Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-01, 7:40pm

Default Filmy Diamond Clear

Can anyone help me with this problem? I have been making some BIG pendant beads. I am using a masher, and 104 effetre glass with the diamond clear. These beads are really big, and I do spend an hour or so on each bead.
Some beads end up with a "film" on the clear. Could that be from overworking?
I have had the same problem with the silver glasses, and I thought that might be a fuming issue or something. But today, I used regular glass, and had the same problem, WWWAAAA! It is discouraging to spend so much time on a bead, and have it end up "filmy", or dull, cloudy, matte, etc.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 2010-10-01, 7:58pm

Can you show us some pix?

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-10-01, 8:01pm

Unfortunately, I can't find the USB cord to my camera to put pics on the computer. Sorry!
Old 2010-10-01, 8:29pm

Which torch are you using - you may be reducing slightly?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-10-01, 8:50pm

I use a mega minor, natural gas, and an M15 oxycon. I tried turning down the
gas, but it happened still. Maybe I need to turn it down even more.
Old 2010-10-01, 8:55pm

Another thought then ... could it be the purity of your oxycon? M15 should be good ...

What pressure is your natural gas? It would be good to see a picture as I may be barking up the wrong tree here ... smile...

Anyway it wouldn't hurt to play around with your oxy and gas ratios and see if it makes a difference.

Old 2010-10-01, 9:40pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Will it go away if you reheat the area to a soft glow?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-10-02, 4:47am

Another thing that helped me was running my transparent glasses (especially my clears) through the dishwasher. This seems to remove all the tiny bits of oil and dust from the fine scratches. Also, remove all rubber bands and bundling with soft, fiber hair bands keeps the tension from making more scratches when pulling a rod out of the bundle.
Hope it helps.
Joan
Old 2010-10-02, 5:52am
no more

Gtg glass was awesome because they wrapped each lb in newspaper. I usually get clears in bundles of 5lbs, or 10kilos...
Lots of touching going on there. I try to leave things wrapped until they have to be opened, but its tough to ensure no scratches/finger prints, etc!

Thanks for tips! Clear 104 is a tough one lately!

Old 2010-10-02, 5:54am
Lampworkaholic!

There was a bad batch of DC out about a year ago. Problems were scum and cracking.

I just got my hands on some older DC and man I wish they could make that again. It is so beautiful.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-10-02, 10:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Will it go away if you reheat the area to a soft glow?
It hasn't, no.
Old 2010-10-02, 10:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Use a sharp oxidizing flame and heat the clear up really good - this "haze" should begin to disappear for you. I use a pretty oxidizing flame when working Diamond Clear.
I will definetly try again! Thanks!
Old 2010-10-02, 10:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by papimom View Post
Another thing that helped me was running my transparent glasses (especially my clears) through the dishwasher. This seems to remove all the tiny bits of oil and dust from the fine scratches. Also, remove all rubber bands and bundling with soft, fiber hair bands keeps the tension from making more scratches when pulling a rod out of the bundle.
Hope it helps.
Joan
GREAT IDEA! I clean the rods as I use them with window cleaner and my t shirt.
Old 2010-10-02, 11:04am

I don't have this problem with the smaller beads. Just the big ones that I spend alot of time on. Is it possible that diamond clear has a "limit" time on workability?
I will try all your suggestions. Thanks to all for being so helpful!
Old 2010-10-02, 12:42pm

WHO KNEW! suede leather?
Old 2010-10-02, 7:47pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Good tip there, Kimberly. Thank you!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-10-02, 10:42pm
He can do the origami

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstreet View Post
I don't have this problem with the smaller beads. Just the big ones that I spend alot of time on. Is it possible that diamond clear has a "limit" time on workability?
I will try all your suggestions. Thanks to all for being so helpful!
Admittedly I have not worked the latest batch of DC however I have used a lot of DC and tested some of the "bad batches". By test I mean TORTURE. I work the large rods of DC slow and cool at first and then rage them and I made very large off mandrel pieces. Marbles, implosions, vortexes etc. I would work the DC hot and long and with silver colors.

I could "force" DC to have an issue but this generally came from getting it too hot too fast at the very beginning of the work cycle. If I treated it nice and gentle at first, it didn't matter if I raged a piece white hot for an hour, I wouldn't have an issue with it afterward. Also... oxygen... LOTS of oxygen. You can silver fume DC quite readily.
Old 2010-10-04, 5:19pm

Thanks Otter. I will try that too. I bought a pound from sundance artglass about 3-4 months ago, so I have alot of it to practice with. Since my first post on this subject, I have used non silvered glass with DC. It did not turn yellow, but it stil is hazy, filmy, matte, etc.
Old 2010-10-04, 8:00pm

How much pressure are you getting on your natural gas set up? This sounds like a reduction issue to me, and with an oxycon that is more likely. But NG systems often run fairly low pressure. What does your flame look like? Sorry to ask such basic questions but sometimes we all have to be sure we are on the same page, lol!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-10-07, 7:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
How much pressure are you getting on your natural gas set up? This sounds like a reduction issue to me, and with an oxycon that is more likely. But NG systems often run fairly low pressure. What does your flame look like? Sorry to ask such basic questions but sometimes we all have to be sure we are on the same page, lol!
I am just getting whatever regular household pressure is for NG. I think it can be different in different states.
My flame has ranged from a super oxidizing flame, (hissing, short candles) to
A neutal flame when using the DC. The glass underneath has mostly been silvered glass, but it is completely encased, and most times heavily.
Old 2010-11-02, 10:07am

Hello this is Abe from Northstar I just wanted to let everyone know that we are going to come up with a way to make everyone feel better abou the DC problems and we will let you guys and gals know what we are doing in the next few weeks. We also hate to see this happen and feel sad that the DC has changed, we are not sure why. We love you guys and gals and care alot about what you do. We hope we can make everyone happy.
Abe