent over night will be delivered in the a.m.

Thanks again for the great response!

Jo

Old 2010-04-12, 11:02pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Just got mine and I have to say "ingenious" IS the only way to describe this tutorial!

Not only does this tutorial explain how to make the button mandrels but it includes tips on how to make your actual button. I have to say some of those tips are just as ingenious, I sure wouldn't have thought of them!

Everyone should get this tutorial, even if you thought you never wanted to make a button. The "Coolness Factor" is well worth the price alone!

Good Job Jo, I Love it!
Old 2010-04-13, 2:51am
Serenity Now!

Looks fab! Just sent you an e-mail with my PP addy.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2010-04-13, 8:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrr View Post
Just got mine and I have to say "ingenious" IS the only way to describe this tutorial!

Not only does this tutorial explain how to make the button mandrels but it includes tips on how to make your actual button. I have to say some of those tips are just as ingenious, I sure wouldn't have thought of them!

Everyone should get this tutorial, even if you thought you never wanted to make a button. The "Coolness Factor" is well worth the price alone!

Good Job Jo, I Love it!
Yes, all the above AND she offers to make them for you if you don't feel that you can (at a very reasonable price I must say).
Old 2010-04-13, 9:17am
Serenity Now!

Amazingly, incredibly and totally wonderful! Thanks so much.....

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here: