Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-11, 9:28am
Crispy Critter

Default Need help with frit and silver combo, please

Alright, I SWEAR I used 4 completely different colors of frit. But from the following pix, it looks like I only used 2. Here's how I made the beads: light Effetre ivory base, rolled in silver foil and burned off. Rolled in frit, turned NG way low, melted in frit and squeezed. Reheated as needed to remove chill marks. So what the heck happened?
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-06-11, 9:29am
Crispy Critter

And here's R212 (all frits are from Val).
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-11, 9:30am
Crispy Critter

Here's Fuchsia Pink.
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-11, 9:31am
Crispy Critter

...aaaaaaaaaand here's Gold Purple. Why did the last 3 end up looking so much alike? The only way I could tell them apart was due to the different frit sizes.
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-11, 12:42pm
Piscean Fire Goddess

I think the last three don't like ivory all that much?

- SJS Glasswork & Creations
Exploring a philosophical fantasy world.
Old 2005-06-11, 12:50pm
Broken

Chris fuschia pink doesn't like ivory too much BUT try the same but over the soft violet or one of the opaque lavenders..yummyy

Old 2005-06-11, 1:23pm
Crispy Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinthe
I think the last three don't like ivory all that much?
I wonder how white would look. Does silver react with white?

Old 2005-06-11, 1:24pm
Crispy Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker
Chris fuschia pink doesn't like ivory too much BUT try the same but over the soft violet or one of the opaque lavenders..yummyy
Ooh, that does sound pretty...I'll have to try that.

Old 2005-06-11, 2:41pm
Satake Woman!

I don't believe silver reacts with white. And I know from experience how most frits turn brown or black on ivory. Bleh!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-06-11, 2:50pm
Piscean Fire Goddess

Silver does react with white

You get a golden effect to the area where the silver and white meet at the edge.

Here you can see what silver does on white

http://sjsglasswork.community-home.c...s/goldendreams

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

- SJS Glasswork & Creations
Exploring a philosophical fantasy world.
Old 2005-06-11, 2:56pm
Crispy Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinthe
Silver does react with white

You get a golden effect to the area where the silver and white meet at the edge.

Here you can see what silver does on white

http://sjsglasswork.community-home.c...s/goldendreams

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah
Ooh, I'll have to try that, too!

Old 2005-06-12, 9:59am
Glassy Lady

There are two things going on here. First, ivory reacts with many frits to produce a brown-black yucky looking color. Second, ivory reacts with silver to produce the grey silvered ivory effect. Put all three together and you get very similar looking beads, no matter what color frit you use. Try another base color. White is ok, but I also like sky blue, any light pink, opal yellow, uranium yellow, etc.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2005-06-13, 8:25pm
Crispy Critter

Here are some test beads, shown in side-by-side comparisons. Alex, I tried your suggestion of opal yellow on the left and on the right is the ivory bead. This first one has copper green frit.
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-13, 8:26pm
Crispy Critter

Fuschia Pink frit.
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-13, 8:27pm
Crispy Critter

And R-212.
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-13, 8:41pm
koregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdd
Alright, I SWEAR I used 4 completely different colors of frit. But from the following pix, it looks like I only used 2. Here's how I made the beads: light Effetre ivory base, rolled in silver foil and burned off. Rolled in frit, turned NG way low, melted in frit and squeezed. Reheated as needed to remove chill marks. So what the heck happened?
hmmmmmm my guess would be that some of the colors ate the others...you know how petroloum green and other greens take over on a bead...same kinda thing....some of the frits probably spread more and some sucked in more....I know some depending on the core color will sink in, whereas some core colors will cause some frits to spread over the bead

Old 2005-06-14, 3:43am
Satake Woman!

Wow, some great info here! Sarah, thanks for the picts, I had always thought white was nonreactive. Has anyone tried the silver lake frit from Val? All I get is white out of it....

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-06-15, 6:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmaw
Wow, some great info here! Sarah, thanks for the picts, I had always thought white was nonreactive. Has anyone tried the silver lake frit from Val? All I get is white out of it....
I LOVE the silver lake on black!!!
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-19, 6:05pm
odd lot addict

Try Copper Green, love it with silver foil and Val's Cherry Blossom Frit. Or just make your own frit library and try one bead in every color of glass you've got. Would be a great reference.

Jen
Old 2005-06-19, 9:54pm

And not all frits look good or react with silver. When you get a new color try 5 test beads and keep a file, I usually try it on silver/ivory, silver/ pink, and non silver white, opal yellow and copper green. The pinks do best not using silver, swirl them around on beads for great designs or mix them. And try them on silver over a transparent glass and then frit, usually a good result, realy cool effects to reduce the bead to bring out the silver. Good luck and show us your results and trials.

Last edited by beachbeads; 2005-06-19 at 9:56pm.