LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2015-11-29, 5:55pm
Glass Obsessed!

How would you insulate a floor? Hubby just finished assembling my "shedio" and I still have the opportunity to do so.

Thanks for all the pictures and information!
Old 2015-11-29, 6:19pm
Phill

I have seen 2 by 4s framing inch and a half foam sheets with half inch (or thicker ) plywood over that.

I have also seen 2 by 4s on edge framing double thicknesses of foam for more insulation.

If you use bat fiberglass under the floor joists you might want to nail quarter inch 'hardware cloth" under that to keep the critters from making a home in your nice warm insulation.

I have even seen foam sheets laid down under sheet plastic under concrete pours of 4 inches thick. The plastic prevents moisture from wicking up into the concrete.
Old 2016-01-03, 4:23pm

love this idea.....curious and want to see the final project and how you organized it.....I am also curious where you found the cool tool storage that you posted above....
Old 2016-01-06, 5:18am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

The big blue storage tower came from Global Industrial. http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/st...-drawer-system

You can order the cabinets and the spinning base individually to spread out the cost. It's pricey, but worth it. I did move it out of the studio and back into the house - it turned out that when I'm working on a piece of jewelry in the middle of the night I don't feel like going out in the dark to get a clasp. Go figure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2016-04-02, 4:47pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Here's the latest addition to the studio! DD is helping her husband's Nana downsize from a large house to an apartment. Her kids and grandkids have taken everything they want from the things she's not moving, and they're trying to find homes for the rest of it.

I got a call asking if I wanted a library card cabinet. We have one, it's fairly small, 2 rows of drawers about 12" deep; I assumed the one I was being offered was similar, and planned to put it in my workroom to hold jewelry tools.

We went over to pick it up, DD takes me down to the basement to look at it... it's almost 5' tall!

It's got 33 TWENTY INCH DRAWERS and 2 slots where the drawers are missing. There's an open slot in the bottom of each drawer, for the card file hardware, which DSIL's Grampa lined with a mix of scrap plywood, acrylic, and cardboard.

DD says "That's going to the studio with glass in it, right? The drawers are long enough?" I told her no, there's nowhere in the studio to put it.

We started pulling out the drawers to make it easier to wrestle up the basement stairs... and look at the liner in the very first drawer I opened. I took that as an omen, and rearranged the studio to make room.
Attached Images

L-111

Last edited by eregel; 2016-04-02 at 6:54pm.
Old 2016-04-02, 5:13pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Oh wow! Lucky lucky you, Pat!

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2016-04-02, 5:47pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I'd have been thrilled to find one to purchase; being gifted one is just amazing. Plus it's kind of cool that a piece that holds important family memories for my DSIL is staying (sort of) in the family.

L-111

Old 2016-04-03, 2:21pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

And it got better! Nana had 2 of the cabinets, but a family member had spoken for one of them.

Got a text last night that when she found out no one was going to carry it out of the basement, haul it to her house, and deliver it to the spot she was going to put it, and she and her husband were going to have to pick it up themselves she backed out! I've been half the day rearranging the studio to make space, but check it out!

We took the bases off both units so they don't block the window as badly. There are a few drawers (sitting on top of the units) that need some glue where the dovetails have come loose, and a few drawers need replacement handles - they've currently got cuphooks or screw eyes in place of the missing hardware.

And what's really ironic - there are 2 missing drawers; there are 2 drawers that I wouldn't be able to open due to the 2 handles on the dutch door. Kinda works out perfectly!

Half the contents of the studio are stacked in boxes; once I get it all put back away I'll take pictures of the new layout. I've made some changes I hadn't reported on yet.
Attached Images

L-111