Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-03, 1:36am
Naysayer

Default Messy Khaki - Alternative?

So sadly read the email that they're going to discontinue some colors including khaki because there are similar glasses made by other companies.

Ok what?

I loooooooove khaki, it's so cool with reactions with silver glass and foil, plus it's such a nice base when I want that beige color.

"Discontinued Messy Colors

Our resellers have given feedback that it is costly to carry the entire Messy Color line since some of the colors sell so slowly and are essentially duplicated by other manufacturers.

In addition, we have found our energies tied up in reproducing some difficult-to-melt and slow selling colors. We are looking forward to melting new & exciting colors instead of replicating that which is already available.

We have decided to resolve this situation by discontinuing the following items:

511140 Lipstick
511223 Pumpkin
511479 Soylent
511505 French Blue
511512 Halong Bay
511571 Cornflower
511652 Count von Count
511653 Larkspur
511703 Butter Pecan
511717 Khaki
ALL stringers with the exception of Hades, Tuxedo, Clear, & Peace.

As we sell out of the above colors in 2011, we will not reproduce them.

Most of the above colors have equivalents available in the 104 palette."

- I agree with most others, but Halong is a fav too, I don't know of any other 'milky' blue? I love French Blue also.
Dang..
Old 2011-07-03, 1:14pm
Criatura Nocturna

Butter Pecan is on the list too, bummer. Time to stock up. Sorry, don't know of an alternative for Khaki, will keep it in mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Smoke & Mirrors. . .

Last edited by Hector; 2011-07-03 at 1:29pm.
Old 2011-07-04, 10:32am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
Butter Pecan is on the list too, bummer. Time to stock up. Sorry, don't know of an alternative for Khaki, will keep it in mind.
Now this is something I don't understand. What is out there that is similar to Butter Pecan?? Why are they getting rid of that one?
Old 2011-07-04, 11:08am
Live and Let Live

Kathy (?) from CIM responded in a Bathroom thread a couple weeks ago that Butter Pecan is very close to the CIM Ginger formula and they are keeping Ginger. Sometimes when they make a batch of Ginger, it turns out more like Butter Pecan, so we will probably see a Limited Run / 'odd lot' called Butter Pecan from time to time still, as a batch of Ginger goes wonky.

Old 2011-07-04, 10:45pm
Naysayer

Yeah that was the other part of the email, it's pretty long.

Here's the Butter Pecan part, that's the only one with an explanation.

What's the deal with discontinuing Butter Pecan?
"Butter Pecan & Ginger are similar formulae with differing amounts of selenium. In melting Ginger, we often get Butter Pecan. And in melting Butter Pecan, we often get Ginger. In the future, we plan to melt the Ginger formula, and when we get Butter Pecan, we will brand it as Butter Pecan Ltd Run. In this way we will reduce the number of expensive colors we produce, and the number of odd lots, and resellers will not be required to carry both Ginger & Butter Pecan. It is likely you will still be able to get a hold of Butter Pecan as a Ltd Run."

Just caught this on reading it again.
"Most of the above colors have equivalents available in the 104 palette."

Keyword 'most'...so maybe khaki doesn't have a brother from another mother.
Old 2011-07-04, 11:24pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
Kathy (?) from CIM responded in a Bathroom thread a couple weeks ago that Butter Pecan is very close to the CIM Ginger formula and they are keeping Ginger. Sometimes when they make a batch of Ginger, it turns out more like Butter Pecan, so we will probably see a Limited Run / 'odd lot' called Butter Pecan from time to time still, as a batch of Ginger goes wonky.
Oh thank goodness! I forgot about how similar Ginger is! lol

Is Khaki similar to Effetre Avocado or Sage Green? I've never used it but I have used plenty of the Effetre.

Last edited by Lisi; 2011-07-04 at 11:26pm.
Old 2011-07-05, 5:50am
Bravewarrior stumblinbatt

Bugger! ...to both Khaki & Butter Pecan.Although it's not looing to abysmal on the Butter Pecan front if the Ginger is more or less the same....sometimes

Lisi - I can't speak for Sage Green as I have never had any, but in my opinion CiM Khaki isn't like Effetre Avocado. I really cant think of anything that I would liken it too ...& I have a rather large stash of 'neutrals'.lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Oh thank goodness! I forgot about how similar Ginger is! lol

Is Khaki similar to Effetre Avocado or Sage Green? I've never used it but I have used plenty of the Effetre.

~
~
~
Old 2011-07-05, 6:27am
sunscreen me baby

I think khaki is similar to sage but not as warm toned. Sandstone from Vetrofond is quite similar too.

~

Old 2011-07-05, 12:56pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I'm really disappointed about the Cornflower and French Blue! Those colors are gorgeous! I don't have much experience with other lines, do any of you know what other glasses would be the substitute for those two colors? (Or should I go buy a ton of each so I never run out?)

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-07-05, 1:27pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
I'm really disappointed about the Cornflower and French Blue! Those colors are gorgeous! I don't have much experience with other lines, do any of you know what other glasses would be the substitute for those two colors? (Or should I go buy a ton of each so I never run out?)
My understanding is that the machine-pulled dark periwinkle from Effetre is really close to French Blue and Cornflower, is not very expensive, and that is the reason why these will not be made anymore.

-
-
Old 2011-07-05, 4:22pm
Naysayer

^It does look similar, but it won't act like Messy, those that love messy know what I mean, I love the streaks and 'ghost rings' you can get with French Blue and basically all CIM.
It's also like one of the med. or light lapis, I have to check my numbers/manufacturer, I haven't used it in years since I broke up with it for French Blue.
-Oh here, it's effetre light lapis
http://creationismessy.com/palette.aspx?id=7 page of blues, Aimee you'll see how close French Blue and Cornflower are to other blues, so a loss but not a total one.

Price wise it's not the same, French Blue is 4.75 a 1/4lb, the Periwinkle is 6.50..I don't see Cornflower anymore (?) and I don't remember price.

(I know you're just a messenger, just saying, not the same)

I was going through this, I see nothing similar and while it's not all 104 it's most.
http://frantznewsletter.com/color%20pallete/index.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I think khaki is similar to sage but not as warm toned. Sandstone from Vetrofond is quite similar too.
Similar but not same, it's lighter and like said just reacts so cool..oh this is driving me to drink, I love & need Khaki!
I'm going to make a fb page to save it lol.

Now is Sandstone is a one time thing right? I've never tried it because it looks just like ivory dark to me in the photo. Question is, does it react with silver/glasses like dark ivory? If so totally a no go for most of my production beads.
*big sigh*
Old 2011-07-05, 4:52pm
sunscreen me baby

nevermind, it appears I was wrong

~

Last edited by SuzyQ; 2011-07-06 at 3:56am.
Old 2011-07-05, 5:07pm
sunscreen me baby

~

Last edited by SuzyQ; 2011-07-06 at 3:56am.
Old 2011-07-05, 7:54pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
^It does look similar, but it won't act like Messy, those that love messy know what I mean, I love the streaks and 'ghost rings' you can get with French Blue and basically all CIM.
It's also like one of the med. or light lapis, I have to check my numbers/manufacturer, I haven't used it in years since I broke up with it for French Blue.
-Oh here, it's effetre light lapis
http://creationismessy.com/palette.aspx?id=7 page of blues, Aimee you'll see how close French Blue and Cornflower are to other blues, so a loss but not a total one.

Price wise it's not the same, French Blue is 4.75 a 1/4lb, the Periwinkle is 6.50..I don't see Cornflower anymore (?) and I don't remember price.

(I know you're just a messenger, just saying, not the same)

I was going through this, I see nothing similar and while it's not all 104 it's most.
http://frantznewsletter.com/color%20pallete/index.htm
I agree with all of this The reactions are different, the consistency is different, the surface finish after annealing is slightly different. I don't mind getting rid of Cornflower so much (although I love its reaction with silver) but I think I'm upset about the French Blue.

-
-
Old 2011-07-05, 7:57pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
Similar but not same, it's lighter and like said just reacts so cool..oh this is driving me to drink, I love & need Khaki!
I'm going to make a fb page to save it lol.

Now is Sandstone is a one time thing right? I've never tried it because it looks just like ivory dark to me in the photo. Question is, does it react with silver/glasses like dark ivory? If so totally a no go for most of my production beads.
*big sigh*
Sandstone is nothing at all like Khaki apart from the fact that they are both beigeish. Khaki has that weird, gelatinous quality to it and, I agree, it's really cool. Sandstone is like Ivory but browner and more virulently reactive to silver than Dark Ivory is without all the pretty webbing.

-
-
Old 2011-07-05, 8:23pm

I'm really disappointed in the Halong Bay, there is NOTHING out there like that color. Pumpkin is also a nice yellow colors. Darn it.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-07-05, 9:14pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

I miss pumpkin already. (sigh)

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2011-07-06, 3:55am
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
Sandstone is nothing at all like Khaki apart from the fact that they are both beigeish. Khaki has that weird, gelatinous quality to it and, I agree, it's really cool. Sandstone is like Ivory but browner and more virulently reactive to silver than Dark Ivory is without all the pretty webbing.
Alrighty then. I won't bother testing, thanks for saving my time Now I'm wondering what ivory tan looking glass I have been using that doesn't react with silver, lol.

~

Old 2011-07-06, 3:57am
sunscreen me baby

I really shouldn't read threads like this, lol. I have this craving for khaki and I'm pretty sure I still have the first couple pounds I ordered

~